Anedio D2 DAC release
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #77 of 1,417

Quote:
W-e-e-ll, I've decided to move in another direction for now. That said I'll be keeping close tabs on the D2, especially with project86 and ASR in the mix, as I usually seem to come to similar conclusions. Looking at the list of changes, I'm predicting a noticeable improvement to the D1.  ymmv

Just out of curiosity, which direction are you moving to?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #83 of 1,417
I have a somewhat bizarre question. Why is it that DAC manufacturers who choose to implement very well thought-out headphone sections (and the Anedio D2 obviously qualifies in that they lowered the output impedance and beefed up the power) don't allow for inputs for analogue sources or a digital bypass so that the headphone amp section can be used for analogue inputs and the like? It seems shortsighted to me, in that the typical user still needs a dedicated head amp if they have a tuner, a turntable, tape, or even a digital source without a digital out. Am I missing something?

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #84 of 1,417
I think that they design them primary as a DAC and the headphone amp is just a feature. Moreover, most sources have a digital out ( optical/RCA), hence they expect you to use their DAC instead of the onboard DAC. If not, they expect that you will be getting a headphone amp instead. Cheers, KK

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #85 of 1,417

Quote:
I think that they design them primary as a DAC and the headphone amp is just a feature. Moreover, most sources have a digital out ( optical/RCA), hence they expect you to use their DAC instead of the onboard DAC. If not, they expect that you will be getting a headphone amp instead. Cheers, KK

That's how I see it as well. 

I do think it would be convenient in certain situations.... but they can't try to be all things to all people - a line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's just where they chose to stop. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #86 of 1,417
I think the decision not to implement analog inputs has to do with how their volume control works, as I understand, it's a digital volume control integrated in the DAC chip plus some voltage dividers. So adding a preamp function or analog inputs would necessitate a total rework of the volume control, hence, no such function.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing the back panel of the D2.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #87 of 1,417
Any guess on how well the D2 will drive LCD-3, since we are on the headphone amp talk? 
gs1000.gif

Cheers,
KK

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #88 of 1,417

Quote:
I think the decision not to implement analog inputs has to do with how their volume control works, as I understand, it's a digital volume control integrated in the DAC chip plus some voltage dividers. So adding a preamp function or analog inputs would necessitate a total rework of the volume control, hence, no such function.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing the back panel of the D2.

Of course! I hand't even thought of that. Good catch - it makes total sense.

The closest we've had to a back panel view is the pic of the XLR and RCA outs on this page. Not much to go by. 

Quote:
Any guess on how well the D2 will drive LCD-3, since we are on the headphone amp talk? 
gs1000.gif

Cheers,
KK

No idea, sorry.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #89 of 1,417
Quote:
gs1000.gif

Going by the specs it should at least give you plenty of volume and stay clean doing it.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #90 of 1,417
Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any stock cables included with the DAC? ie power cord and USB cable. If not a cheap and short USB type A to B will do right? 
confused.gif
 1st time into computer audio. 
L3000.gif

K.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back