AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #2,807 of 4,614
What's the latest firmware for this device? Haven't used it in a while. Wondering if there are any major updates/custom firmware's? TIA
1.0.1 Beta

https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center

I realized 2 days ago that a guy working on the device is here in this forum. Maybe we can ask nicely if he can push forward this amazing device.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,808 of 4,614
Thanks a bunch!

Yeah that is very disappointing to hear that no (substantial) update has been given for this device.... Funny prior to it's release it was being touted as going to turn a new page in Hidizs customer support track record .... apparently not.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #2,809 of 4,614
Did you read the sentence you are quoting ? (because the answer to your question is there : It's the sound quality that is severely broken, which can be noticed only on quiet passages of tracks, where the sound is full of noise and distortion, negating the superior hi-fi quality of DSD)

and what do you think about the sound of Shanling-m0?
What is the best small MP3 player in your opinion?

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #2,810 of 4,614
I don't have the Shanling M0. From what I read, it will be a question of synergy with the headphones and personal sound preferences. With good resolution headphones the AP80 is probably better. As is Hiby R3, but that one was more expensive at launch. I'm also rather impressed by the tiny AP80 that I use as USB DAC on my work PC (we don't have administrator rights to install drivers, but It's working none the less, and it's impressive with foobar2000 as player).

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #2,811 of 4,614
I don't have the Shanling M0. From what I read, it will be a question of synergy with the headphones and personal sound preferences. With good resolution headphones the AP80 is probably better. As is Hiby R3, but that one was more expensive at launch. I'm also rather impressed by the tiny AP80 that I use as USB DAC on my work PC (we don't have administrator rights to install drivers, but It's working none the less, and it's impressive with foobar2000 as player).

can you recommend some headphones for AP80? Thanks

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,814 of 4,614
The problem is well documented here on all firmware versions, including 1.0.1 which mine came with. It's a low-volume backgroud hiss/distortion noise which you wouldn't notice on loud tracks, such as on Thriller. Try listening to a jazz/folk/classical track with quiet bits and the noise is immediately apparent. What's more, the three DSD "ouput modes", ie PCM, DoP, and Native, produce exactly the same sound and noise, so I suspect these are fake settings too. I'm using a fast U3 SD card, with 100MB/s read speeds, and 24-bit 192KHz FLACs play fine, with a higher bit-rate than DSD. The device is unusable with DSD files as stands.

Ok, I finally notice the problem now. I bought an Amber Rubarth album in DSD and, while both music and recording are great, indeed some squishy noise comes through on the AP80.

It's playing fine on the AP100. A pity because imaging, sound stage and detail retrieval are superior with the AP80 and the binaural effect is more present there.

Will try it on the Hiby R3 soon.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #2,816 of 4,614
Ok, I finally notice the problem now. I bought an Amber Rubarth album in DSD and, while both music and recording are great, indeed some squishy noise comes through on the AP80.

It's playing fine on the AP100. A pity because imaging, sound stage and detail retrieval are superior with the AP80 and the binaural effect is more present there.

Will try it on the Hiby R3 soon.

waiting for the results of Hiby R3 before buying any MP3 player ...thanks

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #2,817 of 4,614
waiting for the results of Hiby R3 before buying any MP3 player ...thanks

Just tested on the Hiby R3. No squishy/bubbling sounds here and also the noise floor in general seems to be lower compared to the AP80. Imaging and sound stage are a tiny bit better on the AP80 but the R3 is very, very close. I would say both players are great for listening to binaural recordings due to their excellent detail retrieval. However, the AP80 may be marginally better suited as it is a bit more neutral whereas the R3 leans (a little bit) towards the musical side. A pity that the AP80 has the above mentioned issues with DSD so always better to go with FLAC on the AP80. Well, overall I would say the R3 is the better player.

In case you have not seen it, I also compared these two players previously in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-168#post-14730231

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #2,818 of 4,614
Just tested on the Hiby R3. No squishy/bubbling sounds here and also the noise floor in general seems to be lower compared to the AP80. Imaging and sound stage are a tiny bit better on the AP80 but the R3 is very, very close. I would say both players are great for listening to binaural recordings due to their excellent detail retrieval. However, the AP80 may be marginally better suited as it is a bit more neutral whereas the R3 leans (a little bit) towards the musical side. A pity that the AP80 has the above mentioned issues with DSD so always better to go with FLAC on the AP80. Well, overall I would say the R3 is the better player.

In case you have not seen it, I also compared these two players previously in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-168#post-14730231

If Hidizs creates a new update of the firmware of the AP 80, could the problem be solved with DSD?
because we also have to value the price between Hiby R3 and AP80, R3 is much more expensive

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,820 of 4,614
If Hidizs creates a new update of the firmware of the AP 80, could the problem be solved with DSD?
because we also have to value the price between Hiby R3 and AP80, R3 is much more expensive
So far, Hidizs has NOT shown any reasonable support for the AP80... :frowning2:
I guess they could potentially fix with FW update, but if I were you - I would NOT buy the AP80 until such update releases and fixes the problem!
Many (myself included) bought the AP80 early, based on features that were promised as FW upgrade, and at this point I seriously doubt we'll ever see those.
Not to mention the guy that was their voice here has disappeared never to be heard of again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back