Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #6,616 of 9,526
Hello. Have someone put modi 2 and android device together via usb audio player pro? Got crackling, tried all options. Asked people, they successfully connected my smartphone model (lenovo p780) to fiio dacs with no crackling. Support told "try airplane mode, kill processes". Didn't help. Thanks.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,617 of 9,526
Hello. Have someone put modi 2 and android device together via usb audio player pro? Got crackling, tried all options. Asked people, they successfully connected my smartphone model (lenovo p780) to fiio dacs with no crackling. Support told "try airplane mode, kill processes". Didn't help. Thanks.

Only thing that comes to mind is to try connecting the Modi 2 through a powered USB hub. Otherwise you can use something like the Wyrd as well. Perhaps others more experienced can chime in.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #6,618 of 9,526

I've got a Z3 Compact (D5803) running stock 4.4.4 and Walkman App (8.5.A.3.2) with a DragonFly 1.2 and it changes colors properly with all 4 sample rates, 44kHz:green, 48kHz:blue, 88kHz:amber, 96kHz:magenta so it doesn't do any resampling.  I normally use UAPP with the DF because there's no volume control when using the Walkman App. 

Even though 5.0.2 is available for OTA flashing now, I chose to stay with 4.4.4 because of various unresolved issues with 5.0.2 on the Z3/Z3c.  Now you've documented another reason for me not to upgrade.  I think I'll wait until the 5.1 release is ready and see how that goes for others before I decide if I want to "upgrade".  The phone works great for me as it currently stands now that I've figured out how to fix the AptX bluetooth music streaming stuttering issue.

I just realized that I do have file with 88.2khz so I tried my Z3 with my Microstreamer and yes it shows that value correctly. I'm also on 4.4.4
BTW what was the problem with the AptX?

Edit: I see your answer on the previous page, thanks.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #6,619 of 9,526
To my understanding, what you wrote

Quote:
  ... That makes sense since Lollipop now implements USB Audio Class 1 natively.

(i.e. Android 5.0 Lollipop's native USB audio can output … / 44.1kHz / 48kHz / 96kHz PCM stream to USB DAC, or can drive USB Audio Class 1 device)

and what the Android audio team wrote

@DanBa I'm not that into it technically, so I was saying after reading this page: https://source.android.com/devices/audio/usb.html

Host mode

Android 5.0 (API level 21) and above supports a subset of USB audio class 1 (UAC1) features:

(i.e. Android 5.0 Lollipop's native USB audio can output 48kHz PCM stream to USB DAC)

are not the same.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #6,620 of 9,526
Oh...Yes, thanks for pointing me that out!

So, before Android 5.0 ASOP, it didn't even support any subset of USB audio class 1 right?

With CM11S I couldn't use this DAC I have (HiFime 9018) on Oneplus One besides UAPP. Now at Cyanogen OS 12 S, I can use it in native audio. Cyanogen haven't gone any further than the AOSP on the USB audio aspect. So it makes sense right?

EDIT: mispelled AOSP -> I'm refering to Android AOSP.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #6,621 of 9,526
  Hi, I bought  a few days ago a Sony Xperia Z2 as a replacement for my Samsung Galaxy S3. It sees and plays music via Geek Out 450 (UAPP and Neutron player) on Stock Android 4.4.4. The Walkman app can play music but has no digital volume control. It can however access my DLNA server minimserver which I have installed in my macmini. Now I wanted to go one step further.

Is there any DLNA/UPNP app that can access  other servers AND render the music to other apps such as UAPP? I tried one named Arkuda (or something like that) which supposedly used UAPP as music player but no music came out of the earphones...Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Scratch that, today an automatic upgrade to Walkman app came OTA and now it  controls the volume of my Geek Out dac through the hardware button on the phone. So I can play all the music on my Mac mini. Configuration is Mac mini>minim server> Sony Xperia Z2>walkman app>Geek Out 450 DAC>Sony Mh1. Only problem (albeit a slight one) is the app upsamples everything to 48 khz, which makes the purist in me protest. But I can live with it. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #6,622 of 9,526
  Oh...Yes, thanks for pointing me that out!

So, before Android 5.0 AOSP, it didn't even support any subset of USB audio class 1 right?

Right!
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean didn’t support any USB Audio Class device (i.e. standard USB DAC), but it supported an Android Open Accessory protocol 2.0 (AOA 2.0) compliant USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/135#post_8508754
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5490#post_10965848
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5295#post_10838611

With CM11S I couldn't use this DAC I have (HiFime 9018) on Oneplus One besides UAPP. Now at Cyanogen OS 12 S, I can use it in native audio. Cyanogen haven't gone any further than the AOSP on the USB audio aspect. So it makes sense right?

Apparently CM11S can support high resolution audio.
http://www.talkandroid.com/222203-oneplus-one-cm11s-update-adds-support-for-raw-images-and-high-resolution-audio/

About Android USB audio compatibility & different implementations:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5550#post_10974392

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #6,623 of 9,526

Hi, I bought  a few days ago a Sony Xperia Z2 as a replacement for my Samsung Galaxy S3. It sees and plays music via Geek Out 450 (UAPP and Neutron player) on Stock Android 4.4.4. The Walkman app can play music but has no digital volume control. It can however access my DLNA server minimserver which I have installed in my macmini. Now I wanted to go one step further.

Is there any DLNA/UPNP app that can access  other servers AND render the music to other apps such as UAPP? I tried one named Arkuda (or something like that) which supposedly used UAPP as music player but no music came out of the earphones...Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Scratch that, today an automatic upgrade to Walkman app came OTA and now it  controls the volume of my Geek Out dac through the hardware button on the phone. So I can play all the music on my Mac mini. Configuration is Mac mini>minim server> Sony Xperia Z2>walkman app>Geek Out 450 DAC>Sony Mh1. Only problem (albeit a slight one) is the app upsamples everything to 48 khz, which makes the purist in me protest. But I can live with it. 

Yet another revision of my impressions of Walkman app: It controls volume alright,but ONLY when it plays  files via DLNA! NOT, when playing files in the phone itself or the SDcard. Go figure...

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #6,624 of 9,526

From 38R OTA "- enhanced audio capabilities (now the One lets you play high resolution music—24 bit, 96/192khz—flac/alac/wav files without resampling)"

I actually noticed this while playing music through Neutron (It supposed the DAC has ability for 24/192 or else they didn't make this available i guess) before I had this specific knlowlegde. It just sounded better on 24/96/192. But only at Headphone Out, this DAC I have didn't work ouside UAPP. Now, that it's recognized natively, I can listen at 24/192 through this same DAC everywhere in the system, if that's the audio source.

But like I said, this DAC only works everywhere just now with Android 5.0 update. And that's great because I invested in this DAC and an amp with better quality recently! I was waiting for this for some time, I didn't want to install CyanogenMod nightlies before because my phone supports oficcial/stable CM updates at the brand.

EDIT: (It supposed the DAC has ability for 24/192 or else they didn't make this available i guess) . Well, this can be false, they could have made this to output through USB audio. Just my DAC didn't supported it.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6,625 of 9,526
Is there a 'sticky' topic thread or a Master list somewhere with the current Android portable devices which are USB Audio compatible, either here in head-fi.org or external ?
I thought there was one referred to here in this topic which was being updated / maintained but I've lost it.

I want to look up some device brands / models which don't sppear in a search this topic.

Also - is there a "OTG Cables for Dummies" guide somewhere ?

- sorry I'm still relatively new here.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #6,626 of 9,526
Its just two pages back. 

Quote:
Is there a 'sticky' topic thread or a Master list somewhere with the current Android portable devices which are USB Audio compatible, either here in head-fi.org or external ?
I thought there was one referred to here in this topic which was being updated / maintained but I've lost it.

I want to look up some device brands / models which don't sppear in a search this topic.

- sorry I'm still relatively new here.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #6,627 of 9,526
I got an update of Android 5 on my Samsung Galaxy S5. No idea which version precisely: probably 5.01 or 5.02, since the system information just shows '5.0'...

The Audioquest Dragonfly works again with apps other than UAPP (TuneIn, Spotify, SoundCloud etc.), thanks.

The Dragonfly lights Magenta: obviously the audio framework of Android persists resampling to 2 x 48K. What's the hell...

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #6,628 of 9,526
I got an update of Android 5 on my Samsung Galaxy S5. No idea which version precisely: probably 5.01 or 5.02, since the system information just shows '5.0'...

The Audioquest Dragonfly works again with apps other than UAPP (TuneIn, Spotify, SoundCloud etc.), thanks.

The Dragonfly lights Magenta: obviously the audio framework of Android persists resampling to 2 x 48K. What's the hell...

OMG you give me hope! What carrier do you have? I'm with Verizon and have recieved an update abiut a month ago when I was already on 5.0. Hopefully they send an update out soon to fix the Dac incompatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back