Any reason to buy closed headphones
Jul 9, 2020 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Johnny Golden

Head-Fier
For home use in private is there any reason to use closed back headphones?.

Let's assume ideal open back headphone conditions. What SQ advantages do closed back headphones have. I can't imagine any and yet people buy high end closed back headphones for home use, even when they own other high end open back headphones.

Really I'm just trying to figure out if I need to drop a bit of dough on some closed back headphones.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 30
The one key advantage is the ability to isolate the sound to your ears without you disturbing others around you and if sealed correctly isolates them from you. Most seem to have a slight sub bass advantage but it really depends on what models we are comparing.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 30
Apart from blocking sounds out there are some technical imperfections than can be very pleasing to the ears, like some cup reverb and the more closed-in sensation can be very immersive. And there is this sense of soundstage depth, because of the confined space.
I certainly don't feel that open headphones are superior.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 30
From a technical standpoint, open-back headphones are generally superior to closed-backs in a few key areas - staging size and imaging are some of the more pertinent ones.

Nevertheless, I prefer closed-backs for their intimacy; I'm not a fan of an airy, wide sound, to be honest. I greatly enjoy the 'in your head' presentation that is a hallmark of options in this category. Coupled with typically stronger lows, closed headphones provide a greater sense of engagement and fun with my favorite genre of music, EDM.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 30
Mainly so I don't bother my neighbors when I want to crank up some chalga or other tunes or movies, esp. late at night. And for the bass.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 30
Open all the way for me. Plus if I'm in my house alone, I want to hear if someone has broken in and is creeping up on me with bad intentions - hhahahaha

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 30
IMO if hp's as are a serious hobby for you, you need a closed back or two in your collection. A good closed back can sound fairly open yet more intimate than an open hp. There are also the bass cannons out there if thats your thing. Also I have noticed that a cb can do some holographic tricks that you might not expect.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 30
IMO if hp's as are a serious hobby for you, you need a closed back or two in your collection. A good closed back can sound fairly open yet more intimate than an open hp. There are also the bass cannons out there if thats your thing. Also I have noticed that a cb can do some holographic tricks that you might not expect.
I just bought some new Z1Rs and they do some things, including some sumptuous bass, that the opens have a hard time with.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 30

The best sounding closed cans I ever heard were the MrSpeakers E1.1 w/ mods, it has a lot going for it, but when stacked up against my HFM cans - no, plus used prices are steep. Not interested in a small soundstage unless the fidelity is very high, and piles of very short waves bouncing around a closed can pretty much ends the chance of fidelity. All the others I have tried were brutal in one way or another. Not interested in mega phony bass.

What holographic tricks are those?

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 30
Also, the cost and accessibility. There are alot more options to choose from in a lower price range in closed headphones. And many don't sound half bad. And thanks to projects like the Harman curve, they are only gettin better. Open-back headphones that actually sound good tend to be fewer and farther between, and more costly. Whether that was always the case, I dunno. But it is certainly the way things have been trending in recent years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back