Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #8,161 of 9,526
  I think that the whole notion of universal OTG dac support for Android to be a fantasy! 

I have used devices that work with some phones yet not with others.  I have used devices that work once then will not connect again.  I have used some that work with some programs yet not with other supposedly working programs.  I have read of these same issues about pretty much every little usb/dac amp even the hottest and newest.  Some work great with older Lolipop and some do not work reliably with Marshmallow. 

It behooves anyone who is going to shell out some cash for a new or used USB dac/device to get confirmation form several folks who have the same configuration as you do including the generation of phone and which sweet version of Android you have.

I have given up on the idea entirely!  I had far less interruptions, connection issues etc back when I had a iPod touch and ran it via line out to a nice amp.

Yes, it's very frustrating isn't it.

I thought that when integrated Android devices like the FiiO X7 and Onkyo DP-X1 came along all of these issues would be resolved. However they're beset by numerous problems too 
frown.gif

I bought the X7 and had to return it, now have the DP-X1 which is great with my own library, but poor with streaming services. 

Perhaps the next generation of players will do better.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #8,162 of 9,526
We are still waiting to see a what SEIUN-PLAYER from indiegogo produce.
It's always a painful process but for the cost seems worth it. A simple overview is a cut down phone. But hopefully more than that. But don't compare it to an AK Dap hopefully a good starter android Dap...

HQ player OTG to OPPO HA1 still sounds great.

I may jump on the MYTEK BROOKLYN as it should be PHONE otg-able.

Keep smiling gents

Dave

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #8,163 of 9,526
  Nothing is playing for me here. I have a Moto E2 > ODAC > Vorzamp setup. What could be some troubleshooting I can do? 

Tried with my LG V10, works flawlessly. Maybe is it Motorola.

Android USB audio - FAQ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

. How to enable USB audio support on my Android device?
If the native USB audio does not work then you need to use one of the third-party USB audio music players (which include their own USB audio function / soft driver).
2. Third-party USB audio: USB Audio Player PRO, ...

Android USB audio - A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
WORKING AUDIO DEVICES WITH EXTREAM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT USB DRIVER: JDS Labs ODAC ...
WORKING ANDROID DEVICES: Motorola Moto E (2nd gen) ...

. I have an Android device, a USB DAC and a USB OTG cable which are reportedly compatible, but I have not been able to make it work.
Is there a trick to make it work?

. How about compatibility of Android device with USB DAC?
At the present time, Android USB Audio is in its infancy.
The FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp for example was not compatible with the first version of USB audio of the Samsung Galaxy S3. The E17 can now work with the S3.

It is not easy for the latest entrants (Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, ..., third party USB audio developers, and now Google from Android 5.0 Lollipop) in the existing USB DAC jungle because the USB specification allows some variability.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4080#post_10270550

The latest entrants have to adapt their USB audio implementation to (most) existing USB DACs.
They have to be compatible with different interpretations of the USB specification.

Once the native Google USB audio becomes mature, it will very likely become a reference USB audio implementation in the USB DAC industry used for testing by the developers of new USB DACs, i.e. these USB DAC developers will have to adopt the Google interpretation of the USB specification, because a "professional" USB DAC maker could not ignore Android, the biggest computing device market share.

The XMOS Multi-Function Audio Design Reference is used by many USB DAC makers to speed up the development of their USB DAC compatible with PC, Mac and Android; and the XMOS developers test it against PC, Mac and some key Android devices.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4560#post_10497985

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #8,164 of 9,526
  I think that the whole notion of universal OTG dac support for Android to be a fantasy! 

I have used devices that work with some phones yet not with others.  I have used devices that work once then will not connect again.  I have used some that work with some programs yet not with other supposedly working programs.  I have read of these same issues about pretty much every little usb/dac amp even the hottest and newest.  Some work great with older Lolipop and some do not work reliably with Marshmallow. 

It behooves anyone who is going to shell out some cash for a new or used USB dac/device to get confirmation form several folks who have the same configuration as you do including the generation of phone and which sweet version of Android you have.

I have given up on the idea entirely!  I had far less interruptions, connection issues etc back when I had a iPod touch and ran it via line out to a nice amp.

I have jumped on this idea (smartphone + DAC/Amp) thinking I could save money.....I DID!

Even though(fortunately enough) all my portable DACs DAC/Amps worked seemlessly with my phones/tablet, what also gave me a "Not At The Moment" attitude is not the connectivity problem but the conveniency of using it. Piggybacking my smartphone with a DAC/Amp, more cables/connectors to bring etc. just makes it more difficult to become "portable".

I saved money, yes, but my needs of having a simple, convenient, portable device far outweighed it.

Now have two directions to go to. An Audiophile smartphone to replace my aging Note 3 (LG V10/G5,  Vivo Xplay 5 Elite or the likes) or a badass TOTL DAP.

The later I have already backed on IGG. Will it come? hmmmmm.... say my patience are getting thin.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #8,165 of 9,526
  Hi all,

New here. Searched this thread up and down, but can't find the answer to my problem. I have Moto X Play (running Marshmallow 6.0.1) and I'm trying to connect Meridian Explorer 2 to it. I got an OTG cable, but when I connect the DAC, it does not turn on.

In principle, no trouble with Moto X Play and OTG DAC. My GO V1 is fine, direct or via powered hub.

Yeah, they don't officially support Android. But I think the problem here is with Motorola, since it works with Samsung.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

My guess is that the problem is with Meridian --- or that it simply draws too much power for the phone. But the Geek-out is a miniature room heater, so I would think it is pretty power hungry.

Certainly it is. But aren't there still devices that need their own drivers to even work with a Windows PC? 

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #8,166 of 9,526
Spotify users please support this idea!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Connect-Support-USB-Audio-through-the-USB-Audio-Player/idc-p/1364885#M81950

[Android][Connect] Support USB Audio through the USB Audio Player PRO driver

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Connect-Support-USB-Audio-through-the-USB-Audio-Player/idc-p/1364885#M81950

Background
External USB headphone DAC/amps for Android phones are becoming a thing.  The release of the LG G5 and its "Hi-Fi Plus module" is an example that has been widely publicised.  What Hi-Fi has a Best DACs page that mainly lists portable audiophile kit - a few years ago the DACs in What Hi-Fi were all mains powered and large.  I would personally prefer to carry a phone and a DAC rather than a phone and a portable music player mostly because of Spotify. 

USB Audio support in Android 5 (Lollypop) is imperfect - see this support thread.

AudioQuest, makers of the Dragonfly, have recommended the USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) app.  The app uses its own USB Audio Driver to bypass the imperfect Android driver.  On my phone I get glitching and up-sampling in Spotify with the Dragonfly and the Android driver but there are no issues with UAPP.

Proposal
Spotify developers could work with the makers of USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) to support their USB Audio driver in Spotify.  I imagine that UAPP would need to be installed before Spotify would see the driver.  So I imagine UAPP's developers would help with the integration because it would lead to more sales of their app.

Advantages
  1. The UAPP developers are clearly experts at linking Android phones to USB audio devices.
  2. If there is a concern about protecting the IP in the music then working with the developer of the USB driver could be useful. e.g. to verify that the end point was a supported device.
  3. I expect Google will improve the Android drivers in the future but Spotify users, like me, are looking for audiophile sound quality now and on their current devices.
  4. Spotify's competitor Tidal is already supported by UAPP.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #8,167 of 9,526
You should check out BubbleUPnP. No Spotify support yet, but the current list is impressive.

Integrates with UAPP perfectly!

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #8,168 of 9,526
Can somebody explain how to get Qobuz running through UAPP, i know this is possible now thanks to the latest update enabling the ability to use BubbleUPnP with UAPP but I just cannot figure out how to play Qobuz

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #8,169 of 9,526
  Can somebody explain how to get Qobuz running through UAPP, i know this is possible now thanks to the latest update enabling the ability to use BubbleUPnP with UAPP but I just cannot figure out how to play Qobuz

I've never used Qobuz but these are the steps I used to access Google Music with BubbleUPnP

1) Connect your DAC
2) Allow USB Audio Player Pro to access device
3) Press the 3 dot menu and select "Start UPnP renderer"
4) Open BubbleUPnP
5) Select UAPP as local renderer
6) Select Local Media Server
7) Select Cloud
8) Choose your streaming service

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,170 of 9,526
Just saw the SMSL Idol on Massdrop for $39.99. Has anyone tried it, and if so - is it any good?

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #8,171 of 9,526
You may wish to inquire in this thread as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs

My guess is it will sound as good as and work as consistently and reliably with Android phones as all the other $39 dac/amps
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #8,172 of 9,526
  I've never used Qobuz but these are the steps I used to access Google Music with BubbleUPnP

1) Connect your DAC
2) Allow USB Audio Player Pro to access device
3) Press the 3 dot menu and select "Start UPnP renderer"
4) Open BubbleUPnP
5) Select UAPP as local renderer
6) Select Local Media Server
7) Select Cloud
8) Choose your streaming service

Thanks - that gives me an idea of how to use "uapp as renderer" in general.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #8,173 of 9,526
FiiO tells people that the K1 wasn't actually designed and advertised for use with mobile phones, for all the good that'll do...

Actually, Fiio K1 works at least on some devices. OnePlus 2, OxygenOS 3.0.2. Just make sure otg is enabled and usb host is enabled. I used "USB Host Check" app to verify everything is OK. My phone is rooted, so I was able make the changes to enable everything. Then just plugged in K1 and headset and it works (with official OnePlus usbc-microusb adapter). Well, almost: the volume levels are not great. All but last to levels are quite low and last two are too loud. That's a problem of this OOS version I guess.

I also have Muse X5, but it outputs only mono audio for some reason. It's apparently an android bug in 6.0.
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=194130
On laptop the X5 works fine.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #8,174 of 9,526
Yes! Got my Meridian Explorer 2 working with a smartphone!

It doesn't work with my Moto X Play, but works just fine with my old Oppo Find 7a (X9006) running ColorOS V1.2.7 (Android 4.3).

Now all I need is a big MicroSD card to keep the huge HiRes albums and an audio cable (3.5 mm to 3,5 mm) to connect the output of the DAC to the AUX input in my car. And voila! HiRes Audio on the go! :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #8,175 of 9,526

FiiO tells people that the K1 wasn't actually designed and advertised for use with mobile phones, for all the good that'll do...

Actually, Fiio K1 works at least on some devices. OnePlus 2, OxygenOS 3.0.2. Just make sure otg is enabled and usb host is enabled. I used "USB Host Check" app to verify everything is OK. My phone is rooted, so I was able make the changes to enable everything. Then just plugged in K1 and headset and it works (with official OnePlus usbc-microusb adapter). Well, almost: the volume levels are not great. All but last to levels are quite low and last two are too loud. That's a problem of this OOS version I guess.

I also have Muse X5, but it outputs only mono audio for some reason. It's apparently an android bug in 6.0.
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=194130
On laptop the X5 works fine.

Did you change the default android up sampling ?
Android will pass usb audio @ 192 Khz irrespective of source input :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back