any mountain bikers here?
Apr 3, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
I've decided that I need a bike. I'd prefer a mountain bike, but a good portion of the riding will probably be on-road. I really know nothing about bikes, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. Is there anything good in the $5-$600 range? I'm about 6" tall and 165 lbs., if that matters. TIA

Apr 3, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 58
I love to bike random trails (usually break trail, and make my own path, hehe).
smily_headphones1.gif
You're not going to get bike recommendations from me. This is something you REALLY have to go out and test ride.

I like Giant and GT bikes myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 58
I agree with A & M, even more than audio components, bikes must be auditioned and test ridden since the geometry can be crucial to how well you and the bike mesh.

As for me, a 1994 Bridgestone MB-1 (last year they were sold in the U.S) and a Cannondale road bike.

Reminder to self; set aside more time for biking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 58
How much time will you spend off-road, and what kind of "off-road" is it?

If you'll be doing any kind of serious off-road biking, then stick with a mountain bike and get a set of road tires for everyday use. But if your "off-road" riding consists of trails that aren't too rough, and you'll spend most of your time on-road, you might prefer a hybrid. A hybrid gives you a much more comfortable ride and will be better suited for road riding.

Just something to think about. Since most of my off-road biking is dirt trails and hills, rather than rocky inclines, and most of my overall riding is either on-road or flat dirt, I use a hybrid. I really like Marin hybrids; the San Anselmo and Saulsalito are both under $600 and great bikes:
http://www.marinbikes.com/2002bikes/...m/SANANSEL.jpg
http://www.marinbikes.com/2002bikes/...m/SAUSALIT.jpg

Of course, hybrids stink if you're doing hard-core mountain biking
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 58
I've got a Super V 500 mountain bike by Cannondale and I LOVE it.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you were looking for a road bike, then I'd tell you CANNONDALE. If you were looking for a mountain bike, I would tell you CANNONDALE. That's obviously IMO, but it is a fact that their bikes will last. I'm not sure how cost effective they are, however. From some bike shops you can get good deals on models that are being retired, and thus are inherently being sold at a lower price because the shop wants them out. That's what happened to me; Cannondale no longer makes a Super V 500 MTn bike, only a Super V 300 and a Super V 800. It was originally priced at around $1500, I got it for $750.
eek.gif
cool.gif

And I guess the contagious headphone fetish around here isn't the only way to drain your wallet . . . just leave it to you guys to find other ways . . . . . .
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 58
As already posted, ya gotta test the ride! Something else I would do, go to bike shops near colleges. They sometimes have a free bulletin board where people post pixs of bikes they are trying to sell cheap! (In addition to bike accs.).
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 58
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. I understand that I'll have to test ride, but I'm trying to at least narrow the filed somewhat - are there any companies that I should definitely look into/avoid?

TQG - My impression of Cannondale has always been that they're not great when you're looking at a low-cost bike, and that others usually have better components at the same price point. I'll check them out, but is this still the case or am I a dumbass?

MacDEF - to be honest I'm not sure. I graduate in May, and I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to end up in a few months. I'll definitely check out the Marins.

Enigma - I'm at college now, so I'll go looking tomorrow. BTW, I like the avatar.
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 58
I need to get a steel bike. Aluminum frames keep breaking on me. I am cruel on my bikes.
biggrin.gif

Can't stress how important good gears are. Even if you're on a tight budget, don't settle for a bike thats got a medicore drivetrain.

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 58
I wouldn't discount aluminum frames all together, you may not be looking at the right material or grade of alum. Large/powerful riders using frames made out of 7000 series aluminum say they stand up very well. This grade of material has a very high strength/weight ratio, but in a road bike is known to have a very STIFF fatiguing ride. With a mountian bikes large low pressure tires, and suspension on frames, this is not a problem.

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 58
I cannot stress how important it is to get the right size bike as few other posters mentioned. You might want to check out www.mtbr.com although you may end up getting more advice than you really wanted/needed. A good mountain bike can be had for around the budget you set- look into Giant, Trek, Haro, Gary Fisher or more fringe companies like Kona or Rocky Mountain. I'd add a good slick ( etc. Specialized Fat Boy- a 1.25" slick tire ) for your road use. I'd stay away from road bike simply because it's too specific unless long road tour is in your planning. A good drive-train (usually Shimano or SRAM), a decent front suspension (which can be upgraded if you decide to go hardcore), a good pedal, a good set of wheels can make a world of difference. Steel frames are more forgiving and compliance especially regarding road or trail bumps but aluminium may suit a heavier rider (the bike won't feel so mushy).
The best advice is to go to your local bike store (LBS) and ask and try as many bikes as possible.

Ride easy.

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 58
Can they handle a downhill tumble smashing into a thick tree? (that's how most of my bike casualties have died)
Tell you the truth, I don't like front shocks. I wouldn't mind a rear suspension though.

Apr 4, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 58
I live 5 minutes away from one of the best MTB trails in the Midwest: Sugar Bottom. I have thoroughly thrashed this trail (10 miles of technical single track) over the past 4 years on a Gary Fisher Paragon. This bike is over your price range, but Fisher does have decent cheaper bikes. Trek also offers good bang for the buck.

I have crashed many times on my aluminum Fisher and its fine.

oh yeah, dont make the mistake of buying a hybrid and then try to take it on a serious MTB trail. I spent $600 on a hybrid Cannondale only to find myself getting wasted when I took it to Sugar Bottom

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 58
I have a Cannondale F400. At the time I bought it at full price, ~$800 I think, it was somewhere in the low-middle end of C's lineup. I am not sure about Cannondales current offerings. It has a fantastically light, yet sturdy frame that is/was carried up the Cannondale line, albeit with better components. I am relatively light (5'9", 150lbs) but don't mind the stiiffness of aluminum. It is so light, I can pick it up with one hand without even thinking. This is no small consideration when you are biking up a steep hill, or after a day on the trails and you have to load it onto a car rack/pickup bed/van/up several flights of stairs.

Other manufacturers have decent offerings as well. But they usually have the design philosphy of keeping all of the components at the same level. That's fine too. I personally have never regreted investing more in the base frame with the potential to upgrade the individual components later if I wished. Barring any breakage, I will probably have it for life (although titanium frames do have a certain allure).

If you are going to be changing tires frequently (or at all), I suggest getting a model with quick release hubs on the front AND back (not always present on lower priced models). I absolutely agree that it should be properly sized by a knowledgable bike shop tech. Find one locally that you trust (and ideally is within walking distance
wink.gif
. Lastly, I instruct you with all of my might to get a good fitting helmet, and WEAR IT! No joke.

Good luck on your future purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back