Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
May 11, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 435
Curious how this will compare to other highly regarded headphones for gaming, if its lighter than the LCD2C it will solve a problem many complain about with the LCD series. Never used a LCD for competitive gaming before, but for atmospheric single player games I have used them often.

May 11, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #32 of 435
It looks Pretty. Probably the best option for me compared to the Mobius. But open back is not good for office usage

May 11, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #34 of 435
I'm gonna play devils advocate and say I personally I don't much see the point in a product like this, especially at this price point. Isn't the point of having a built in mic typically a cost saving measure and a convenience thing? It makes sense in a 50-150 dollar or so headphone, but at $900, you could buy a really really nice headphone of your choosing and use something like a mod mic. Or heck, at this price an xlr mic with a preamp. And if cables aren't your thing antlion makes a wireless mod mic. Most gamers would probably never buy something so high end, and most audiophiles that can afford this probably already have a setup.

So, I mean the Mobius did incredibly well, and I think the folks at Audeze know what they're doing; I'm sure the GX will do well too. But man am I ever in the dark on this one O.O Maybe it's just me? They sure look incredible anyway.

May 11, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #35 of 435
Definitely the latter. Gotta remember that adding gaming in front of something immediately sells more to a specific demographic. It's absolutely essential to add gaming in front of products. A known fact. Audeze knows what they're doing. Hahaha
Noted.

I'd love to get one, but I would use it exclusively for music via an amp.

May 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 435
Since I straddle both the audiophile and gaming worlds I can tell you that for most gamers that the Audeze will be a huge step up in evolution. Sound quality until recently wasn't even a factor to be looked at until Steelseries decided to whip out this:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac which isn't the best for audiophiles but honestly relative to other gaming headsets (like the Corsair Void Pro which is meh sound) will kick total butt.
In fact, Steelseries built an external DAC for headsets too. https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/gamedac is their external accessory to cover high resolution files for headsets.

Sadly enough, Best Buy won't carry Audeze products but this would be a hit if the GX was on the shelves. Even though the iSine 10's being at the Apple Store was a total bust for Audeze, this would be make more since because I think Best Buy folks tend to spend more for electronic goods than the average Apple user.

May 11, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #38 of 435
The drivers are specifically tuned for the GX. The GX is its own thing. No fazor, single fluxor magnet, you really can't just outright compare it to other LCDs in terms of mechanics.

As for the weight, it's definitely nowhere near 600g. It feels around the weight of the Ananda if just a tad more so my guess would be in the 400-450g range. But the headband really helps make it feel like less.

It's really attractive in person too. I didn't like the aesthetics of the old bamboo lcd2, and somehow the GX looks really pretty to me.

The GX still has that big, bold, LCD sound, so don't worry about it sounding compromised.

No fazor is interesting. My big ears can't stand fazors.

I may consider these since I miss the Audeze sound. Just bought the Aeon Flow Open though, and I already use my Z1R for gaming, so not sure if I really need them... Maybe if it's an improvement over the AFO silky smooth sound.

May 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #39 of 435
I'm gonna play devils advocate and say I personally I don't much see the point in a product like this, especially at this price point. Isn't the point of having a built in mic typically a cost saving measure and a convenience thing? It makes sense in a 50-150 dollar or so headphone, but at $900, you could buy a really really nice headphone of your choosing and use something like a mod mic. Or heck, at this price an xlr mic with a preamp. And if cables aren't your thing antlion makes a wireless mod mic. Most gamers would probably never buy something so high end, and most audiophiles that can afford this probably already have a setup.

So, I mean the Mobius did incredibly well, and I think the folks at Audeze know what they're doing; I'm sure the GX will do well too. But man am I ever in the dark on this one O.O Maybe it's just me? They sure look incredible anyway.

very interested to which lcd they are comparable in sound

May 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #40 of 435
If the GX is comparable to the LCD-2, except with a lighter magnesium chassis, then it'll be quite the proposition. Plus at $100 cheaper than the LCD-2 what more could you ask for if they are similar in performance.

Like others have said I could care less about the "gaming" gimmick with the microphone shenanigans. If they offer the GX without the microphone for $50 less that would be ideal. Or subbing in a carrying case for the microphone would be cool.

May 11, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #41 of 435
The price surprises everyone! I believe they are playing smart and aiming the gamer domain but not sure about the comfort level. Will be following the reviews...

May 11, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #42 of 435
So....how much is this thing going to weigh?
Exactly what I was going to ask. I'm surprised Audeze doesn't list this basic spec on their site, I guess its nothing to brag about. For extended use like gaming, this is crucial information.

May 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #44 of 435
Not really a fan of the marketing approach here.

4x bigger drivers ? than what ? other dynamics ? apples an oranges ? one of the top headphones I’ve ever heard has 40mm drivers. Size matters suddenly when comparing different designs and tech ? Come on.....

I feel like there are too many LCDs now. They should have taken a page from Hifiman and came up with cool names. its gonna confuse people. MX4? GX? 4Z ?

dont release a GZ4 whatever u do....

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #45 of 435
The G is clearly Gaming. I think that itself helps differentiate what they're aiming this towards. I don't think it's that confusing.

Yes, you can slap the mic cable on any other LCD, but their sensitivities may not be as broad and easy to drive, the double magnet arrays are definitely heavier, and the tonal balance may not be as skewed towards being gamer friendly as these.

Like the LCD2 definitely was too warm and soft in treble to truly make them ideal. The GX def has some detail presence not found on the LCD2, for one.

So yes, there are detailed LCDs out there that would be good for gaming. But they're not at this price range, not this light, or not this sensitive. You have to take all those factors into account. Audeze tuned these specifically to hit a specific sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back