AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,791 of 4,614
Thank you for your comments.
Where exactly did you buy the AP80? Do you recommend the seller?
What is the SD card that is recommended so that it does not freeze when reading? what do you have?
I think reading that review will help you more than what I will write:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...l&utm_source=watched_thread_reply_messagetext

But still I will give you my opinion.

I have been using the device around 12 hours a day for more than a month now with different headphones, earphone, amps, bluetooth devices (car). If I lost it I would buy it right away without any hesitation. It does exactly what I want for a portable device: Play my music and give me an astonishing sound. (I had problems with the battery longevity but not anymore I don't know why.)

I am a professional musician and I am surrounded by gears of all kind, synthesizers, guitars, violins, bass, plenty of PC with high end soundcards, mixing console, Multi effect, pedals, etc. I have multiple studio monitors with different amps and tube amps. I think I have a decent idea of what a good source sounds like. And this little boy here sound almost as much as good as my big rig (almost). I play and listen mostly to progressive rock and metal. And most albums I listen to are concept albums, so I don't wanna listen to them in a random way. So for me I don't really care if the device is able to scan my memory card or not or showing me the album art.

If going into folders like you do on a computer and selecting the albums you want to listen is ok with you, then you will love the way you can play your music.

With all the reviews I have read about the Shanling m0 it seem the device is amazing too. But for me it is too small. Even my AP80 is too small for my taste but I didn't want to spend more than what I already paid because I already have too much money to spend on real life. I won't go into details but my medication for Lyme disease each month cost me around 500$ just to still be able to walk, and I have a car and a house to pay.

You can pay in the thousand for a device like this, but seriously for me the AP80 is an amazing piece of gear and I don't feel the need to pay more than that. I will never pay 7-800$ CDN like I did as a teenage for my first Walkman CD. Yes the AP80 has some small problems. Sometimes it doesn't remember the song position if you restart the device. On some FLAC or DSD the EQ doesn't work (but for these albums you don't need EQ anyway).
The knob is wobbly, I still need to find a way to tightened it, I think I would just need to push it and turn it at the same time, but I am not the kind of guy who break stuff so I think I will ask the seller how to do it.

About support, I seriously think if we would write to the company and be polite about it, and ask them to please update the device, I think they would listen. They even answered me on Aliexpress during the weekend 2-3 hours after I wrote to them and they where really nice.
But pretty often I see comments just to insult them. Personally if you insult me I will never do anything for you.

Hidizs need to understand that they can make a lot of money with that device if they just give us a decent firmware. On my side 2 of my friends bought the device after hearing it, I just can't imagine what it would be like if people didn't have anything to complain about it, because seriously I think the biggest work has already been done on the device already and they just need to refine it now.

I hope it was helpful. Have a good day everyone.

What is the SD card that is recommended so that it does not freeze when reading? what do you have?

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,792 of 4,614
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,793 of 4,614

I am pretty new to Head-fi.org and I really don't wanna break any rules here I love the site and I wanna stay ^^.

I have seen in a couple of threads that we have here some sellers that we can't mention their names and I can't find the list anymore. (I have been looking for a good 15 minutes but I am old so I probably missed it)
But I think if I mention Aliexpress it is ok. You only have 2 sellers selling the AP80 on Aliexpress and I bought it from Brightaudio store. And yes I do recommend them
they always answer really fast and it took less than 2 weeks to get from China to Canada.
Right now on Ali it is written that its a pre sale and they will ship later this month and they give a 32G micro sd card with it. But I bought mine the 11 of February, unless they modified something its weird to call it a pre sale.

I will take the risk to give you the link. Please mods if I made a mistake just tell me and I will just delete the link I am just trying to help.
And about the best SD card I can only tell you to go back a couple of post in this thread you will find a better answer than what I can give you because the AP80 doesn't really like the one I am using right now.
But on the other hand I really don't have any problem playing files like DSD with this Micro SD card that some users here have.

The card I use:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have a good day and have fun with what you decide to buy.

AP80 on Ali:

http://tinyurl.com/y5ckxrnq

And btw if you order the device, when you receive it if you want a tip to set your sound:

Turn off the EQ, Play a high quality file and set the MSEB. (It will be different for all the headphones, earphones you own)
First set it to Middling tuning (push the small gear icon). Then go back to the sliders. Push them max left-right then back to the middle to tell your brain what they do and set them to your liking.
You will probably come back to some sliders to have a sound better to your liking. (Nobody hear the same anyway like no one fell in love with the same type of person, some people just have better taste. ^^)
Press the gear again and save your preset with the headphone name. Then if you feel the need set the equalizer.
Personally I don't always use the EQ but there is nothing wrong to use one, that's what sound engineers do every day to set their sound and sometimes they do a really bad job so you need to use an EQ.

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,794 of 4,614
I really don't have any problem playing files like DSD with this Micro SD card that some users here have.

The problems with DSD playback are not SD card related. No-one has problems playing DSD on this device. It's the sound quality that is severely broken, which can be noticed only on quiet passages of tracks, where the sound is full of noise and distortion, negating the superior hi-fi quality of DSD.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #2,796 of 4,614
So where's the problem?
Did you read the sentence you are quoting ? (because the answer to your question is there : It's the sound quality that is severely broken, which can be noticed only on quiet passages of tracks, where the sound is full of noise and distortion, negating the superior hi-fi quality of DSD)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #2,797 of 4,614
I am pretty new to Head-fi.org and I really don't wanna break any rules here I love the site and I wanna stay ^^.

I have seen in a couple of threads that we have here some sellers that we can't mention their names and I can't find the list anymore. (I have been looking for a good 15 minutes but I am old so I probably missed it)
But I think if I mention Aliexpress it is ok. You only have 2 sellers selling the AP80 on Aliexpress and I bought it from Brightaudio store. And yes I do recommend them
they always answer really fast and it took less than 2 weeks to get from China to Canada.
Right now on Ali it is written that its a pre sale and they will ship later this month and they give a 32G micro sd card with it. But I bought mine the 11 of February, unless they modified something its weird to call it a pre sale.

I will take the risk to give you the link. Please mods if I made a mistake just tell me and I will just delete the link I am just trying to help.
And about the best SD card I can only tell you to go back a couple of post in this thread you will find a better answer than what I can give you because the AP80 doesn't really like the one I am using right now.
But on the other hand I really don't have any problem playing files like DSD with this Micro SD card that some users here have.

The card I use:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have a good day and have fun with what you decide to buy.

AP80 on Ali:

http://tinyurl.com/y5ckxrnq

And btw if you order the device, when you receive it if you want a tip to set your sound:

Turn off the EQ, Play a high quality file and set the MSEB. (It will be different for all the headphones, earphones you own)
First set it to Middling tuning (push the small gear icon). Then go back to the sliders. Push them max left-right then back to the middle to tell your brain what they do and set them to your liking.
You will probably come back to some sliders to have a sound better to your liking. (Nobody hear the same anyway like no one fell in love with the same type of person, some people just have better taste. ^^)
Press the gear again and save your preset with the headphone name. Then if you feel the need set the equalizer.
Personally I don't always use the EQ but there is nothing wrong to use one, that's what sound engineers do every day to set their sound and sometimes they do a really bad job so you need to use an EQ.

Thanks Seb Julien

Also i saw AP80 in Ali TakstarAudio Store , do you know this seller?

I have doubts with this cards;

SD, A2, hasta 170 MB/s, Class 10, U3 vs V30 or 100 MB/s, Clase 10, U3, V30 y A1

is to avoid slowness and freezing

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07FCMWCVB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06XYT37NK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1

Thanks

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #2,798 of 4,614
Oops...sorry for using the wrong language. :cold_sweat: For some reason, all Google results point out to "dobryj den" being the standard Ukrainian equivalent of "hello". Looks like those are wrong, then.
Really late reply, but... Dobryj den seems more correct to me , than 'dobrogo dnya'. Polish uses the same form (except for the words order) : Dzien dobry ! Czech too : Dobry den ! ('dobrogo dnya' is the genitive case of the same words, it doesn't sound right to me to use the genitive instead of the nominative form, as in polish and czech).

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #2,799 of 4,614
Did you read the sentence you are quoting ? (because the answer to your question is there : It's the sound quality that is severely broken, which can be noticed only on quiet passages of tracks, where the sound is full of noise and distortion, negating the superior hi-fi quality of DSD)
I am sorry I am pretty sick today to go back and try to find the DSD albums you mentioned. You probably wrote the names in one of your post. But if you feel like it tell me the albums names I can try on my side if I have the same problems as you do. (Unless it is Hip-Hop or Rap...)
Because since I have read your post yesterday I have been listening to 3 of my DSD albums and on my side I never heard any hiss, noise, hum, distortions, etc.
The albums where: the Best of Santana, The Police Synchronicity, Deep Purple In Rock. And all of them sounded great.
Sadly you are probably right and on your side its the hardware fault, but as long as I didn't hear your files I can't say if my AP80 will sound the same.

Thanks Seb Julien

Also i saw AP80 in Ali TakstarAudio Store , do you know this seller?

I have doubts with this cards;

SD, A2, hasta 170 MB/s, Class 10, U3 vs V30 or 100 MB/s, Clase 10, U3, V30 y A1

is to avoid slowness and freezing

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07FCMWCVB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06XYT37NK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1

Thanks

I am really I really don't know this seller, And for the micro SD card there are too many model to vouch for one. You really should go back and read what the others mentioned in the last 4-5 pages. Some users here says they don't have any problems with a lot of card.

Have a good day everyone.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,800 of 4,614
Really late reply, but... Dobryj den seems more correct to me , than 'dobrogo dnya'. Polish uses the same form (except for the words order) : Dzien dobry ! Czech too : Dobry den ! ('dobrogo dnya' is the genitive case of the same words, it doesn't sound right to me to use the genitive instead of the nominative form, as in polish and czech).
Wow I made that post almost 5 months ago, LMAO :joy:

Well, the person I'm referring to that post said that he doesn't speak that language, so whatevs.

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #2,804 of 4,614
The problems with DSD playback are not SD card related. No-one has problems playing DSD on this device. It's the sound quality that is severely broken, which can be noticed only on quiet passages of tracks, where the sound is full of noise and distortion, negating the superior hi-fi quality of DSD.
I wonder if its picking up the native noise that DSD suffers from in the high treble region? Red book CD and HD PCM files do not suffer from this noise. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/248356/2cf6e385-7f1d-4fe8-94fc-b5bd2861825f/ Check out the link from a man who knows his HiRes stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back