Anedio D2 DAC release
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #242 of 1,416
No, it is no placebo effect.  I've tested D2 on 2 separate systems and heard a difference in sound especially over the USB with different software players.  D2 uses U2 to provide a s/pdif signal to the main board.  It is supposed to have the same buffering/re-clocking, but suffice to say, JRiver does produce a more airy and transparent sound than Foobar.  It has nothing to do with bit perfection.  It has to do with noise and jitter.

My understanding is that high freq noise riding on the digial audio signal can still be transmitted via the pulse transformer, despite having ground isolation.  James is aware of my finding, and is presently setting up his rig to listen for the differences.

I don't expect this problem to be solved.  So far no one has.  This is why when people use Pure Music, it sounds better than iTunes playback, and Amarra sounds even better than Pure Music.

So a transport with lower jitter/lower high freq noise will sound better, even the DAC has buffering/re-clocking.

The review33 thread you read was actually started by me over on this side of the pond
wink.gif

Quote:
[LeoDuran] I was told by Anedio that assuming a bit perfect transport, all inputs should yield similar performance, as isolation and jitter reduction (buffering & re-clocking) applies equally to any source. So, I'd suspect there may be some "placebo" effect in what may seem like a logical & reasonable perception: "USB better than Coax, and Coax better Optical". And, in my one week of listening so far, Coax and Optical indeed do sound the same to me (2-ch speaker system)... But to be honest, I have not tested USB yet (so I'll reserve judgment).

[LeoDuran]: I've read similar observations on the internet, as mentioned here:
http://www.review33.com/pda/pda_msg.php?db=1&topic=36120116101008&number=4
So, I'm using the stock power cord as well.

[LeoDuran]: So far I find this DAC to be detailed & musical: it keeps me on the couch for extended periods, and I do enjoy "listening to the music" coming from it.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #243 of 1,416
Yes, I agree that this is tricky to evaluate.  You need to have reference quality recordings and compare to what you heard in concert halls, etc.

I've both the LCD2 and HD800 headphones.  LCD2 does have better transient than HD800.  And my main rig has better transient than D2+LCD2.  And so is what I've heard with Alpha2/Magico Q5/Spectral combo.

My rig or Alpha2/Magico/Spectral could be wrong.  But they are surely more impressive to listen to.  So it maybe a matter of preference.

Quote:
Transient response is tricky to evaluate. There are the variables of interaction among components. I have also found some equipment that was impressive on transients-at first-continued listening, however, led me to believe that the "quickness" was artificial and not what one would hear in the concert hall. Natural transients are not necessarily those that are most impressive upon first hearing. Regards

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #244 of 1,416
are there any reviews on Anedio U2 ?
i'm mostly interested in comparisons with Audiophilleo 2

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #245 of 1,416
I cannot compare the U2 to the Audiophilleo, but I have the U2 with my violectric v800, and I think it made things a tad clearer. I did not do extensive A/B. I try to merely get good equipment (at least good to my standards, which varies by individual) in all parts of the audio chain, and then sit back and enjoy. If I hear hiss or hum or anything like that, then I try to fix, but that is totally not the case with my current desktop rig. I have excellent sound coming from my violectrics and U2, and I use JRiver MC. I am truly enjoying my music with all three of my headphones (AT ES9WA, L3000, and HE-500).

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #246 of 1,416
A bit off topic but what is the best media player for Mac? I'm currently using iTunes and while I like the interface it's not exactly full of options.

Started using J River on my PCs lately.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #247 of 1,416

Quote:
A bit off topic but what is the best media player for Mac? I'm currently using iTunes and while I like the interface it's not exactly full of options.

For sound quality, Amarra is still my favorite on the Mac. I've tried a number of others, and I keep coming back to Amarra.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #250 of 1,416

If you still like to use iTune interface, you can try BitPerfect. It is an add on to iTune from the Mac app store. I am getting a good result from it. :D

Cheers,
KK

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #253 of 1,416
Pure Music is much less $ than Amarra, especially when you factor in the 3-machine license. But of course Bit Perfect is much cheaper again, and all sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back