Anedio D2 DAC release
Aug 28, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 1,416

Quote:
"Not content to use a single DA converter, the Calyx uses 8 Sabre 32bit converters! "

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=joomlaplates.tpl&product_id=795&category_id=5&manufacturer_id=104&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

It uses a single ESS9018 chip which incorporates 8 separate DACs which can be used in 8 channel, stereo or mono modes.

Yes I think it is confusing too.

I want to know how many DAC chips not how many channels.

Regards

Macrog

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 1,416
In stereo mode the ESS9018 parallels 4 dacs per channel for full differential balanced output with higer Signal to noise ratio and dynamic range.

Regards

Macrog

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 1,416

Quote:
In stereo mode the ESS9018 parallels 4 dacs per channel for full differential balanced output with higer Signal to noise ratio and dynamic range.

Regards

Macrog

So why not provide balanced out from the start?

Seems to me that Anedio as well as EE could have provided balanced out at a min cost at the very beginning.  Its not really an upgrade, its just using the chip in its normal designed configuration.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 1,416
Actually the D1 has a low quality headphone amplifier, if they throw in a discrete amplifier with over 500mW into high impedance headphones, that WOULD be great news.
The lack of balanced outs was puzzling in the first version ... cost cutting done bad. Also, async/adaptive 24/192 USB in 2011 is not optional, it's mandatory.

Out of curiosity, is that opinion based on speculation or experience? Outside of ortho's, what headphones would possible require 500mW? I find the D1's HPA to be quite good, but I have minimal experience with HPA's. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 1,416
Speculation or some form of biased opinion I'd say. Every impression of it on the big D1 thread has been very positive. A lot of people feel it drives the higher impedance cans well enough, if not quite to their potential. It seems to work extremely well for low impedance cans the most though.

-Daniel

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #22 of 1,416
That does not prove much for me, only that most people did not have a lot of experience with equipment being on a similar level this forum would need more reviewers like Asr who buys tons of equipment, compares them, sells some of them and posts a good review about them. But it is not likely to happen since that costs a lot of time and money.
At some point the hype might end and people might start to sell them off (two so far on here and one on audiogon) when they get to know something better or just simply more in line with their personal taste.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 1,416
it's just strange that someone say it has excellent headphone out, and others say it's cheap and poor.
there is a huge difference between poor and excellent.
why is everything sooo complicated here ?
blink.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 1,416
The D1 amp section does well with my 650's, 325is and my turbines.  The only place it lacks is with the LCD-2's imo.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #25 of 1,416

Quote:
it's just strange that someone say it has excellent headphone out, and others say it's cheap and poor.
there is a huge difference between poor and excellent.
why is everything sooo complicated here ?
blink.gif

Because this is a message board forum and some people will disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.  Some people who have never owned a product or even heard a product will comment on it and lie. Then their are those who are only out for an argument and will do anything it takes to provoke a debate.  Welcome to Headfi!

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 1,416
I have to confess that sounded very disillusioning for me but honestly interpreted.
The easiest way would be to organize Can-Jams all over the world more frequently.
Or the other way would be to organize one huge Can-Jam somewhere,
and every vintage and non-vintage amp & headphone would be involved on the meeting.
This year I vote for Hungary.
I will bring my Grado PS1000 with my M1HPA to the show. Tick Tick
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 1,416

Quote:
At some point the hype might end and people might start to sell them off (two so far on here and one on audiogon) when they get to know something better or just simply more in line with their personal taste.

I believe you're talking about just one unit.  The orignal seller posted both here and Audiogon after he owned it for about 6 mos, selling it off with the rest of his speaker system.  I purchased it and after about 10 hours decided it wasn't for me and posted another FS - but to be clear, I'm pretty much a lover of tube amps/NOS DACs and picked it up mostly out of curiosity because it was a good deal and the glowing remarks in the Anedio thread.

FWIW, I thought the head amp was stellar and I'm currently rocking a maxxed Woo Audio 6 SE.  I also owned a Minimax.  Just don't like the Saber sound.  Right now I have a Metrum Octave en route.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 1,416
Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe if it is really going to be offered in Europe with a 30-day return I will give it a try and line it up against the Lavry.
A review where there the tester has nothing but good things to say and no weaknesses (or 'very minor') are just not convincing at all to me so any kind reviews where the flaws are just as exposed the strengths are much more interesting to me but those the kind of reviews that are not so common here, especially with brand new products.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #29 of 1,416
Interesting. I have absolutely no interest in the headphone amp section, but if they can improve on the overall sound of the original and provide a true balanced output, I just may have to check it out. A case that looks like a high-end component would also be on my request list - I think the current one looks like a $150 DAC from China.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #30 of 1,416

Quote:

I believe you're talking about just one unit.  The orignal seller posted both here and Audiogon after he owned it for about 6 mos, selling it off with the rest of his speaker system.  I purchased it and after about 10 hours decided it wasn't for me and posted another FS - but to be clear, I'm pretty much a lover of tube amps/NOS DACs and picked it up mostly out of curiosity because it was a good deal and the glowing remarks in the Anedio thread.

FWIW, I thought the head amp was stellar and I'm currently rocking a maxxed Woo Audio 6 SE.  I also owned a Minimax.  Just don't like the Saber sound.  Right now I have a Metrum Octave en route.

Do you like the Metrum Octave better than Anedio ?
What are the main differences in sound ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back