Anedio D2 DAC release
Mar 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #196 of 1,416
I am interested in to know the Anedio D2's performance stability using its ASIO drivers, also if someone could put some images with ASIO software setting, and specifications of the audio application and system.

I am an audio engineer. I want to add a new quality audio interface to my humble mastering rig, because I want using it to pitching-catching + monitoring, in other words for play audio from one computer, pass the balanced analog signal into the hardware mastering proccessors EQ, compressor, limiter... and then Record it again using my Prism Sound Orpheus interface and monitoring with Anedio D2.

I hope that the Anedio D2's quality of audio is a step ahead of the Orpheus balanced output because I want to improve my playback and monitor system using two Anedio D2 units.

Here is my future signal flow's schematics:

Pitching:
  1. PC computer #1 (Reaper 3.x + Anedio ASIO driver) [size=small]→ Anedio D2 (XLR Outputs) [/size][size=small]→ Cable Belden 1800F+Neutrik NC3 XX-B [/size][size=small]→ (EQ Gyraf G14 + Compressor/Limiter Maselec ML2, Foote Control Sytem P3S ME, Pendulum PL-2 [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Catching:[/size]
  1. [size=small]Input L-R Prism Sound Orpheus (TRS In 1-2) [/size][size=small]→ Firewire port PC computer #2 [/size][size=small]→ [/size]PC computer #2 (Samplitude 11 + Orpheus ASIO driver) [size=small]→ Editing + mastering Plug-ins FX and audio Render [/size][size=small]→  [/size]
[size=small]Monitoring:[/size]
  1. [size=small]Orpheus SPDIF out [/size][size=small]→ ANEDIO D2 Spdif In [/size][size=small]→  Anedio XLR out using as preamp (setting volume with your remote) [/size][size=small]→ Emotiva XPA-2 amp XLR inputs) [/size][size=small]→ Speaker Out → Axiom Audio M[/size]60v2 speaker

I love the idea of using the remote control to adjust the audio level because so I can put the Anedio D2 close the amplifier using a short XLR cable, furthermore is possible to recall the same level with 0.5dB precision display.

I would like bypass the Orpheus Analog output when I send the audio to mastering processors as well as I send the final signal to the amplifier, because I feel that there is room for improvement.

Thanks to all of you, specially to Project86, Vipper2001, and Daredevil  for the first Anedio D2 mini reviews.

I too will be waiting the complete analysis, comparison and review by Project86

Best regards

Edgar Puglisi

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #198 of 1,416

Quote:
opa1632s are used for I/V conversion.

U2 board is USB bus powered.

An astute designer told me that the ESS9018's output is very noisy.  One can only make it sound good with op-amps.  It won't sound too well with simple class A discrete circuits.  I think in order for a discrete class A to work, it'll need very high supply and noise rejection.  So now we're into the territory of Weiss Medea+ with OP1 discrete op-amp modules.  In order to do that, you'll need a lot of space on the board, and much better power supply rails for the op-amps.

Clearly, Anedio is not in a position to come up with such expensive design yet.

Thank you for the illuminating response, Viper 2001. The only Sabre DAC I have heard that employs a similar I/V scheme is a DIY Twisted Pear Buffalo II with an IVY output stage (IIRC the only difference is that particular Buffalo II didn't have op-amps as output buffers compared to the D2) which I'm not a fan of to be honest with. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #199 of 1,416
Dissecting the internals of D2 (cont'd)

Finally lifted the top of the EMI/RFI shield for the ESS9018 DAC chip and clock.  It is still using a Crystek CCHD-950 crystal oscillator (XO).  The ppm on the XO is 25ppm.  I believe the clock freq here is 80MHz, which is exactly the same used in D1.  So I'm not sure why Anedio claims a lower jitter clock in D2.  Maybe D1 had 50ppm CCHD-950 instead?  But ppm is only meaningful for long term accuracy, not short term accuracy, like jitter.

In comparison, Resonessence Labs Invicta is using CCHD-950 50MHz.  The phase noise for the CCHD-950 50MHz is actually lower than the 80MHz one.  But I read in DIY Audio that the ESS9018 does sound better with a higher freq engine clock.  I suspect this is the reason why James decided to use 80MHz, instead of 50 or 54MHz in other ESS9018 designs I've seen.

What amazes me is that, if you compared the specs, just about every measurable parameter of the D2 is better than the Invicta!

Edit:
In addition, by looking at the circuit trace, the 9018 is configured in quad differential current mode, the max. dynamic range one can get from the chip
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #200 of 1,416
As I understand it, the ES9018 requires an 80Mhz clock (which is very unusual) so I'm not sure how any other frequency could be used. Mind you, since designers have to sign an NDA to get the datasheet for the chip, I'm not confident of us being enlightened much about this.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #201 of 1,416
Quote:
As I understand it, the ES9018 requires an 80Mhz clock (which is very unusual) so I'm not sure how any other frequency could be used. Mind you, since designers have to sign an NDA to get the datasheet for the chip, I'm not confident of us being enlightened much about this.

No, the ESS9018 does not mandate the use of 80MHz clock.  The max. freq must be < 100MHz and depending on how you feed the data to the chip, it is simply a integer factor * sampling freq.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #203 of 1,416
After I sold my Yulong D100 for a D18 then had to sent that back due to a universal problem with the EU model buzzing with the slightly higher voltage in parts of the UK, I've been looking at what to get instead. I can't seem to find anything I like at a similar price point and keep coming back to the Anedio, even though I really shouldn't because it's twice the price of what I just had.. but... it seems reassuringly woo-free - high quality bits and bobs that measure very well and have been reviewed very favourably and sold direct - something I could get and say 'okay, done'. I hate Head-Fi!

Also looking forward to reading Slackman's review when he gets it, because he's more a speaker guy like me and I think we heard the D18 quite similarly. I confess to liking the idea that rather than getting a £500 DAC, then a £750, then a £1k one, I should just get this for around £1k and be done with DACs (not to mention it has a headphone amp that will be perfectly good for custom IEMs and the pre-amp volume control would be 'one less cable' as I currently use a TC Level Pilot between the DAC and monitors). I just bought a 64GB 3rd gen iPad though so the thought of spending another wad of cash is kind of off-putting... maybe next payday...

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #204 of 1,416

Quote:
After I sold my Yulong D100 for a D18 then had to sent that back due to a universal problem with the EU model buzzing with the slightly higher voltage in parts of the UK, I've been looking at what to get instead. I can't seem to find anything I like at a similar price point and keep coming back to the Anedio, even though I really shouldn't because it's twice the price of what I just had.. but... it seems reassuringly woo-free - high quality bits and bobs that measure very well and have been reviewed very favourably and sold direct - something I could get and say 'okay, done'. I hate Head-Fi!

Also looking forward to reading Slackman's review when he gets it, because he's more a speaker guy like me and I think we heard the D18 quite similarly. I confess to liking the idea that rather than getting a £500 DAC, then a £750, then a £1k one, I should just get this for around £1k and be done with DACs (not to mention it has a headphone amp that will be perfectly good for custom IEMs and the pre-amp volume control would be 'one less cable' as I currently use a TC Level Pilot between the DAC and monitors). I just bought a 64GB 3rd gen iPad though so the thought of spending another wad of cash is kind of off-putting... maybe next payday...

Wow big spender! I'm sitting here with a 6 month old iPad 2 feeling like a sucker because it is already "obsolete". Not really, but that's instantly the feeling you get (and Apple certainly encourages that feeling). Not that I really have any need for more resolution or a faster CPU. The dictation feature is the only thing that interests me. Maybe I can finish my reviews quicker!

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #205 of 1,416

Quote:
Wow big spender! I'm sitting here with a 6 month old iPad 2 feeling like a sucker because it is already "obsolete". Not really, but that's instantly the feeling you get (and Apple certainly encourages that feeling). Not that I really have any need for more resolution or a faster CPU. The dictation feature is the only thing that interests me. Maybe I can finish my reviews quicker!

"Siri, please tell me, what's better : asynchronous or adaptive USB ?"

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #206 of 1,416
Ha. I got the 64GB purely because I have a feeling with the res increase, everything will be bigger and I'll run out of space that much quicker. Yes it's quite a bit more than the 16GB one, but it's better to have too much memory than too little. I desperately needed something to take to work on night shifts as well because it can get very boring, there's nothing on TV at 4am and given you can do things on the iPad like run sheet music I could bring a travel guitar in and learn some songs, a stylus and do some drawing and painting and so on, not just play games. It'll be a good investment.

Also on the list for 2012
Linkwitz Plutos (still have about 2/3rds to pay for)
Custom IEMs
iBasso DX100
A/V Receiver
5.2 speakers
New wallpaper for bedroom
Tearing down cupboard so I can fit a bigger desk for my speakers/gear
DIY broadband absorbers

.... I need to double my wages...

If only I hadn't found Head-Fi when looking for something to replace the buds I got with my Rio Karma all those years ago... although to be fair, if as a noob I bought a Rio Karma I think I was destined to get caught up in this audio biz'niss.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #207 of 1,416
Quote:
I am interested in to know the Anedio D2's performance stability using its ASIO drivers, also if someone could put some images with ASIO software setting, and specifications of the audio application and system.

D2's USB driver seems to have trouble working with cPlay, which uses ASIO for communicating with the DAC.  JRiver seems to work fine with D2 if you configure it for ASIO driver.  If I init the ASIO driver using JRiver, then cPlay seems to work.

So whether D2 will work with another software's ASIO setup is unclear at this point.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #208 of 1,416
As far I can tell using my external U2 with the included driver, which I assume is the same one shipped with D2 works flawlessly with foobar + WASAPI 
wink.gif

But I never got round playing with ASIO. So I can't comment on that.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #209 of 1,416

Quote:
Anyway, I want to hear comparisons to the W4S DAC 2. In this price bracket they're the one to beat on my list. 

+1

My DAC decision came down to the D1 or W4S DAC-2 but at the time the D1 was no longer in production so the DAC-2 won.  Now I feel a bit like Project86 with his iPad2 :wink:

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #210 of 1,416
The DAC 2 was an easy win for me over the D1...but this new beast...We'll see. I've still got a bit of time before I have to decide.

Quote:
+1

My DAC decision came down to the D1 or W4S DAC-2 but at the time the D1 was no longer in production so the DAC-2 won.  Now I feel a bit like Project86 with his iPad2 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back