AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #3,603 of 4,614
I returned my ap80 due to a wobbly volume wheel - just didn't really have the confidence in it lasting a long time, even sent Hidizs a video who seemed to think the wobble was acceptable.

Anyway, I miss the DAP and am considering another, I'd be ordering from Amazon UK and wondered if there was a way of ensuring the wheel didn't wobble or I assume its complete pot luck?
Does it wobble on every single device?
Is there a colour which wobbles less (perhaps qc was toghtened up after initial release)

Thanks
Mine was a Kickstarter dap, one year old now and always wobbly volume wheel. Never a problem. The wacky wheel was discussed a lot in this thread, my recollection being the wobbly wheel problem was not typical. Sure, it’s weird, but no problem overall with operation. You might do targeted search in the thread. Me, I wouldn’t worry about it. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,606 of 4,614
Can anyone confirm bi-directional bluetooth with firmware updates? I have the original firmware from Kickstarter and now have wireless headphones that will not play audio. Have searched the thread to no avail and your help is greatly appreciated. Might just make my Christmas more fun!!

Edit: YES!! I went ahead and updated to latest firmware version and it all works and sounds great.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,607 of 4,614
Hi
Anyone got any pictures of the AP80 in desktop stand they could describe of post a picture of. I want something that looks great and allows me to see album art. One problem is the bottom cable attachments.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to everyone.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,608 of 4,614
I caved and ordered another, blue this time

Fingers crossed the wheel is better than the last one I had (grey)

Having said that, there seems to be long term issues with the wheel anyhow

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #3,609 of 4,614
I've been using an AP-80 for over a year as my workout player - 3X for 1 1/2 hours every week - No issues except the case has developed a tear where the strap goes and I will have to replace it in a couple of months...No loosening of the wheel...the only other issue was I could not pair the AT M-50 BT to pair...every other BT, HP pairing has not been a problem.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #3,611 of 4,614
Have had zero problems with my AP80 since kickstarter. From day 1 the volume wheel will move a bit from side to side ONLY IF you push it from side to side. If you turn it with thumb and finger, there is no sideways movement. It does not turn well/smoothly using 1 finger. Using 1 finger over time could increase the wiggle over time. (Stress on the switch, etc...) Believe that the sideways movement is because the volume control is also an on/off switch. Some people report zero "wiggle" in the volume control. Unsure if it that means some are 100% resistant to movement when pushed sideways; Or if it means they have same as mine. Believe some people are sending back players that are 100% fine, and as designed. Just my thoughts...

Dec 24, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #3,612 of 4,614
I've been using an AP-80 for over a year as my workout player - 3X for 1 1/2 hours every week - No issues except the case has developed a tear where the strap goes and I will have to replace it in a couple of months...No loosening of the wheel...the only other issue was I could not pair the AT M-50 BT to pair...every other BT, HP pairing has not been a problem.

Have you tried changing the codec settings on the AP80? Some combinations of DAP and headphones get weird when they try to negotiate a codec. Try SBC and see if that works, then try AptX (which seems to be M-50 compatible).

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #3,613 of 4,614
Have had zero problems with my AP80 since kickstarter. From day 1 the volume wheel will move a bit from side to side ONLY IF you push it from side to side. If you turn it with thumb and finger, there is no sideways movement. It does not turn well/smoothly using 1 finger. Using 1 finger over time could increase the wiggle over time. (Stress on the switch, etc...) Believe that the sideways movement is because the volume control is also an on/off switch. Some people report zero "wiggle" in the volume control. Unsure if it that means some are 100% resistant to movement when pushed sideways; Or if it means they have same as mine. Believe some people are sending back players that are 100% fine, and as designed. Just my thoughts...

the volume wheel clicks, and so it doenst seem like its analogue but just clicking digitial buttons inside. so they should just get rid of it and have two volume buttons indead.

wheel is hardly needed anyway if you set replay gain tags in all your files

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,614 of 4,614
Hi
Anyone got any pictures of the AP80 in desktop stand they could describe of post a picture of. I want something that looks great and allows me to see album art. One problem is the bottom cable attachments.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to everyone.

my headhpone cable makes a 90 degree bend, which is better for the ap80 because it stays more out of the way in the hand.

ap80 is quite boxy. they could make it a bit longer and add more battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back