AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #3,256 of 4,614
I’m not sure if it is a translation error, but the physical sizes of the ap80 PRO (35mm x40mm x13.5 vs shanling m0 (40x45x13,5) m0 seem off. Despite the fact that it is smaller than the m0 and (much smaller than the ap80), the ap80 pro will have the same 2.4” display as standard 80.

If you have seen the 1.5” screen of the m0, it doesn’t look remotely possible to make such a big leap in screen size. Are there any side by side pictures of the ap80 and ap80 pro?

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3,257 of 4,614
I’m not sure if it is a translation error, but the physical sizes of the ap80 PRO (35mm x40mm x13.5 vs shanling m0 (40x45x13,5) m0 seem off. Despite the fact that it is smaller than the m0 and (much smaller than the ap80), the ap80 pro will have the same 2.4” display as standard 80.

If you have seen the 1.5” screen of the m0, it doesn’t look remotely possible to make such a big leap in screen size. Are there any side by side pictures of the ap80 and ap80 pro?
A few others in this thread have chalked it up to being an error. You’re absolutely right with regards to screen dimensions vs presumably erroneous body dimensions.

Personally, I would have zero interest in a DAP that is the same size or smaller than the Shanling m0.

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #3,258 of 4,614
Great review. Enjoyed it. Any comparison with Steel? 3 way comparison may be even more fun.

I could be mistaken, but I think Hidizs mentioned about possibility of sending SS model along with Pro for the next review. If that's going to happen, it will be a pure 4 way comparison since there is no need to cover this dap any further (in terms of functionality).

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #3,259 of 4,614
I could be mistaken, but I think Hidizs mentioned about possibility of sending SS model along with Pro for the next review. If that's going to happen, it will be a pure 4 way comparison since there is no need to cover this dap any further (in terms of functionality).

Housing: aluminum alloy,

Is that a typo, or is it still dyed anodized aluminum like all the other cases, but this time copper color? 880$ US is pretty expensive if the only thing changed is the color. Pretty sure the Pro will be less expensive than that. I asked them if they changed something in the internals, like soldering, or any component. I wonder if they will answer this time.

https://www.amazon.com/HIDIZS-Digit...id=1570463931&sprefix=hidizs,aps,162&sr=8-18&

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,260 of 4,614
Housing: aluminum alloy,

Is that a typo, or is it still dyed anodized aluminum like all the other cases, but this time copper color? 880$ US is pretty expensive if the only thing changed is the color. Pretty sure the Pro will be less expensive than that. I asked them if they changed something in the internals, like soldering, or any component. I wonder if they will answer this time.

https://www.amazon.com/HIDIZS-Digital-Domestic-Genuine-Products】【Ships/dp/B07VH2F577/ref=nav_signin?crid=2FLTSOUT23H0G&keywords=hidizs+ap80&linkCode=sl2&linkId=f3e1d1c1e632a9cce38a75e4c689b93d&qid=1570463931&sprefix=hidizs,aps,162&sr=8-18&

AP80 Copper price is $249. And it's a real copper metal, the weight it even a little heavier than SS model. I'm trying to get a hold of Hidizs rep to find out when and where it's going on sale (Copper is a brand new product). Since China was on holiday last week with everybody off, all the replies are delayed.

Regarding that Amazon listing, when it's that high it means they don't have it in stock and usually raise the price ridiculously high to keep the listing up, knowing that nobody going to click on purchase link. It's an old trick so they don't have to delete the listing.

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,261 of 4,614
AP80 Copper price is $249. And it's a real copper metal, the weight it even a little heavier than SS model. I'm trying to get a hold of Hidizs rep to find out when and where it's going on sale (Copper is a brand new product). Since China was on holiday last week with everybody off, all the replies are delayed.

Regarding that Amazon listing, when it's that high it means they don't have it in stock and usually raise the price ridiculously high to keep the listing up, knowing that nobody going to click on purchase link. It's an old trick so they don't have to delete the listing.
It's not really Amazon, its a third-party seller. Could be very small company or individual. Usually some jerk just trying to get a lot more than something is worth. Amazon allows it, because it does give some legitimate small companies a way to sell through them. But sometimes will take it down if you call their attention to it.

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #3,262 of 4,614
Ok, directly from Hidizs:

Me: "Is there a difference internally between the copper version and the aluminum one? Like soldering, component, etc."

Hidizs:

Thank you for your inquiry. The difference between AP80 Copper and other colors of AP80 is the difference in exterior color and material. AP80Copper is made of pure copper material with no surface treatment, so the body is easy to oxidize and reacts with sebum and oxygen in the air while using it. You can enjoy a variety of ways to enjoy, such as aging by oxidization, and enjoying the polished surface. The spec is the same performance. Best regards Sorry for my poor English.

You can decide for yourself from here on if it does affect the sound or not. As for myself I know the answer.

Have a good evening everyone.

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #3,263 of 4,614

Me: "Is there a difference internally between the copper version and the aluminum one? Like soldering, component, etc."

Hidizs:

Thank you for your inquiry. The difference between AP80 Copper and other colors of AP80 is the difference in exterior color and material. AP80Copper is made of pure copper material with no surface treatment, so the body is easy to oxidize and reacts with sebum and oxygen in the air while using it. You can enjoy a variety of ways to enjoy, such as aging by oxidization, and enjoying the polished surface. The spec is the same performance. Best regards Sorry for my poor English.

You can decide for yourself from here on if it does affect the sound or not. As for myself I know the answer.

And it makes complete sense.

If the Copper version sounds different, it is more likely that they may have tweaked the AP80 internals. What matters are the components in the PCB.

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #3,264 of 4,614

Hidizs:

For sure, I decided it for myself with both of them side by side, playing the same track, at the same gain setting, the same filter setting, the same volume setting, using the same pair of IEMs :wink:

The only thing, my aluminum version is pre-production final design where I have been told the only difference with KS version was a volume knob. As far as I can tell, these are 2 black boxes where I do hear a sound difference. But is it worth upgrading if you already have the original aluminum version? Not sure if it's a must have, more like a collectible limited edition copper unit with a fine tuned sound (that's how I hear it). I think at this point more people will be interested in Pro version and how it stacks up against the original one.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,265 of 4,614
For sure, I decided it for myself with both of them side by side, playing the same track, at the same gain setting, the same filter setting, the same volume setting, using the same pair of IEMs :wink:

The only thing, my aluminum version is pre-production final design where I have been told the only difference with KS version was a volume knob. As far as I can tell, these are 2 black boxes where I do hear a sound difference. But is it worth upgrading if you already have the original aluminum version? Not sure if it's a must have, more like a collectible limited edition copper unit with a fine tuned sound (that's how I hear it). I think at this point more people will be interested in Pro version and how it stacks up against the original one.
I love my Kickstarter original - way good sound! Anything more likely incremental.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #3,267 of 4,614
I was just informed by Hidizs, AP80 Copper is officially for sale on their site: https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80 and the price is $249.

Don't even bother with those Amazon rip off sellers who are asking 4x that much.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #3,268 of 4,614
Looks like the AP80 Pro has been officially added to their site:

5SheuV4.png

Perhaps price is soon to come.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,269 of 4,614
Looks like the AP80 Pro has been officially added to their site:

5SheuV4.png

Perhaps price is soon to come.

The redirection pretty much confirms it will be a Kickstarter campaign.

(I'd love if Hidizs would send a review sample for my Spanish audience...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back