Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,631 of 9,526
Hello. Have someone put modi 2 and android device together via usb audio player pro? Got crackling, tried all options. Asked people, they successfully connected my smartphone model (lenovo p780) to fiio dacs with no crackling. Support told "try airplane mode, kill processes". Didn't help. Thanks.

I am presently listening with Sony Z3 compact, Android 4.4.4, UAPP/Walkman/Spotify/Deezer/Tidal players --> Transcend or Hama card reader/hub with Kingston 256GB SDXC card --> Schiit Wyrd --> Schiit Modi2.

Reliability of this set-up is increased by using a OTG USB Y-cable from the phone (data) and external battery (additional power) to the card reader/hub (USB current limitations?).

With external power, the set-up is pretty much plug and play in which ever order you connect the components, or even all at once (power first though). Without the external power  you typically need to connect the components in a specific order and sometimes the connection to the card reader/hub or card or DAC is lost. I have not yet done extensive testing if some combinations are more reliable than others without the external power.

No problem with these players and set-up, and playing back the files from the SDXC card as well.

Works also if I replace Schiit Wyrd and the card reader/hub with DeLock powered USB hub. Also Cypherlabs Solo-DB and ODAC work in these set-ups, but Solo works more reliably if you switch it on only after plugging in and turning on the rest of the components.

---------------

I am aiming to build a large storage, portable, iPhone classic based brick (see my signature) replacement. Hence I decided to test the SD-card based options, to keep the size minimal.

The below looks good so far, with roughly 5-10% of phone battery usage/hour when playing music via UAPP, and rather compact footprint, if you find a small external battery and short cables to connect the components together:

Sony Z3 compact, Android 4.4.4, UAPP/Walkman/Spotify/Deezer/Tidal players --> OTG USB Y-cable with external battery -->  Transcend or Hama card reader/hub with Kingston 256GB SDXC memory card -->Solo-DB --> portable amp --> headphone/IEM.

For a smaller portable set-up, I plan to test the Geek out 450 in place of Solo-DB and the amp. I have seen one report that Z3 (compact?) was working with GO 450, but not sure until I try as the reports on GO 450 compatibility are varied, to say the least.

---------------

According to testing with phone playing 44,1kHz, 16-bit files or streams -> Wyrd --> MuFi V-Link II --> Anti-Mode 2 --> DAC, this set up also works and the bit rates that the Sony ouputs as reported by Anti-Mode 2 are as follows:
- UAPP: 44,1kHz, 24 bit
- Walkman: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Tidal: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Deezer: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Spotify: 48kHz, 24(or was it 16?) bit

So it seems that UAPP, Walkman, Tidal and Deezer bypasses or are not re-sampled by the Android sound framework, while Spotify is re-sampled. Also, the volume keys work with Spotify.

Anti-mode 2 does not work with Sony Z3 compact with or without Wyrd, at least on my Anti-mode 2 firmware that is rather old. So I used the MuFi V-Link II that does work with Z3 compact to transform USB to toslink optical.

-----------------

However, I have not been able to get Samsung Galaxy S4+ with Android 5.0.? playing Spotify, with any phone audio settings, to work through Schiit Wyrd or the DeLock Hub with Modi2.

The best result so far with Galaxy S4+ is a bit like you describe, crackling/static among which you can faintly hear the music.

I have also tested ODAC directly with Galaxy S4+ and Spotify and it did not produce any sound, but I need to do more extensive testing with ODAC and the different players and powered hubs to find out if e.g. UAPP + Wyrd + ODAC does the trick.

Not really optimistic, though. I think Samsung messed up the implementation in the S4+, as others earlier in the thread had similar problems.

As reported earlier, Samsung Galaxy S4+ with Android 4.4.x did work with ODAC without powered hub  and with powered hubs with other DACs as well.

------------

The components I have used and tested in the above set-ups below, in case you think of building a brick along the same lines. The key thing I focused was the support for SDXC cards for large enough storage.

DeLock OTG powered USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JA53HQA/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_3p_M3T1_dp_1
Hama OTG USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00L47FHYW/ref=pe_386171_51767411_TE_M3T1_dp_1
Transcend OTG USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KOJCKVY/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_3
Kingston 256GB SDXC memory card: http://www.amazon.de/Kingston-profesional-SD-Karte-SDA10-256GB/dp/B00PH5VBFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429719398&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston+256+GB+SDXC

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #6,632 of 9,526
I have connected successfully modi 2 to lenovo p780 by changing android version (4.4.3 custom) and setting following settings in UAPP: force 16 bit, buffer size 400 ms, no usb tweaks. I have pretty good sound with 16 bit files (mey be a bit less DR or degradated, not sure), but still with crackling on 24 bits.
Didn't try powered hub or Y-otg yet.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #6,633 of 9,526
Guys a question I updated my Sony xperia z ultra to lollipop and now I connect my Sony to ifi micro dsd so if I have files 192/24 will get the Sony to output 192/24 into my ifi micro dsd or will it be downsampled

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,634 of 9,526

I am presently listening with Sony Z3 compact, Android 4.4.4, UAPP/Walkman/Spotify/Deezer/Tidal players --> Transcend or Hama card reader/hub with Kingston 256GB SDXC card --> Schiit Wyrd --> Schiit Modi2.

Reliability of this set-up is increased by using a OTG USB Y-cable from the phone (data) and external battery (additional power) to the card reader/hub (USB current limitations?).

With external power, the set-up is pretty much plug and play in which ever order you connect the components, or even all at once (power first though). Without the external power  you typically need to connect the components in a specific order and sometimes the connection to the card reader/hub or card or DAC is lost. I have not yet done extensive testing if some combinations are more reliable than others without the external power.

No problem with these players and set-up, and playing back the files from the SDXC card as well.

Works also if I replace Schiit Wyrd and the card reader/hub with DeLock powered USB hub. Also Cypherlabs Solo-DB and ODAC work in these set-ups, but Solo works more reliably if you switch it on only after plugging in and turning on the rest of the components.

---------------

I am aiming to build a large storage, portable, iPhone classic based brick (see my signature) replacement. Hence I decided to test the SD-card based options, to keep the size minimal.

The below looks good so far, with roughly 5-10% of phone battery usage/hour when playing music via UAPP, and rather compact footprint, if you find a small external battery and short cables to connect the components together:

Sony Z3 compact, Android 4.4.4, UAPP/Walkman/Spotify/Deezer/Tidal players --> OTG USB Y-cable with external battery -->  Transcend or Hama card reader/hub with Kingston 256GB SDXC memory card -->Solo-DB --> portable amp --> headphone/IEM.

For a smaller portable set-up, I plan to test the Geek out 450 in place of Solo-DB and the amp. I have seen one report that Z3 (compact?) was working with GO 450, but not sure until I try as the reports on GO 450 compatibility are varied, to say the least.

---------------

According to testing with phone playing 44,1kHz, 16-bit files or streams -> Wyrd --> MuFi V-Link II --> Anti-Mode 2 --> DAC, this set up also works and the bit rates that the Sony ouputs as reported by Anti-Mode 2 are as follows:
- UAPP: 44,1kHz, 24 bit
- Walkman: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Tidal: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Deezer: 44,1kHz, 16 bit
- Spotify: 48kHz, 24(or was it 16?) bit

So it seems that UAPP, Walkman, Tidal and Deezer bypasses or are not re-sampled by the Android sound framework, while Spotify is re-sampled. Also, the volume keys work with Spotify.

Anti-mode 2 does not work with Sony Z3 compact with or without Wyrd, at least on my Anti-mode 2 firmware that is rather old. So I used the MuFi V-Link II that does work with Z3 compact to transform USB to toslink optical.

-----------------

However, I have not been able to get Samsung Galaxy S4+ with Android 5.0.? playing Spotify, with any phone audio settings, to work through Schiit Wyrd or the DeLock Hub with Modi2.

The best result so far with Galaxy S4+ is a bit like you describe, crackling/static among which you can faintly hear the music.

I have also tested ODAC directly with Galaxy S4+ and Spotify and it did not produce any sound, but I need to do more extensive testing with ODAC and the different players and powered hubs to find out if e.g. UAPP + Wyrd + ODAC does the trick.

Not really optimistic, though. I think Samsung messed up the implementation in the S4+, as others earlier in the thread had similar problems.

As reported earlier, Samsung Galaxy S4+ with Android 4.4.x did work with ODAC without powered hub  and with powered hubs with other DACs as well.

------------

The components I have used and tested in the above set-ups below, in case you think of building a brick along the same lines. The key thing I focused was the support for SDXC cards for large enough storage.

DeLock OTG powered USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JA53HQA/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_3p_M3T1_dp_1
Hama OTG USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00L47FHYW/ref=pe_386171_51767411_TE_M3T1_dp_1
Transcend OTG USB-hub/card reader: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KOJCKVY/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_3
Kingston 256GB SDXC memory card: http://www.amazon.de/Kingston-profesional-SD-Karte-SDA10-256GB/dp/B00PH5VBFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429719398&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston+256+GB+SDXC

Very interesting, I'm looking for a device (would prefer a tablet for better visibility) to use with a DAC to play TIDAL 16/44.1, or DEEZER (BTW how do you get DEEZER 16/44.1?) . Have you/anyone come across a decent Android tablet? Cheers 

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #6,635 of 9,526
Not sure if its the right thread.

Since android lollipop now supports USB audio out can any dac be used now?
I was thinking about buying a tablet and use it with my dacmagic plus with a usb cable. Then have the tablet as a musicplayer for my speakers.

/Robin

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #6,636 of 9,526
  Not sure if its the right thread.

Since android lollipop now supports USB audio out can any dac be used now?

Nope.

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the native USB audio of Android 5.0 Lollipop:
stock Google Nexus X running on Android 5.0 Lollipop > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/x3loEQ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6585#post_11499210

It is not easy for the latest entrants (Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, ..., and now Google) in the existing USB DAC jungle because the USB specification allows some variability.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4080#post_10270550

The latest entrants have to adapt their USB audio implementation to (most) existing USB DACs.
They have to be compatible with different interpretations of the USB specification.

Once the native Google USB audio becomes mature, it will very likely become a reference USB audio implementation in the USB DAC industry used  for testing by the developers of new USB DACs, i.e. these USB DAC developers will have to adopt the Google interpretation of the USB specification.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5550#post_10974392

For the time being, there are two main types of Android USB audio implementations: Native USB audio & User space / Third-Party USB audio

1. Native USB audio running on
. Android 4.x-powered Android devices: designed by Android device manufacturer (a “mature” USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered Google Nexus X devices: designed by Google (a new USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Google (a new USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Android device manufacturer (a somewhat “mature” USB audio like Android 4.x USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Google and enhanced by Android device manufacturer (i.e. a mix) (a somewhat new USB audio)

2. User space / Third-Party USB audio running on isochronous USB host-featured Android devices:
. implemented by eXtream Software Development (USB Audio Player PRO, USB Audio Recorder PRO)
. implemented by Seashells Music Software (HibyMusic).
. implemented by Onkyo (Onkyo HF Player).

X = 5, 6, 7 (2013), 9, 10
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6600#post_11508634

I was thinking about buying a tablet and use it with my dacmagic plus with a usb cable. Then have the tablet as a musicplayer for my speakers.

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus is compatible with USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) and there is a list of tablets compatible with UAPP at the UAPP website.

A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6585#post_11499210

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6,637 of 9,526
i was wondering now with lollipop on android which is the best of the best music player in android that works great with dacs like ifi micro dsd

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6,638 of 9,526
  i was wondering now with lollipop on android which is the best of the best music player in android that works great with dacs like ifi micro dsd

I'm using Onkyo's HF Player with the Micro. UAPP also works but sometimes wouldn't recognize the Micro.

Only problem with HF Player is the lack of folder search. If you have untagged music files like .wavs it may not find them when scanning. So no way to play those files.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #6,639 of 9,526
Yes the missing folder play / navogation is the only reason why I use UAPP instead of Onkyo HF Player. If they this pretty important feature I would go for the Onkyo HF Player.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #6,645 of 9,526
I've been using Hiby for use with my Oppo HA-2 and whilst it works really well with it I still can't get use the UI compared to Poweramp. My gripes - Albums that are listed under Artists just lists as songs - I want to be able to select the Album. Shuffle - No shuffle all. Now Playing - To get back to the track playing you have to keep pressing back until you get back to that screen. If you using folders to navigate that can take quite a while! Track Listings - For some reason it won't play my albums in the correct order. Poweramp does so perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back