any reason for me to get a zune 80 over an ipod classic 80?
Dec 13, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dock output is supposed to be exactly the same so hopefully you arent getting the dock as a line out.

Ya, unless he needs a place to sit it and maybe charge it or sync it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont mean to rain on the pro zune rally here, but I think my best bet is to grab a ipod 80 since if i saw "i want a ipod 80" at 5:00PM, I can come home and start to sync it by 5:20, whereas the zune is more expensive and will take a while to get here, and if I dont like the ipod, its another 20 odd minutes to return it, but with the zune itll take longer

anyone see any problems with this? or anything that will make me dislike the ipod?

thanks

the ipod is a nice device, millions sold, more accessories than any other. The Zune 80 has some features (screen, controls, wifi, FM) and very high quality SQ (better than my Karma and ZVM never heard a 6G ipod though)...that make me think it is a better choice than the 80GB iPod.

That said, if you can't buy a Zune and if you do you have limited return options, don't feel any of the above reasons are big ones for you, go for an iPod.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #19 of 78
@ amblin, i live in canada and work at a major electronics store and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the zune isn't available in any major stores

just wanted to give my two cents about the zune features:

screen- big screen is nice, I won't watch movies on it much, but video out would be awesome

controls- yeah i have to admit ,these are pretty cool, touch pad + tactile is great

wifi- i dont have wifi set up in my house, but it would be cool to trade songs with my friends using the school wifi

fm- don't really care or use this, there is ONE radio show I may be interested in but its on the internet anyway

OH and how is the zune software? and how does it compare to itunes? I've already got tons of podcasts and movies in itunes and if i decide to get zune, will all my podcasts and movies flip over seamlessly?

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer the thread title: No.

Yes, so you don't to buy a: 160 gb iPod Classic -> ALO Jumbo Cryo -> RSA Tomahawk, like, mrdeadfolx did.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

@ amblin, i live in canada and work at a major electronics store and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the zune isn't available in any major stores

just wanted to give my two cents about the zune features:

screen- big screen is nice, I won't watch movies on it much, but video out would be awesome

controls- yeah i have to admit ,these are pretty cool, touch pad + tactile is great

wifi- i dont have wifi set up in my house, but it would be cool to trade songs with my friends using the school wifi

fm- don't really care or use this, there is ONE radio show I may be interested in but its on the internet anyway

OH and how is the zune software? and how does it compare to itunes? I've already got tons of podcasts and movies in itunes and if i decide to get zune, will all my podcasts and movies flip over seamlessly?

Ah, well I was under the impression you lived in the US, and you were talking about the early on shortage of Zune 80s we had, but since you live in Canada, well, its not sold for retail there.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer the thread title: No.

Useless response.

There are reasons to buy Zune over iPiod and there are reasons to buy iPod over Zune.
It all depends on what features are important to YOU.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #23 of 78
Just be patient it will be in Canada soon. There's a lot of info about this around the zune sites already if you do some googling.

I'm in Vancouver, and found many Zune 30's for sale on craigslist. Go to ebay if you can't wait. But if you just want it now, it's obvious that no one here can convince you not to buy an ipod. After owning every model for years, I switched and I'm very happy with my zune30.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Useless response.

There are reasons to buy Zune over iPiod and there are reasons to buy iPod over Zune.
It all depends on what features are important to YOU.

best answer yet ,for me personally it would be the 160gb i-pod being able
to have almost all my favorites in lossless priceless but the player that
suits your needs best would be money spent wisely.

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #25 of 78
I have to admit, I just tried the Zune software and it kicks the balls out of iTunes, thats another point for the dark- i mean zune side

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

I have to admit, I just tried the Zune software and it kicks the balls out of iTunes, thats another point for the dark- i mean zune side

Hah! You got it the wrong way around pal. Apple is the big enormous killer organization, Steve Jobs, Darth Vader. the iPod is its death star, and sound quality is the 2M wide exhaust port.

Microsoft is the safe refuge known as Alderaan, Obi-Wan AKA Bill Gates, their Zune is their Luke Skywalker, and sound quality is the force.

Yeah, Ok I put a bit too much thought into it. Oh well.
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 78
I've not seen the new Zune Marketplace program if there is one, but the version that came with the 1st Gen Zune I bought is not as elegant as iTunes IMO. I do understand the ABI sentiment espoused by many - I too am somewhat of a contrarian.

But to see Microsoft in this underdog role in a business category surely demonstrates the folly of such arbitrary allegiances. To align oneself with David in this instance is to ride squarely on Goliath's shoulders.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 78
oh ahha that last comment was totally random, and the whole dark side thing was just a lame joke

but anyway, I've been thinking and I dont really use video a heck of a lot, but i want to hook it up to my tv so which player has better video out? and which player is cheaper to impliment video out?

and i know I asked this already, but how is the lack of EQ? TBH I dont use the eq settings on my creative but does the lack of it hurt quality or anything?

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5.5 iPod is the easiest to do video out since it can use the headphone jack without an expensive docking station.

Zune does this as well.

O'Reilly -- Five Zune Secrets You Need to Know
Zune (second generation, 80GB, black) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews apparently much better than iPod at video out...
"Although the Zune's screen displays at a 320x240 resolution, video files stored on the Zune can be as large as 720x480 and played at full resolution through the composite video output built into the Zune's headphone jack. An optional Zune AV dock can output video using a higher quality component cable. Unlike the iPod, the Zune's built-in video output mirrors its onscreen display, which means that all of the Zune's features (including menus) can display on your TV."

$2 on ebay....Zune also sends the menus to the screen, and you can leave it by the TV and sync wirelessly, and it supports FULL dvd rez. Now you won't get the full progressive out without a dock and component output, but either way, it is good...and it is easy, and it is cheap.

Still if you really want it good you can have H.264 at 480p at 30 fps output over component using the dock... not really a contest in the video department.

EQ...always nice to have options...but for no EQ sounds great. IMO no EQ on Zune 80 is better than with EQ on my Creative ZVM or Karma, but YMMV depending on source material and electronics you may be trying to compensate for.

Basically the Zune is far better than the iPod in all areas of video support and output, other than a lack of online options to buy download video content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back