Separate names with a comma.
Everyone seems to love the CCA C10, best value.
Any comparison between the AP80 and the R3? Which DAP sounds better or would be better for the size and price range?
Tin hifi T2 here, working fine with this dap.
I have both the AP80 and the R3. Both of them really exceeded my expectations and neither of them would disappoint you. These players compete with more expensive players like the Shanling M5.
Both R3 and AP80 are rather similar in terms of sound signature. The sound is very detailed and well balanced, bass is precise and a bit punchy and both separation and soundstage are really good.
More importantly, now the differences.
Overall the AP80 is a bit brighter compared to the R3 but also closer to what most people call neutral I would say. I think I prefer the slightly darker sound signature of the R3 by a tiny margin but it's a very, very close call.
- AP80 has a bit more emphasis in treble (never harsh though) while R3 has slightly recessed treble.
- Mids sound great on both but seem to be a tiny bit more forward on AP80. Neither player has emphasized mids. Vocals do not stand out in particular but are still very clear in the mix.
- There is more sub bass on R3 and bass has a bit more weight on R3. Still the AP80 has enough and good bass. I usually like to have good weight in the bass region and the AP80 does not sound thin in any way (as some Fiio players do). Also, the bass in the R3 seems to be a tiny bit more punchy but upper bass timbre seems to be more present with AP80.
- Soundstage seems to be a bit wider (and possibly deeper) on the AP80.
- Separation is great on both players.
- The R3 seems to be a tiny bit smoother yet more transparent in its presentation. I am using filter setting "Minimum phase AA" on R3 and "Apodizing Slow Rolloff" on AP80.
For comparison I used the AKG K545. May test with other headphones in the future.
Form factor and display are obviously different. The R3 has a bigger and better display, though the AP80 screen still looks very good. Touch response is a bit better on the R3.
Overall the R3 is the better package but is more expensive of course. I got mine for around 120 Pounds on Black Friday which is incredible value given the price. However, the same is true for the AP80 which I got on Kickstarter for around 90 Pounds. Given the current price of R3 probably the AP80 has better value/cost ratio.
Thank you very, very much for this reply. You help me a lot!
As the AP80 does not work too well with in-line remotes, has anyone experience how the Fiio M6 works with them?
Do all three buttons including volume control work as expected?
Just received my red unit and realized it has a defect. When I plug in to my 3.5mm jack the jack port seems to be loose or something inside causing it to hit the bottom of the screen with every movement you make to plug the 3.5mm jack in or out.
Couple of pics of AP80 with very good match (but pricy one). Like the combination, especialy with good texturing and delivery of lower end, wide stage and thick mids. Sound is accurately rendered and warm
My blog: https://wp.me/P7aCJQ-4W3
Playback mode: Shuffle
- The player doesn't show the actual number of a track in queue so you don't see how many tracks were already played and how many tracks remain.
- Upon restarting the player forgets which tracks from an album were already played and begins to play anew.
- The playback goes on repeat even after all tracks of an album have been played.
I have one for a few days now and it sounds pretty good especially for something so small.
I have a few issues though, like a unresponsive screen which is quite irritating.
It also does not remember the last song or even the folder played and I have to do a new search each time I turn it on.
Do I have to do a firmware update to improve the screen response?
Do you have "resume" turned on in the Player Settings? It ships with it turned off. I have mine set to "position" so it remembers where in the song to resume, but you have to manually go back to the player when it powers on, which is a little annoying.
Thanks for the reply but I do not see any option related in system settings.
Perhaps mine has been shipped with the first firmware even though I payed £150 - when some of you guys only payed $90!
I recently also got a new AP60 Pro which was defective from new!
When in the player mode... Swipe right once or twice. You will then see a menu. Click on player settings. Go down to Resume...
Well it is now the 23rd of January and Hidizs still hasn't delivered on all of the Kickstart pledges yet. This just isn't a joke anymore and this company just does not care. And yes I'm still one of those who have still not received their unit. Mine has been sitting about 2 hours away from me for about a week now and I've made up my mind this unit will go up for sale the day it arrives. I am not dealing with Hidizs on any warranty type of claims nor do I have any faith that they will continue to support this unit for any length of time with firmware.
The simple fact that I don't remember them making any comments in this thread since this blew up at the end of November is very telling. Oh and if you want blue or purple those can be had with 2 day shipping from Amazon. lol What an absolute joke!
First Blue AP80 in the wild
I'm charging it up right now so I haven't used it yet but the build quality on mine seems good no weird shaped or sticky buttons, no wobbly wheel, and the spring on the wheel is stiff. I really like the color blue they went with it looks even better in person.