Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #5,971 of 9,526
I'm in the same boat as you. I just picked up a Gustard U12 from eBay. There's others reasonably priced. I'll let you know how it goes on my end. Lol.Edit: Oh and yes , your phone supports OTG hosting. DanBa should be posting his list some time soon. Usually every 5 days. Cheers
Thanks - that looks ideal! I'm pretty sure my phone does support OTG Hosting - Anyone else had success going this route through an Android phone? For some reason I hadn't thought to search usb to spdif adapters.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5,973 of 9,526
He posts this list every so often as new dacs become confirmed working via Android otg function.
Android phones and USB DACs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5910
I look forward to hearing what you find! =) I'm not sure what you meant by DanBa's list - sorry I'm new! =)

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #5,978 of 9,526
True to Schiit's word the Fulla USB DAC/AMP seems to require a powered hub with Android devices (therefore making it fairly useless for portable). Tested with my Note 4 (Exynos), which I would imagine puts out a bigger than usual charge to USB OTG devices, as Samsung devices tend to do that, and no go via regular USB OTG. Will dig up my hub to confirm tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #5,979 of 9,526

Hello fanoble,

I downgraded to v.1.01 of Hiby, but it keeps automatically upgrading to 1.1.1. Can you advise on how I can stop this?

Are you rooted/do you have root on your device?
If so you could simply uncheck the apps permission to use your network-connection by using AFWall (Android Firewall) or go even further with  xPrivacy(restrict every single permission if you like, but more complicated)
I didn't know Hiby-Player until just yet and it has a few permissions to much for me, so that in case that i would use it, i would trim it down to the bare minimum needed :)
I mean what for should a music-player need constant network-access and the permission to redirect calls?
Just to name a few "kinda" unnecessary permissions, which i would most-likely block if i were to use the app :) :

1. reroute outgoing calls (for what? not beeing disturbed by incoming calls?)
  1. view Wi-Fi connections (umm updates maybe? or everything else)

1. read phone status and identity

1. full network access  (tbh it shouldn't be needed, as Play-Store handles updates?! But necessary for DLNA, got it.)
  2. view network connections (DLNA/Wifi-Check/Updates)
  3. modify system settings (Could be everything without looking into)
  4. send sticky broadcast (Most likely DLNA-Streams or everything else :) )

Cheers.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #5,980 of 9,526
Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910W8 also works well with stock apps on Schiit Bifrost via OTG.  No hub needed.
Note : Kit Kat 4.4.4

Mistake

Do you use android 4/5 ? Software like winamp and some others stock applications use stock usb audio drivers and cannot ouput upper than 16/44 48.

http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/Android5USB.html

USB audio resolution on Android devices using USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) /Hiby and soon ONKYO HF app is up to 24/192

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,981 of 9,526
Just checked out "HibyMusic" and well it's okay-ish to be honest.
It autochecks the whole device for music right on startup and so far seems to work quite ok with most formats.

But it try's to connect to the net on every startup which i blocked right away.
It is funny that MOST of the permissions can be revoken by the user without force-closing the app or f-up the music playback.
I still don't know why the app want's to have the permission to re-route OUTGOING calls, but i guess its because the "USB-DAC" overrides the internal audio and therefore would cause problems, not sure though (and don't like it ether).

BTW. the App has no visual volume-slider whatsoever, and it is just possible to turn the volume up with the physical up/down-buttons and also only if the app is in the foreground.
Most controls are quite straight-forward and the ipod-esque slider is also quite nice, they could have used it for more than scrolling forwards in the song, like using it for turning the volume up/down (like in the old ipods)

Cheers.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,982 of 9,526

Hello fanoble,

I downgraded to v.1.01 of Hiby, but it keeps automatically upgrading to 1.1.1. Can you advise on how I can stop this?

Are you rooted/do you have root on your device?
If so you could simply uncheck the apps permission to use your network-connection by using AFWall (Android Firewall) or go even further with  xPrivacy(restrict every single permission if you like, but more complicated)
I didn't know Hiby-Player until just yet and it has a few permissions to much for me, so that in case that i would use it, i would trim it down to the bare minimum needed :)
I mean what for should a music-player need constant network-access and the permission to redirect calls?
Just to name a few "kinda" unnecessary permissions, which i would most-likely block if i were to use the app :) :

1. reroute outgoing calls (for what? not beeing disturbed by incoming calls?)
  1. view Wi-Fi connections (umm updates maybe? or everything else)

1. read phone status and identity

1. full network access  (tbh it shouldn't be needed, as Play-Store handles updates?! But necessary for DLNA, got it.)
  2. view network connections (DLNA/Wifi-Check/Updates)
  3. modify system settings (Could be everything without looking into)
  4. send sticky broadcast (Most likely DLNA-Streams or everything else :) )

Cheers.

No I am not rooted, I have been trying to root my cellphone for sometime without success. I need to try harder, but having a Samsung cellphone and a Mac computer is a difficult combination. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5,983 of 9,526
I dont think the Macintosh should be the problem while rooting and nether should the SIII (maybe give the xda-developers forum a try?).
But back to topic, do you know if the app itself updates itself (pretty darn sure that sentence isn't exactly correct english x) or is it the playstore that automatically Updates the App?

Iam not complettly sure, but i think that the Play-Store only updates Applications that where installed over the Playstore, meaning if you get your hands on the .apk-File it shouldn't update it as it wasn't directly installed over the playstore(just a theory! But you might give it a try).

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #5,984 of 9,526
One or two people on here enquiring about USB to optical or SPDIF.

For optical I have found that the Behringer UCA202 is very good with Android devices provided that it has USB host mode. This will convert to optical ( not coaxial ) but up to 48kHz only. I cannot recall having an Android device with host mode which did not work with this. I have just tried it with a Moto G 2nd gen, Sony Xperia Z Ultra and a Samsung 10.1 Pro tablet and it works natively with these and also with an Android Minix mini PC. I also have a similar sound card made by Roland but this one requires USB Audio Player to work. The Behringer is available on Amazon UK at £22.30 atm so is a very economical way to convert to optical !
I have no personal knowledge of a USB to coaxial SPDIF converter which works with Android devices but I did come across such a converter on Amazon at a similar price to the Behringer so they do exist.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #5,985 of 9,526
Calyx PaT USB DAC/amp:
https://www.facebook.com/calyxaudio/photos/a.143677269008925.24916.125268120849840/839930149383630/?type=1&theater

music file > USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) running on a Korean Android phone >> USB OTG cable >> Calyx PaT >> headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back