Anedio D2 DAC release
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,081 of 1,416
Normal gain is quite enough. I am mostly at 50 with LCD-2 and HD800. It varies from track to track of course but since i don't use replay gain or anything else in the chain 50 is my most used setting.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,082 of 1,416
Having followed the D1 and this thread I've got a pretty good idea of what it sounds like - very curious to find out what this sounds like.

Also, those who've owned the D2 can you comment on where you are in the concert hall?  Right upfront, a few rows back or?

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #1,084 of 1,416
Quote:

Well this is a pretty hard question to answer. Upfront or a few rows back depends on lots of thing like how the combination of mid and high frequencies are presented, how well the song you listening to are mixed and etc.

D2 is just a extremely neutral sounding DAC to me. Everything sounds very natural and uncolored. so I suppose whatever the songs can deliver, it should deliver properly. So in general I will say the instruments are place upfront but with a very good depth.

I don't own D1, but I do know that D1 is brighter than my Dx100, but my D2 isn't, the high is smoother and more detailed. So you should probably get a idea.

I think probably only project86 can answer this question right.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,085 of 1,416
I hear the D2 as sounding very similar to the D1, with a slight increase in spacial information retrieval, and detail all around. To my ears imaging and soundstage is roughly the same in terms of location, but more accurate and spacious at times. Assuming it is in the recording of course. Note that your choice of headphones really plays a larger part in this aspect.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,086 of 1,416
Sorry if this has been asked before. Would the following headphones " shine" with my D2 ?

- Beyerdynamics T1
- Sennheiser HD800

I have heard the T1s and they sounded great on an AudioLab MDAC + CD player. 

My first priority is comfort followed by sound quality. I have read that the HD800 are weak in bass and have a peak at 6K that makes highs harsh. I have not heard the HD800, but the T1s sounded balanced and fairly neutral, maybe could have used a bit more "bass impact"  and comfort wise was very good, but clamping force a bit too much as it was sometimes uncomfortable on my my jaw bone.

I would be very interested in anyone's opinion as a D2 owner with these two cans.

Cheers
Riker

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,088 of 1,416
Quote:
I have a T1 on the way, due next week. I'll try it with my D2 and let you know. I feel that D2 pushing HD800 is a fantastic combo, and as good as many other stand alone amps.

Glad to see you jumped on the T1 bandwagon :) I have always valued your reviews and looking forward to more with the T1 included. I'll be watching the T1 thread for your arrival!

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,090 of 1,416
I have a T1 on the way, due next week. I'll try it with my D2 and let you know. I feel that D2 pushing HD800 is a fantastic combo, and as good as many other stand alone amps.

I am VERY anxious to hear your impressions of the T1 vs the HD800!

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,091 of 1,416
We'll see. If you guys don't hear me say much about the T1, you'll know I don't much care for it. But no matter what I'll be sure to drive it with the D2 and see how it does.

Btw there's someone around here with an Anedio D1 who added a Liquid Fire to the mix and after a lot of back and forth, is selling the LF. He just likes the D1 amp section better. I haven't heard the LF myself but based on my comparison with my old Luxman P-1u, I can see how the Anedio amp can compete with expensive stand-alone units. It's really good. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,092 of 1,416
Quote:
We'll see. If you guys don't hear me say much about the T1, you'll know I don't much care for it. But no matter what I'll be sure to drive it with the D2 and see how it does.

Btw there's someone around here with an Anedio D1 who added a Liquid Fire to the mix and after a lot of back and forth, is selling the LF. He just likes the D1 amp section better. I haven't heard the LF myself but based on my comparison with my old Luxman P-1u, I can see how the Anedio amp can compete with expensive stand-alone units. It's really good. 

HD800 is in great synergy with that anedio man.. it's a match made in heaven for budgeteers :p

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,094 of 1,416
Quote:

And how does it compare with the DP1/HD800 combo? :wink:

-Daniel

Honestly though, I don't have the stock cable anymore to compare. The stock cable of the 800s are terrible too bright and has quite the sibilance. With my gold / silver cable I do notice that the highs are tamed, added much more depth to the music, and a little more detail retrieval(or rather made the those small details a little more easy to pick out rather than having to actually try to hear it) and made music much more easy to listen to without having to take off my 800s every like 10 minutes to take a break. The DP1 was a little dark for me, and was a little too laid back. The filter button added that bass bump but made the highs and overall performance a little less enjoyable. If you do get a chance, try out one of the gold / silver cables it really makes a night and day difference as I mentioned earlier in our pms.

But in actuality, it all comes down to personal preference because me, I love that bright sound and others well just prefer soothing music. So I guess that's also what made me rate the akg 701s more enjoyable over the audezes (if driven right) the 701s sound amazing almost as enjoyable as my 800s despite the fact that the vocals are pretty artificial.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,095 of 1,416
Anyone have word when the next batch of D2's might be shipping? I emailed them a week ago to see if it would be possible to pre-purchase or if they had any idea how long their backlog is, but haven't received a response. I'm envious of anyone whose business is good enough that they don't feel the need to respond to customers, but as the customer I have to say it's a little annoying that they can't be bothered take a minute or 2 to compose an email and/or take my money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back