Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #8,311 of 9,526
The Galaxy S7/S7 Edge does not support USB audio. For anyone interested in the S7, keep in mind you won't be able to use a portable dac w/ it. This is w/ the stock Touchwiz rom. Maybe it'll work with root.

I have the Exynos S7E and it works with my Dragonfly Black, Fiio Q1, iBasso D14, Topping NX2 and Asus Xonar U3 all with stock rom. Root is needed with the DFB to fix the volume issues but it works without root with the other DAC/Amps. With UAPP the DFB works properly and no need for root.

When you connect a USB DAC it routes audio by default unless disabled in developer options, in the pull down menu it even allows you to switch between audio outputs. I'm sure that there will be some DACs that don't work but it is not universal that DACs don't work with the S7E (Exynos). I can't comment on the Snapdragon versions.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #8,312 of 9,526
What did you do to come up such conclusion?

Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge
Fiio E17K
Included fiio usb cable
Included Samsung OTG adapter

I turned charge off on the fiio, turned usb source to audio, the best I could do is a couple seconds of audio before it immediately cuts out. I tried the E17K with my cousin's Moto X Pure and it immediately worked no questions asked. It's the S7. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #8,313 of 9,526
I have the Exynos S7E and it works with my Dragonfly Black, Fiio Q1, iBasso D14, Topping NX2 and Asus Xonar U3 all with stock rom. Root is needed with the DFB to fix the volume issues but it works without root with the other DAC/Amps. With UAPP the DFB works properly and no need for root.

When you connect a USB DAC it routes audio by default unless disabled in developer options, in the pull down menu it even allows you to switch between audio outputs. I'm sure that there will be some DACs that don't work but it is not universal that DACs don't work with the S7E (Exynos). I can't comment on the Snapdragon versions.

I'm not sure, maybe the Exynos version is different (SD version here). I get the option to switch between audio outputs too, but that doesn't do anything. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,314 of 9,526
Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge
Fiio E17K
Included fiio usb cable
Included Samsung OTG adapter

I turned charge off on the fiio, turned usb source to audio, the best I could do is a couple seconds of audio before it immediately cuts out. I tried the E17K with my cousin's Moto X Pure and it immediately worked no questions asked. It's the S7. 

Sounds more like a compatability issue between the S7 and E17K, I had similar issues with the Fiio Q1 and my Galaxy S5, that only ever works if there is a hub in between but it works on other phones without the hub. Does the E17K comply with the general power requirements of USB OTG. It does seem that some DAC/phone combinations won't play nice together.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #8,315 of 9,526
Try using Hibymusic from Playstore (it's free).

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #8,318 of 9,526
UAPP in Native DSD!!

Very very very Happy!! 
gs1000.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #8,319 of 9,526
Anyone know the differences between the two model numbers of the LG Hi-Fi Plus module?

One is AFD-1200 while the other is AFD-1210. On eBay the only difference I can see is about $100. I was thinking maybe the AFD-1200s are fakes, but LG sells the $99 dollar one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Hi-Fi-Plus-PLAY-AFD-1200/dp/B01DAER41K#Ask

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #8,320 of 9,526
Hello all,

I have some admittedly silly questions for all of you in regards to portable devices. I know that when using a PC or stand alone CD player that using an external DAC essentially negates most sound differences that would be caused by the source.

For example, if I make a lossless copy of Dark Side of the Moon and play it back from my PC using Foobar in Wasapi mode to my DAC it will sound like "X". If I play this same CD in my Cambridge audio CD player and run the digital out to my same DAC, then it will also sound like "X" and should be identical to playing from my PC. Hence, using an external DAC removes the variables in sound caused by the source.

However, I am curious to know if this is the same with phones, tablets, and idevices.

I have an Apple iphone 6, a Motorola E2 (2nd gen) Android phone, Nextbook Flexx 10 Tablet (Windows), an Android RCA tablet (cheap $35 from Wal-Mart for my 5 year old, I cannot remember the model), and my GF has a Samsung Android tablet (cannot remember the model).

If I were to buy an external DAC, such as the Oppo HA-2, that is compatible with all of these operating systems, then would all of these devices sound identical through the Oppo?

Are there ways to get "bit perfect" output to the DAC from Android and iOS? I know windows will work, but not sure about the other two as I have never really messed around with trying to get audiophile sound from portable devices.  iam just curious to know if it is possible.

If so, are there lower cost alternatives to the Oppo DAC? I would need something low cost and compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.

As an alternative, a device that would extract a bit perfect digital signal that could then be sent to the DAC of choice would also work for my needs.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,321 of 9,526
  Hello all,

I have some admittedly silly questions for all of you in regards to portable devices. I know that when using a PC or stand alone CD player that using an external DAC essentially negates most sound differences that would be caused by the source.

For example, if I make a lossless copy of Dark Side of the Moon and play it back from my PC using Foobar in Wasapi mode to my DAC it will sound like "X". If I play this same CD in my Cambridge audio CD player and run the digital out to my same DAC, then it will also sound like "X" and should be identical to playing from my PC. Hence, using an external DAC removes the variables in sound caused by the source.

However, I am curious to know if this is the same with phones, tablets, and idevices.

I have an Apple iphone 6, a Motorola E2 (2nd gen) Android phone, Nextbook Flexx 10 Tablet (Windows), an Android RCA tablet (cheap $35 from Wal-Mart for my 5 year old, I cannot remember the model), and my GF has a Samsung Android tablet (cannot remember the model).

If I were to buy an external DAC, such as the Oppo HA-2, that is compatible with all of these operating systems, then would all of these devices sound identical through the Oppo?

Are there ways to get "bit perfect" output to the DAC from Android and iOS? I know windows will work, but not sure about the other two as I have never really messed around with trying to get audiophile sound from portable devices.  iam just curious to know if it is possible.

If so, are there lower cost alternatives to the Oppo DAC? I would need something low cost and compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.

As an alternative, a device that would extract a bit perfect digital signal that could then be sent to the DAC of choice would also work for my needs.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

As long a there are no disruptions in the source device (lack of throughput, USB issues of power drain or ground loops) and the data streams are not altered (resampled) or processed differently (EQ, DSP) you should get the same results. So due to some of this the software player can be problem, use good software. In most cases jitter is overrated as a problem. You should get the same results. Lack of CPU can cause stuttering and other annoyances/problems.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #8,322 of 9,526
  As long a there are no disruptions in the source device (lack of throughput, USB issues of power drain or ground loops) and the data streams are not altered (resampled) or processed differently (EQ, DSP) you should get the same results. So due to some of this the software player can be problem, use good software. In most cases jitter is overrated as a problem. You should get the same results. Lack of CPU can cause stuttering and other annoyances/problems.

The only thing I would add to this is that with UAPP (and possibly other apps with their own USB driver) music will play at the native sample rate but with any app that uses the Android audio system music seems to be resampled to whatever the particular device is set up for and this may in theory impact on audio quality.

For example on my Galaxy S5 the DFB light is green (16/44) with Spotify/Google Play Music but on my S7 and Moto G (2015) it lights up magenta (24/96) presumably because the internal system is set up for the higher sample rate and as a result it just resamples and outputs at the rate defined by the system.

Apps with their own USB drivers bypass the Android system sound and kernel, all other apps send their sound through the Android system and kernel and this is where you may see some difference between devices. I have to say that when using Spotify/Google Play Music on the S5,S7,Moto I don't hear anything that jumps out as being different but that could just be down to my ears not being sensitive enough. I also use my DFB with Windows and Linux and again don't really notice any discernable differences using the same source material, although volume control does seem to vary between devices.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #8,323 of 9,526
  The only thing I would add to this is that with UAPP (and possibly other apps with their own USB driver) music will play at the native sample rate but with any app that uses the Android audio system music seems to be resampled to whatever the particular device is set up for and this may in theory impact on audio quality.

For example on my Galaxy S5 the DFB light is green (16/44) with Spotify/Google Play Music but on my S7 and Moto G (2015) it lights up magenta (24/96) presumably because the internal system is set up for the higher sample rate and as a result it just resamples and outputs at the rate defined by the system.

Apps with their own USB drivers bypass the Android system sound and kernel, all other apps send their sound through the Android system and kernel and this is where you may see some difference between devices. I have to say that when using Spotify/Google Play Music on the S5,S7,Moto I don't hear anything that jumps out as being different but that could just be down to my ears not being sensitive enough. I also use my DFB with Windows and Linux and again don't really notice any discernable differences using the same source material, although volume control does seem to vary between devices.

As you did, I mentioned resampling. Some people believe resampling to a higher resolution does something positive, I find that hard to believe as one cannot create what was not there in the first place. Of course it is possible to lose something in the process, which is why I listed it.
Good of you to mention volume controls as when done digitally or in software one is scaling the signal and is loosing resolution, too much and one notices this, so I prefer line levels all the way to an analog volume control. I don't mind a digitally controlled analog attenuator as long as it has enough steps and they are placed in the same logarithmic manner a a volume potentiometer.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #8,324 of 9,526

Thank you for the info!

Thank you for the additional info!

Ok, my main objective here would be to bypass any internal re-clocking, to achieve a bit perfect signal goes to the DAC.

I assume that this can be done via the player you use, like Foobar with WASAPI on my PC?

Apologies for the silly questions, but I am clueless when it comes to portable audio! 
redface.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #8,325 of 9,526
  Thank you for the info!

Thank you for the additional info!

Ok, my main objective here would be to bypass any internal re-clocking, to achieve a bit perfect signal goes to the DAC.

I assume that this can be done via the player you use, like Foobar with WASAPI on my PC?

Apologies for the silly questions, but I am clueless when it comes to portable audio! 
redface.gif

I wouldn't get crazy over reclocking,IMO  it's a waste of time. Get a good DAC with a crystal controlled clock and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back