Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 6, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #8,296 of 9,526
It works great with software based USB to DAC music players: both USB Audio Pro and the Hiby. I was impressed with USB Audio pro! However, my do pretty much all my listening through Spotify. I was able to tinker in "developer options" and turn on USB Audio. When I did this Spotify did work through the E18 but there was zero difference in sound quality (that's with downloaded offline extreme quality files) it was also quieter. Just to check my ears I A/B USB Audio Pro through the DAC and through the phones headphone out and the difference was night and day.

Is there a way to route Spotify playback through a software player to USB DAC? If not I'm probably going to return it. It's a shame since there is a definite boost in sound quality.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #8,297 of 9,526
It works great with software based USB to DAC music players: both USB Audio Pro and the Hiby. I was impressed with USB Audio pro! However, my do pretty much all my listening through Spotify. I was able to tinker in "developer options" and turn on USB Audio. When I did this Spotify did work through the E18 but there was zero difference in sound quality (that's with downloaded offline extreme quality files) it was also quieter. Just to check my ears I A/B USB Audio Pro through the DAC and through the phones headphone out and the difference was night and day.

Is there a way to route Spotify playback through a software player to USB DAC? If not I'm probably going to return it. It's a shame since there is a definite boost in sound quality.

It works for me with every player, special driver or what my phones provide. I use a US version of the Galaxy Note 3. I routinely listen to streaming via the standard Google Player app. I also use an old Galaxy S3 as a DAP, works just as good. I stopped using Spotify long ago, it worked on that in the past.
No rooting or any fast tricks, right out of the box. I use it with:
Google Music Player
Neutron MP
USBAPP
Onkyo HF Player
PowerAmp
Media Monkey
BubbeUPnP
YouTube

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #8,299 of 9,526
Hi all
Has anybody managed to get an odac working with the galaxy s7?
I have tried it with uapp and a powered hub but still no response from the odac!
It works fine with a cheapo usb sound card; setup in exactly the same format as the odac.
The odac works fine on the pc, so I cant figure out why they won't get along.
open to suggestions.
Frustrated.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #8,300 of 9,526
I think it has something to do with Marshmallow. I tried the FiiO E18 it on an old S4 I had laying around and it works.

Works fine on my V10 with Android 6.0 though I only tried streaming from Amazon and Play music, don't use any other subscription streaming services.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #8,301 of 9,526
  I think it has something to do with Marshmallow. I tried the FiiO E18 it on an old S4 I had laying around and it works.

I am using Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 & Oneplus one, i have no issue on connectivity with CHord Mojo from lats 2 months :)

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #8,302 of 9,526
USB Host Check does indeed indicate that USB Host is not enabled on my device, which is not rooted.

I don't quite understand this as when I use UAPP there are no issues using any USB device. Does UAPP and other players somehow render USB Host enabling unessecary?

On top of all that, suddenly and most bizarrely, I can now get my Tidal offline feed to Dragonfly Red. I didn't change any settings although I did check a few in developers mode. Another peculiar thing, my Dragonfly Red's sampling indicator indicates that the feed from Tidal is 24/96 which of course it isn't. Is this Android up-sampling? My Moto is on Marshmallow. This might explain why the sound quality,while somewhat better than direct from the phone's output, it is not as good as I am used to hearing from the Red.

UAPP works because it uses its own usb driver. Tidal uses the system one which has to be enabled first.

How do I do that.

Like I said I am now getting Tidal in offline mode to the Dragonfly Red despite USB Host Check indicating that USB Host mode is not enabled on my phone, but the sound quality, while better than straight from the phone's headphone jack, is not up to par with what I get streaming via Wi-Fi through UAPP. Not only that but the Dragonfly Red is indicating that the feed from Tidal offline is 24/96. Is this a case of Android up-sampling the DACs highest resolution? If so is there any way to shut this off and have Android send bit perfect or something relatively close to bit perfect to my Dragonfly DAC?

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #8,303 of 9,526
How do I do that.

Like I said I am now getting Tidal in offline mode to the Dragonfly Red despite USB Host Check indicating that USB Host mode is not enabled on my phone, but the sound quality, while better than straight from the phone's headphone jack, is not up to par with what I get streaming via Wi-Fi through UAPP. Not only that but the Dragonfly Red is indicating that the feed from Tidal offline is 24/96. Is this a case of Android up-sampling the DACs highest resolution? If so is there any way to shut this off and have Android send bit perfect or something relatively close to bit perfect to my Dragonfly DAC?

I'm pretty sure there's no way around this - though I'd be very happy for someone to suggest otherwise.  I agree that playback sound quality is noticeably better through UAPP, though the user interface is poor and I find UAPP very buggy.  I imagine that if UAPP was permitted to play offline Tidal files you could download a shedload of music and then cancel your Tidal subscription and still have access to your Tidal offline music through UAPP.  

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #8,304 of 9,526
How do I do that.

I'm pretty sure there's no way around this - though I'd be very happy for someone to suggest otherwise.  I agree that playback sound quality is noticeably better through UAPP, though the user interface is poor and I find UAPP very buggy.  I imagine that if UAPP was permitted to play offline Tidal files you could download a shedload of music and then cancel your Tidal subscription and still have access to your Tidal offline music through UAPP.  

Ya. I don't think they would allow that. They being Tidal.

My experience with UAPP is limited, having only had it for a short time, but I don't find the UI too bad and I haven't noticed any bugginess so far.

On a positive note I have been in contact with Audioquest and they tell me that there will be a downloadable firmware fix for this issue coming in the fall.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #8,305 of 9,526
so i bought this sony m4 aqua to connect it to my mojo and its running android 6.01

what a disappointing phone as it seems it does not support usb audio output

unless i am mistaken

i always disliked sony phones as rooting them is pain and getting bootloader unlocked is even worse

i was under the assumption that any android phone having android 6 has usb audio output support

this is not good 

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,306 of 9,526
Hey, and I'm back. I picked up a Mojo again, and I'm going to connect it to my LG V10. Are there any quirks I should be aware of?

Also, I've been using USB Audio Player Pro, and it keeps "timing out" with Tidal when I use it without a DAC. Is that a new development, or just because I was playing it straight through Android?

I asked Davey, who developed the app, and he advised it's a bigger problem for US users for some reason.

Hope it's just a quirk of using the app without a DAC.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #8,307 of 9,526
The Galaxy S7/S7 Edge does not support USB audio. For anyone interested in the S7, keep in mind you won't be able to use a portable dac w/ it. This is w/ the stock Touchwiz rom. Maybe it'll work with root.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #8,308 of 9,526
The Galaxy S7/S7 Edge does not support USB audio. For anyone interested in the S7, keep in mind you won't be able to use a portable dac w/ it. This is w/ the stock Touchwiz rom. Maybe it'll work with root.

If that is true, then that's ridiculous. A current flagship, premium device that doesn't support USB audio. With the proliferation of portable USB DAC's available today, why would Samsung do this.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #8,309 of 9,526

What did you do to come up such conclusion?

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,310 of 9,526
Hi,

There is some experience I want to share. My gear is Samsung Android tablet with UAPP, iFi micro iDSD USB DAC/AMP and Noble Kaiser 10 CIEMs.
So since I got my iDSD I've become a big fan of DFF/DSF formats. But they are really heavy to store on a single 128GB microSD flash card, so I wondered, is there a way to attach to my tablet another USB flash drive along with my iDSD DAC and play a music from USB stick to USB DAC?
And guess what, there is a perfectly working solution.

So I purchased tree OTG USB HUBs from aliexpress, first two are happened to be a total crap:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Del-3-in-1-USB-OTG-Cable-Adapter-Micro-USB-Hub-USB-OTG-Adapter-for-Smartphone/32653930463.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.73.UycZYF
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-usb-otg-HUB-2-USB-female-external-U-disk-mouse-keyboard-Multifunction-otg-2-HUB/32647556512.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.82.UycZYF

But this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SimpleStone-Mini-OTG-2-In-1-USB-2-0-3-Port-Power-LED-Hub-for-PC/32641475886.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.64.UycZYF
is working just great, gives me enough speed for playing DSD256 from USB stick to USB DAC and does it perfectly stable without any gaps or clicks.

So now I feel much better carrying 128+256GB of music with me in my bag.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back