Anedio D2 DAC release
Mar 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #227 of 1,416
I am having some trouble installing the D2 driver on my Asus g73sw. I have disconnected all other usb devices, and I when I get to plug in D2 and turn on, I do so but keep getting the same message over and over. I then get installation failed. Anyone else have a similar problem or if not, any advice. The driver shows up in programs and features, but not in device manager. Thanks

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #228 of 1,416
Quote:
I am having some trouble installing the D2 driver on my Asus g73sw. I have disconnected all other usb devices, and I when I get to plug in D2 and turn on, I do so but keep getting the same message over and over. I then get installation failed. Anyone else have a similar problem or if not, any advice. The driver shows up in programs and features, but not in device manager. Thanks

This might help:
- Remove the driver from "Programs & Features"
- Connect the DAC to a different USB port, and allow OS to "ask" for a driver
- Install Anedio driver

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #231 of 1,416
I also pre-ordered a D2 in February and sent an e-mail early last week inquiring as to the status of my order.  I have not received a reply to my request.  I don't want to appear pushy but would like to have some idea what is going on.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #232 of 1,416
I suspect they are swamped, but to paraphrase Sir Henry Royce, "The quality will be remembered long after the wait has been forgotten".You will be very pleased. Small companies dealing in SOTA equipment often run into delays. It happens in all fields of endeavor. Regards 

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #233 of 1,416
Quote:
I suspect they are swamped, but to paraphrase Sir Henry Royce, "The quality will be remembered long after the wait has been forgotten".You will be very pleased. Small companies dealing in SOTA equipment often run into delays. It happens in all fields of endeavor. Regards 

Lulz.

Are they going to start listing stuff like THD and noise as "Sufficiently Low" or something...

wink_face.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #235 of 1,416
Hi friends... Any news about Anedio D2's review by Project86? Too much silence lately...

I would like to know if someone have experience using Reaper with Anedio D2's ASIO drivers. Reaper is a incredible DAW for music production and its sound is also excellent as playback player. Check it for free in www.reaper.fm it has not any kind of restrictions, only one reminder of purchase when it starts for 4 seconds.

Thanks 

Edgar Puglisi

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #236 of 1,416

Quote:
Hi friends... Any news about Anedio D2's review by Project86? Too much silence lately...

I would like to know if someone have experience using Reaper with Anedio D2's ASIO drivers. Reaper is a incredible DAW for music production and its sound is also excellent as playback player. Check it for free in www.reaper.fm it has not any kind of restrictions, only one reminder of purchase when it starts for 4 seconds.

Thanks 

Edgar Puglisi

Hi Edgar,

I've mentioned before, but I won't be doing a huge write-up of the D2 like I did for the D1. I'm just too busy with other stuff (the main thing being a new baby due in less than 2 weeks). But I'll be posting impressions and comparisons with the D1 when I can.

For now I think I can confidently say the D2 is an improvement over the D1. I wish I still had the Resonessence Labs Invicta on hand for comparisons as the D2 seems like it could possibly match that unit, or at least come extremely close. 

The headphone amp is noticeably improved with tougher-to-drive headphones. I just picked up the HiFiMAN HE-400 which, though not as difficult as the HE-6, should be roughly comparable to the LCD-2 in terms of amplification demands. The D1 sounds really good with it already - I'd give it a solid B grade. It doesn't do anything wrong and is better than a lot of stand alone amps costing many hundreds of dollars. But it doesn't compare to my $1k and above amps; with some other headphones it absolutely does, but not harder to drive models. 

The D2 headphone amp blurs those differences considerably. It drives the HE-400 with authority no matter how loudly I crank the volume. It's still really clean and transparent just like the D1 was - no major changes in overall voicing. But I'm a lot less likely to miss my Violectric V200 when driving the HE-400 straight from the D2 rather than the D1. I need to spend more time with easier to drive models like the W1000x and Kenwood K1000, to see if those change at all. Same with my IEMs - so far it seems like I hear a slight improvement, but that may be the improved DAC section that I'm hearing. That's a big deal to me though since I use my D1 directly with IEMs as a reference setup. 

-

On another note - I heard back from James regarding the master clock. As Viper2001 posted a few pages back, the master clock is the same Crystek CCHD-950 as used in the D1. Apparently Crystek had a new model with supposedly lower phase noise, so James had planned on "upgrading" to that version. Waiting for those chips to arrive was a major reason why the D2 was delayed by a few extra weeks. But after spending some time comparing the two different oscillators, it turned out that the original version had better temperature stability, which a very important factor for a high quality DAC design. The D2 still has overall improved jitter performance compared to the D1, due to the power supply upgrades. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #237 of 1,416
Project86,

Yes, James has just clarified the clock issue for me.  It is indeed using the same clock as in D1.  He said the revised power supply to the clock and DAC chip has lowered the jitter further.  James has now revised his web page and it is no longer referring to a newer clock in D2.

Some observations with D2 so far:

- There are sonic differences with different software players.  For example, JRiver does sound better than Foobar2000.  Fortunately, the differences are not day and night.  So despite of having galvanic isolation on USB port, the software player still matters.

- The same goes for s/pdif coax input.  It does not sound the same as USB input, but again, the difference is small.

- The unit is somewhat sensitive to power cords.  Not as sensitive as some other DACs I've used such as Benchmark DAC1.  Somehow the stock power cord seems to sound quite well.  It sounded worse with some expensive cords.

All in all, it is one smooth sounding DAC with lots of details.  The harmonic/decay could still be richer/longer, and the transients/attacks are not quite as fast as my main 2-ch system.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #239 of 1,416
Transient response is tricky to evaluate. There are the variables of interaction among components. I have also found some equipment that was impressive on transients-at first-continued listening, however, led me to believe that the "quickness" was artificial and not what one would hear in the concert hall. Natural transients are not necessarily those that are most impressive upon first hearing. Regards

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #240 of 1,416
Quote:
Some observations with D2 so far:

- The same goes for s/pdif coax input.  It does not sound the same as USB input, but again, the difference is small.

[LeoDuran] I was told by Anedio that assuming a bit perfect transport, all inputs should yield similar performance, as isolation and jitter reduction (buffering & re-clocking) applies equally to any source. So, I'd suspect there may be some "placebo" effect in what may seem like a logical & reasonable perception: "USB better than Coax, and Coax better Optical". And, in my one week of listening so far, Coax and Optical indeed do sound the same to me (2-ch speaker system)... But to be honest, I have not tested USB yet (so I'll reserve judgment).

Quote:
- The unit is somewhat sensitive to power cords. Not as sensitive as some other DACs I've used such as Benchmark DAC1. Somehow the stock power cord seems to sound quite well. It sounded worse with some expensive cords.

[LeoDuran]: I've read similar observations on the internet, as mentioned here:
http://www.review33.com/pda/pda_msg.php?db=1&topic=36120116101008&number=4
So, I'm using the stock power cord as well.

Quote:
All in all, it is one smooth sounding DAC with lots of details. The harmonic/decay could still be richer/longer, and the transients/attacks are not quite as fast as my main 2-ch system.

[LeoDuran]: So far I find this DAC to be detailed & musical: it keeps me on the couch for extended periods, and I do enjoy "listening to the music" coming from it.

Here's my 2-ch gear:
Source 1 (Streaming from NAS): Logitech SB Touch (Optical or Coax/RCA)
Source2 (CD's): Sony XA5400ES, with TFL clock mod (Coax/RCA)
Pre: Tron Seven Ultimate Line Stage
Amp: Art Audio PX-25 (8 wpc, SET)
Speakers: Lamhorn 1.8 with AER MD3B (single, full-range) drivers
IC's & speaker cables: Auditorium 23
Power cords (except for Anedio): Volex 17504, with Audioquest IEC-3 power strip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back