AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Sep 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,166 of 4,614
So, I paid no attention to my AP80 when I first got it because there was ZERO AAC support despite it being said there'd be support. I powered it on for the first time in forever just today, updated to the latest firmware and my iPhone still connects over SBC. Is this expected?

The software on this thing is still absolutely atrocious. The touchscreen doesn't respond sometimes, menus are INCREDIBLY poorly designed. Not what expected 9 months in.
I prefer the sound quality of the AP80 over a shanling m0, a fiio m5, and very likely the Shanling m2x. Im sure you updated your firmware version...the ap90 is MILES ahead of the earlier firmware versions of the M0 and M5 in terms of usability and screen response

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #3,168 of 4,614
Eh... I may be missing something here but my AP80 has always supported AAC - headphone out or bluetooth, zero issues.

For Phone -> AP80 -> Headphones? I connect my phone and it's SBC only and there's no AAC option. Just LDAC, UAT, AptX and SBC. It is SERIOUSLY a glaring issue and makes the AP80 useless to me. I don't want my music on the AP80. I have a phone with all my music on it. I wanted a solution for audio that didn't involve an Apple camera kit or something else. I wanted something that'd give me from freedom from the cables. If earlier in this thread it had been made clear AAC wouldn't be supported I'd have never wasted my money.

Unless there's actually a planned AAC BT codec implementation, I'm just going to sell this thing off and never touch Hidzis again.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,169 of 4,614
For Phone -> AP80 -> Headphones? I connect my phone and it's SBC only and there's no AAC option. Just LDAC, UAT, AptX and SBC. It is SERIOUSLY a glaring issue and makes the AP80 useless to me. I don't want my music on the AP80. I have a phone with all my music on it. I wanted a solution for audio that didn't involve an Apple camera kit or something else. I wanted something that'd give me from freedom from the cables. If earlier in this thread it had been made clear AAC wouldn't be supported I'd have never wasted my money.

Unless there's actually a planned AAC BT codec implementation, I'm just going to sell this thing off and never touch Hidzis again.

You could always put your music on the 80 and control it from your phone. No cables and better than any bt codec could ever be. Any reason why you don't want your music on it?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #3,170 of 4,614
You could always put your music on the 80 and control it from your phone. No cables and better than any bt codec could ever be. Any reason why you don't want your music on it?

Just another thing to keep synced up. Also, my car doesn't handle line in very well - so I much prefer the simplicity of using BT from my phone for everything, understanding of course BT isn't great...

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #3,171 of 4,614

I don't have experience with this. The difference is adding a phone to the equation, I don't have any reason to ever do that. That being said, I think its a (mostly) fantastic small player, yes there are a few quirks but for the money it sounds fantastic.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #3,172 of 4,614
Just another thing to keep synced up. Also, my car doesn't handle line in very well - so I much prefer the simplicity of using BT from my phone for everything, understanding of course BT isn't great...
Fair Enough. You might try the radsone ear studio es100. It has an extremely good iPhone app (no idea about android). While the app is not required to use it, the ES100 has a ton of options for excellent sound for the price.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #3,173 of 4,614
This combination really brings the BEST out of Tin Hifi P1 the planar.

The problem though. It’s drawing A LOT of power from the AP80. I only played a few songs for 20 min and there’s only 72% left on the AP80! I’m sure it’s not the fiio because it didn’t lose much power. I should post this on AP80 thread as well

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #3,174 of 4,614
If I play the remastered Dark Side of the Moon CD, there is a smooth transition between the first and second tracks, you hardly notice it.

When I play my ripped FLAC version on the AP80, there is a very abrupt transition - it aint nice. I tried “cross fade” but that removed too much music.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,177 of 4,614
Where can I buy this in EU? I don't want to deal with customs and/or long delivery time.

Have you tried Amazon? I know both the US and Canadian sites have it. Might be on the various EU sites.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #3,179 of 4,614
Noob question,
I'm using the AP80 as a source, with headphone jack connected to my Oppo HA-2 dac/amp to power my Sennheiser HD650's. The sound is extraordinary.
Which dac am I hearing the decoding from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back