Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,321 of 9,526
Quote:
News on Pico DAC & Pico DAC/Amp compatibility with Samsung Galaxy Note II and Galaxy S3 (International version)
=======================================================================================

It's been reported that the Pico DAC/Amp doesn't work with the Galaxy Note II or Galaxy S3 (international version) -- except with a powered hub -- but does work just fine with the north american Galaxy S3. 

I've acquired a Galaxy Note II to figure out the problem.

Progress has been made and it is working right now.  However, it's likely that a fix will require:
- A small component swap on the Pico circuit board which does not change performance
or possibly
- A custom-made USB cable

I prefer the first solution.  Once a solution is finalized, you may send your Pico to me to have the change made, free of charge, just pay the shipping costs.  New orders will ship with the change already in place .

Those who are 'in charge' of the compatibility lists of phones/DACs feel free to update the info.

Kudos to HeadAmp !

Unlike a lot of USB DAC manufacturers, HeadAmp has tested and fixed the Galaxy S3/Note2 - HeadAmp Pico interworking issue.

HeadAmp Pico is one of the most interesting USB DAC/amp:
"At present have the HeadAmp Pico, RSA Intruder, and Leckteron UHA-6S.MKII. Was using the Pico with my US S3 and just love its sound, the other two are truly excellent in their own right, but their sound signatures just don't gel for me quite as much as the Pico." 
[NZtechfreak]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/270#post_9036297

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,322 of 9,526
Just fantastic news, can't wait to get mine adjusted!

Justin has been emailing me quite a bit as he's worked through the troubleshooting, so I've had a little inside window into the process, which has been very interesting.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to see whether the Pico remains my favourite after testing my Apex Glacier :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,323 of 9,526
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,324 of 9,526
Quote:

Yes!

As far as I understand the developer of the USB Audio Recorder PRO app opted for the USB "soft driver" solution.

Moreover, he proposes to provide a USB Audio Android Service at the user space so that legacy music players like Neutron MP could use this USB audio service instead of the USB audio driver at the kernel.
http://www.vogella.com/articles/AndroidServices/article.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1260#post_9015714

That would be absolutely EXCELLENT!!! Thank you for the reply, DanBa!!

A couple of thoughts: 

1). I know we might have Davy working on it as we speak, but I'm curious about whether anyone else would be interested in contributing to an incentive pot-- and if so, what the best way to set one up would be!

2). I can confirm that neither the iBasso D6 nor the Nuforce uDac-2 work with the GS3 with stock software (rooted Jelly Bean on Verizon). They both output no sound and the music player on the phone appears to play but does so much faster than normal. 

3). Although it has already been mentioned, I can confirm that the NwAvGuy ODAC does work with the GS3 with stock software (rooted Jelly Bean on Verizon).

4). Anybody know if there is any actual fix for the the whole sped-up playback issue listed in #2 above? Because I would REALLY like to be able to use my D6 as an all-in-one DAC/amp for my portable rig... I'm guessing the answer is 'no,' but it's worth a shot!!!

Also, kudos to Davy and Dmitry for being so positive and responsive to customer requests!!! :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,325 of 9,526
Quote:
Hi guys, a quick question. I have a Note 2 and I was looking at the e07k but since it is not confirmed yet I have started to explore other options like the D zero. My question is since the D Zero has no bass or treble boost can I utilize the players EQ (Neutron, Playerpro, etc.) if necessary while using the dac on the D zero? Or does the audio out of the USB to the dac negate the internal EQ? Thanks!

You can use internal EQ's.
Currently using the D-Zero with spotify's EQ, no problem

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,327 of 9,526
I have a Fiio E17 headamp and unfortunately it doesn't work with my Asus Transformer Infinity and Samsung Galaxy S3 (both running on Jelly Bean).
Can anyone confirm if the above devices works with the AudioQuest Dragonfly?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,328 of 9,526
what battery life are people seeing with the dragonfly? If it's being powered off the device, I'm guessing it's sucking down your juice like no tomorrow.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,329 of 9,526
Quote:
The following setup does not work:

Meizu MX > Micro B to Mini B USB cable > MATRIX USB to SPDIF converter > SPDIF coax cable > FiiO E17 via FiiO's included coax adapter > Philips Uptown

There are a number of possible reasons this is not working. First, the MX does not provide power through its USB port, which the MATRIX converter requires. However, the converter's indicator light is blue; I'm not sure if this means it's just on, or it's on and working. The micro B to mini B cable may not be working, but I'm no electrical engineer and couldn't say why. The E17 might not be working, although other reviews have shown it to handle SPDIF input (both coax and optical) just fine.

Unfortunately, there is not a useful way to test this since I don't think the bits will be sent through a powered USB hub to the MATRIX converter. This means the only thing realistically I can change to test is the cable connecting the MX and the MATRIX. I haven't found another provider of a micro B to mini B cable...

It could be your android version! I see meizu uses android 2.x.
There were kernel updates about usb_audio in Jelly Bean (4.x).

-Who tried this on JB?

I mean:
Android phone ---> small usb to spdif converter ----> SPDIF coax cable ---> into Fiio E17 spdif in  ----> headphones

note that fiio e17 is a dac and amp, not only amp.
All of this because I heard that fiio e17 draws more than 150ma from usb, so a lot of phones don't allow it to be recognized without using a powered usb hub.

----> do usb to spdif works with latest android updates or cyanogen?

BTW this works great on ipads (IIRC apple's usb is limited to under 100ma so it doesn't allow the e17 via usb/cck without a powered hub.)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/3585#post_8420366

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,330 of 9,526
Quote:
A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III:

stock Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. iBasso D10 (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=39
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628374/samsung-galaxy-s3-to-dac-usb-micro-b-male-to-mini-b-male#post_8735134

FYI the iBasso D10 does not work with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(which is odd since it is also running 4.2 Jellybean). It does work with Audio Recorder Pro but with lots of crackling. Supposedly the Android OS does not support Isochronous transfers/endpoints(which most DACs seem to use), though many of the players seem to work anyway(proprietary Samsung code, maybe?). I'm thinking I should just sell it and get an Amp/DAC combo that works properly with stock Android like the Apex Glacier or Headamp Pico...sigh.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,331 of 9,526
Quote:
Hi guys, a quick question. I have a Note 2 and I was looking at the e07k but since it is not confirmed yet I have started to explore other options like the D zero. My question is since the D Zero has no bass or treble boost can I utilize the players EQ (Neutron, Playerpro, etc.) if necessary while using the dac on the D zero? Or does the audio out of the USB to the dac negate the internal EQ? Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to confirm earlier.  Already tested this with my Note 2 with my cousin's recently bought Fiio e07k.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,332 of 9,526
Quote:

FYI the iBasso D10 does not work with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(which is odd since it is also running 4.2 Jellybean). It does work with Audio Recorder Pro but with lots of crackling. 

As far as I know the Samsung Galaxy Nexus without using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app doesn’t work with any USB DAC.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,333 of 9,526
"Android USB OTG cable" from iBasso: Micro-A plug to Mini-B plug
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571116/review-ibasso-d-zero-with-fiio-e7-comparison/30#post_9043607
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=1768224

"D-Zero USB OTG hooked up to Galaxy S3. Works like a charm…
This is nice... I just received an iBasso D-Zero bought directly from the manufacturer. I had no idea that a short USB OTG cable is included in the box now.
The cable is marked iBasso Audio - Android 4.0 & Above USB OTG Cable.

Kudos to iBasso for keeping ahead of the game!"

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,334 of 9,526
Quote:

As far as I know the Samsung Galaxy Nexus without using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app doesn’t work with any USB DAC.

I think there are some custom kernels that work as well - e.g. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14685-kernel27-jul-glados-v20-for-jb/#entry367718 (although based on the thread, this may or may not work with 4.2).

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,335 of 9,526
Quote:
Posted by StoneCold Radge:
Can anyone one confirm if the Audinst hud-mx1 dac/amp works with the Galaxy S3? Can't seem to find anyone info on this pairing anywhere. Much appreciated.

Hi,
I emailed Audinst via eBay re using the HUD-MX1 with my Samsung 10.1 Note and received this reply:

' [size=10pt]Hello.

We confirmed that the HUD-mx1 didn't work on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Jelly bean.
Even if we use the USB HUB with power supply and OTG cable, didn't work properly.
Therefore, we suspect that it may not work the tablet with Android operating sytem of the lastest. '
[/size]

I quite liked the look of their MX1 but it seems it does not work - unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back