Any good headphones for Rap/Hip Hop/Other Genres?
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GCastro

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! 

Glad I joined the community...I recently picked up a pair of AKG F550's. I've watched a few reviews on youtube, read posts on this forum and I was sold on them. I got my package today, gave them a listen and they sounded incredible...I just want a little more bass. I returned them because the build quality has gone extremely down. I thought they were built out of aluminum but mine were all plastic which was a bummer. I did love the sound quality of them and the fact they're closed back headphones. I do understand you have to listen up to 100 hours before they "burn" in, but even with my e10 on bass boost it wasn't something I wanted. Also I made sure they were sealed perfectly...

Anyways, I've owned 2 pairs of Beat by Dre's but hated them. I loved there simplicity and there sound wasn't that bad for the type of music I listen to. I had the Studios/Pro's. Studios I loved the bass in those, but sometimes at high volumes they'd hurt my ears and they leak like crazy. Vocals would get distorted, etc...You guys know. Beat Pro's squeezed my head and I got headaches.

The type of headphones i'd like would be something that sound identical to the AKG F550's but with more bass. I hate the look of DJ headphones, so i don't want anything looking too crazy. I'd use these majority for home/school use. I was originally interested in the Sennheiser HD600 / 650's but they're open backs. If the leaking isn't that bad, I may go with the sennheiser HD650's. 

I don't consider myself a basshead at all, I love balance with highs & mids, but some days i'd like alittle bass if i'm in the mood :)

Things I'd like in a good pair of cans
- Under $450 
- Can require an amp (I have a Fiio E10 hopefully this is something I could work with)
- Aesthetically pleasing / Simple design 
- Closed back or Open Back 
- Minimal Leaking (if possible)

Genre of music I listen to:
- Rap / Hip Hop
- Soft Rock 
- Pop 
- Rock

Let me know what you guys think I may look into. 

Thanks! 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Contradictory.

HD650s suck for hip-hop.

Off the top of my head:
AT esw9
AT es10
Denon D2000
M-Audio Q-40

It's kind of hard to recommend anything because your requirements are pretty broad.

True haha, But i was open to open back suggestions aswell. But I prefer closed because leaking would be somewhat less. 

I went the broad description route because with rap/hip hop everything gets alittle washed up with the bass, especially the highs. But I just want something thats great quality and performs well with the genre's I mentioned. 

I'll check the 4 you recommended me, I appreciate it! 

Quote:
hip hop and rap really work well with orthos
check out the hifiman he400

Sweet, thanks! 

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

just saw that you want something that doesnt leak but the hifiman do
but give them a look because they impressed me the most out of all of the heaphones ive tried

I'm actually reading up on them right now, but they are open so leaking would be pretty high. I see them as mainly for home use. They do sound tempting to get though, I might give those a shot. They look pretty nice too haha. Maybe i could just deal with a decent pair of in-ear for school or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back