Anedio D2 DAC release
May 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,261 of 1,416
Thanks for the impressions and the other LS brands you mentioned (checking them out now). I wonder if James is thinking of releasing an A2 Amp, since their A1 is discontinued. That would be a great solution. I guess a pair of decent active speakers could be a good and priceworthy option, but not the best solution.
I want to build a small sub-$5000 rig around the D2, and the active bi-amping concept is an attractive idea, but not a cheap one. Until now I had considered Emotiva's XPA-1L monoblocks and a pair of KEF Q900s, but that's of course a conventional setup (with the exception of connecting the DAC directly to the PowerAmp) that doesn't solve the problem of the passive crossovers in the signal path. There are of course digital crossovers and DSP, but I don't know much about the accuracy and quality of that.

Cheers!

P.S. I don't know if any of you guys are into Jazz and improvised music, and I don't know if this is the right place for this, but here are a couple of links to performances from the Moers Jazz Festival that are broadcasted live by the German/French TV channel ARTE, and their online platform for Live performances, ARTELive. Most performances are online for at least 30 days and all are in HQ video and very decent sound. There are tons of really fabulous performances and loads of Classical music, Rock, electronica, World Music, etc., check it out. (All performances are complete and most over 1 hour long). Enjoy!

BLIXT!: A Jazzrock band composed by Bill Laswell (bass); Raoul Bjorkenheim (El. Guitar) and Morgan Agren (drums):
http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/moers_festival_Blixt/
The legendary Jazz Fusion Band Oregon, featured at a Big Band Festival in Germany:
http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/Oregon_hr/
German Guitar improviser Fred Frith in duo with Percussionsist Evelyn Glennie:
http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/moers_festival_Evelyn_Glennie_Fred_Frith/
Swedish Guitarist and improviser Stian Westerhus and Norwegian vocal artist Sidsel Endresen:
http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/moers_festival_Endresen_Westerhus/

May 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,263 of 1,416
I really like the philosophy behind Anedio's products, and I would definitively consider giving an Amp of theirs a chance to complement the D2.

I thought for a while I had it made with bi-amping and the active speakers, especially when I read Emotiva's description:

"Bi-Amplified, Full-Featured Powerhouse
All of our airmotiv monitors are fully bi-amplified, with a separate amp for both the woofer and high-frequency transducer. The airmotiv 6s offer 210 watts per channel of power. Each amplifier is audiophile-grade, with toroid transformer, large electrolytic power capacitors, and stacked metalized film capacitors used throughout.
Plus, we haven't skimped on the features. Use either balanced or unbalanced inputs, tweak the response to your studio or room with active crossover controls, enjoy the convenience of 115V/230V user-switchable AC power, and relax with the confidence of full overdrive protection."

Cheers!

May 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,264 of 1,416
I have already posted this question in centrance dacmini thread, but so far no one answered... Has anyone compared these two dac/amps (Centrance DACmini and Anedio D2)? Some guys told that they compared dacmini to D1 and found dacmini better choise as an all-in-one solution - it made me interested :))

May 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,265 of 1,416
Quote:
I have already posted this question in centrance dacmini thread, but so far no one answered... Has anyone compared these two dac/amps (Centrance DACmini and Anedio D2)? Some guys told that they compared dacmini to D1 and found dacmini better choise as an all-in-one solution - it made me interested :))

Sorry, no experience with the DACmini. I know some people who really dig it, and a few others who found it just decent but not amazing. Unfortunately none of them had a D1 or D2 for comparison. 

May 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,266 of 1,416
Quote:

Sorry, no experience with the DACmini. I know some people who really dig it, and a few others who found it just decent but not amazing. Unfortunately none of them had a D1 or D2 for comparison. 

OK, thanks! Of course, I don't plan to replace D2 with dacmini at home, I'm thinking about buying it for listening at work, since I have an unused pair of LFF's Paradox :))

May 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,267 of 1,416
Quote:
Has anyone connected the D2 directly to a pair of (bi-amped) active speakers (like the Emotiva Airmotivs, Dynaudio 110A, T+A CM, etc.)?

Yes I've used my D2 connected to a pair of Focal CMS 50s. Works well. More recently I added a SVS SB12 Plus sub to my setup so now the D2 works through the sub. I also use a Bryston BHA-1 as a preamp from time to time. It makes the bass a touch richer.

Pretty nice desktop system.

May 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,268 of 1,416
OK, thanks! Of course, I don't plan to replace D2 with dacmini at home, I'm thinking about buying it for listening at work, since I have an unused pair of LFF's Paradox :))

I had the chance to audition a friend's DACmini and compare it to my Violectric V100 with 24/96 USB DAC module. The V100 is definitively a more capable Amp with more demanding cans, and it is more neutral than the DACmini, which I found a tad too warm. I also heard some noise at higher volumes and with my fiend's IEMs, but nothing significant at "normal" listening levels.

The DAC of the mini is nevertheless more advanced and I was quite pleased with soundstage and detail when I tried it with my V100 as Amp over RCAs. I found the DACmini to do I fine job with my HD-800s, HFI-2400s and K/Q701/2s, although I personally prefer my V100. The DAC mini is a very respectable Amp if you don't have overly inefficient and power hungry cans.

As a DAC/Amp combo with the versatility, build quality and performance it has to offer, it's pretty hard to beat at that price. The big minus, in my opinion, is the default 10Ohm output impedance, and that you have to pay another $100 to get it with a 1Ohm output impedance.

It might be worth waiting for CEntrance's hifi-M8, which is an even more verstaile allrounder, and that will sell for less. The analogue specs of the hifi-M8are still incomplete at CEntrance's website, and I would wait for a review before deciding on purchase. Until now Stereophile have reviewed and measured almost all CEntrance's DAC/Amps, so it's not unlikely that JA might get to measure the hifi-M8 once it's out.

May 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,269 of 1,416
Quote:

Yes I've used my D2 connected to a pair of Focal CMS 50s. Works well. More recently I added a SVS SB12 Plus sub to my setup so now the D2 works through the sub. I also use a Bryston BHA-1 as a preamp from time to time. It makes the bass a touch richer.

Pretty nice desktop system.

Thanks for your impressions. In the meantime I found the Genelec G series to be really interesting, and also the ADAM ARTist 3s and 6s to be very nicely priced.

May 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,270 of 1,416
I'm now a D2 owner. I sold my Calyx DAC because I needed a good DAC with a remote and the D2 fits the bill. It's also light enough to be used as a "meet DAC" -- that is, something I can take to a meet without adding a crapload of weight to my luggage.

So far, sound-wise, it is very spacious and light-sounding used via my Audiophilleo 1/Pure Power set-up, maybe too much so after having become used to the Master 7. 

May 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #1,271 of 1,416
Quote:
I'm now a D2 owner. I sold my Calyx DAC because I needed a good DAC with a remote and the D2 fits the bill. It's also light enough to be used as a "meet DAC" -- that is, something I can take to a meet without adding a crapload of weight to my luggage.

So far, sound-wise, it is very spacious and light-sounding used via my Audiophilleo 1/Pure Power set-up, maybe too much so after having become used to the Master 7. 

Nice! I didn't figure you as an Anedio type of guy, though I'm not really sure why... but I know you've tended to gravitate towards the Audio GD Reference/Master models and those do have a different feel to them. 

I actually have yet to try mine with my AP1/PurePower. I wonder if that's the source of your "too much of a good thing" comment? Maybe try straight USB and see how that does for you?

May 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,272 of 1,416
Quote:

Is it more spacious than Master-7?

It might be better suited for the LCD-3 than Stax then?

May 29, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,273 of 1,416
The Master 7 is different (including from the Reference 7). It manages to be both spacious, delicate and musical and impactful at the same time. The Anedio reminds me, of all things, of the O2 amp: Very detailed with an outstanding noise floor, but not engaging. You know when someone famous produces a new album and on the blurb it says it "received critical acclaim", but the album didn't do well?It is rather like that.

I've hooked it up with the Digital Interface in my living room at present, where I'll be using it with a pair of Emotivas.

May 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,274 of 1,416
Quote:
The Master 7 is different (including from the Reference 7). It manages to be both spacious, delicate and musical and impactful at the same time. The Anedio reminds me, of all things, of the O2 amp: Very detailed with an outstanding noise floor, but not engaging. You know when someone famous produces a new album and on the blurb it says it "received critical acclaim", but the album didn't do well?It is rather like that.

I've hooked it up with the Digital Interface in my living room at present, where I'll be using it with a pair of Emotivas.

Not engaging? Wow, I hear it very differently. Are you using it with your 009 rig? Maybe try the built in amp on the D2 with a dynamic headphone for a bit. I find the amp to be utterly transparent and give the true flavor of the DAC section without any addition or subtraction. I wonder if it's just a case of too much with the ultra-clean signal from the Audiophilleo, the Anedio, and then the 009 as well. I use the 007 which is less transparent but imo has a bit more "soul" to it, and it's a fantastic pairing. Then again, maybe the Anedio sound is just not for you. It happens. 

May 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,275 of 1,416
I have tried the built-in USB using the Vaunix hub (since it is, apparently, bus-powered) and the results are distinctly better than using S/PDIF with either of my converters. Very unexpected. The "thin" sound has gone. Totally the opposite of the Calyx, which also uses the XMOS chip. That sounded completely flat with the USB input. It now sounds more like the Calyx did when I used the Audiophilleo and Vaunix hub -- "lighter" than the Master 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back