Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 24, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,941 of 9,526
  Ok communicated with Hiby and the next version should have software support for changing sampling rate..

Wooooooooooooooot :)

Tried the new version of Hiby. v1.1.1. It worked great with iFi iDSD nano, but not with Geek Out 450. It detected the DAC (sort of), but refused to play any tracks. When I chose one it showed sampling rate, duration etc. but play or pause had no effect and sometimes I read "choose a track to play first", or something to that effect. I downgraded again to 1.0 and wait for a newer version.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #5,943 of 9,526
  Is it usefull to make use of an USB to SPDIF converter like the M2tech? SPDIF entry in most DAC's has better quality than USB most of the times I'm told. 

Then buy a better DAC.
biggrin.gif
  I'm assuming that you're thinking desktop DACs. One thing that an optical SPDIF (TOSLink) can do is prevent ground loops since there is no electrical connection. The USB connection in my Bifrost Uber USB DAC is first rate and it's not one of those mega overpriced DACs.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #5,944 of 9,526
H
  Then buy a better DAC.
biggrin.gif
  I'm assuming that you're thinking desktop DACs. One thing that an optical SPDIF (TOSLink) can do is prevent ground loops since there is no electrical connection. The USB connection in my Bifrost Uber USB DAC is first rate and it's not one of those mega overpriced DACs.

I indeed use a desktop DAC, a Zero DAC. The USB port of this DAC is of limited quality compared to the SPDIF port. I also consider the purchase of a Hypex as2.100 that has the same problem, hence my question. Your Bifrost Uber USB DAC might be good and not overpriced, but its more then three times the price of my Zero DAC.

Another finding, Hibymusic was advised as a good music player for an android device. So I tried it on my LG G3 (5.0 lollipop) but I'm disappointed: without connection I heard a lot of glitches in the sound. And when I connect the device to the DAC it even didn't work. It even made other music player disfunctioning with USB. When I deinstalled the app fortunately all went well again, but no Hiby for me any more.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #5,945 of 9,526
  H

I indeed use a desktop DAC, a Zero DAC. The USB port of this DAC is of limited quality compared to the SPDIF port. I also consider the purchase of a Hypex as2.100 that has the same problem, hence my question. Your Bifrost Uber USB DAC might be good and not overpriced, but its more then three times the price of my Zero DAC.

Another finding, Hibymusic was advised as a good music player for an android device. So I tried it on my LG G3 (5.0 lollipop) but I'm disappointed: without connection I heard a lot of glitches in the sound. And when I connect the device to the DAC it even didn't work. It even made other music player disfunctioning with USB. When I deinstalled the app fortunately all went well again, but no Hiby for me any more.

Schit just came out with a new DAC, the Modi 2 Uber. It has USB, Coax an optical inputs. The USB interface looks to be very comprehensive. It's like a mini Bifrost, the specs are very good.
The price is unbelievable, $150. Check it out.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #5,946 of 9,526
A gift for the next Christmas: Virtual Reality (VR) headset for music / video / ...

multi-channel audio-video file > VR audio-video player with virtual surround sound engine running on Android smartphone with 4K display slotted into a VR headset > PCM stream > USB audio out >> portable USB DAC/amp >> headphones

multi-channel audio-video file > VR audio-video player running on Android smartphone with 4K display slotted into a VR headset > multi-channel PCM stream > USB audio out >> portable USB DAC/amp with virtual surround sound engine >> headphones

A current VR headset: Samsung Gear VR
http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-gear-vr/

The Gear VR headset works in conjunction with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone.

A current smartphone to be slotted into a VR headset: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone with 2560*1440 (i.e. QHD) Super AMOLED display
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-vr-face

"Even with a fantastic Super AMOLED display at QHD resolution at your disposal, when you place it mere inches from your face, magnify it with lenses and split it in two to give the virtual reality effect, you quickly run out of pixels. Images were still grainy compared to viewing a phone or TV at a distance, of course, and that'll be a tad disappointing if you're expecting a higher resolution. That said, if you've used any lower-resolution virtual reality you're going to be in for a treat because you have that additional perspective."

A current VR music player: Oculus 360 Videos - Strangers with Patrick Watson
http://www.wired.com/2014/03/sxsw-live-day4/#79191019861

"I experienced an immersive music video set that makes you feel like you’re sitting in the middle of a musician’s apartment as he performs. Every time I turn around, I’m actually looking at the man’s dog, who is sitting “behind” me. It seemed so real that at one point I actually reached for my smartphone to take a picture — until I realized I couldn’t. (Yet.)"

A current VR movie player: Oculus Cinema
http://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-gear-vr-preview-oculus-cinema-watching-a-2-hour-movie/

"A virtual movie theater where movie trailers and even self-loaded [2D / 3D] videos can be seen. What's amazing here is the theater itself: you can pick a giant cinema, a screening room, or even the surface of the Moon. The expansive theater, and its seats illuminated by the movie screen, feels so real that it seems like it could be a movie theater replacement in the near future...if the actual video resolution seen in that virtual theater ever ends up approaching the "retina quality" of existing phones, tablets and TVs."

"The most jaw dropping moment was when the movie started and I really did feel that the screen was meters away, and many more meters in actual size. My eyes were genuinely tricked into believing the images on the virtual screen were on a real screen, and I think it was partly due to the perfect audio sync. This enclosed fusion of audio and visual delivery kept the illusion at a high level for a long while."

A current DAC/amp with virtual surround sound engine: Smyth Realiser A8
http://www.cnet.com/news/smyth-realiser-a8-perfect-surround-sound-over-headphones/

"After spending some quality time listening through his Smyth Research Realiser A8, I can testify to its effectiveness. With the Realiser A8, room-filling sound was produced by headphones!
When I heard the Realiser A8 do surround for the first time, I whipped the headphones off in disbelief. Wow! The sound wasn't coming out of the surround speakers! The Realiser A8's spatial localization is 100-percent convincing. The system comes with a set of very-high-quality Stax SR-202 electrostatic headphones and a Stax headphone amplifier, but you can use any headphone with the Realiser A8."

Virtual surround sound engine to be implemented in a VR audio-video player software or in a USB DAC/headphone amp:
http://www.smyth-research.com/licensing.html

"SVS is the name of the technology used in the Smyth Realiser.  All aspects of SVS are available for licensing."

There are other virtual surround sound technologies like Dolby Headphone, Silent Cinema, ....

USB multi-channel solution to be implemented in a USB DAC/amp with virtual surround sound engine:
http://www.xmos.com/products/reference-designs/multichannel

"The USB Multi-Channel Audio U16 Platform is a complete development hardware and reference software solution for multi-channel USB audio applications."

Oculus Mobile SDK available for VR audio-video player developers:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/12/oculus-mobile-sdk-goes-live-for-vr-developers/

"The SDK also contains the full source code for Oculus Cinema, Oculus 360 Photos and Oculus 360 Videos under an open software license, which represents the full suite of first-party apps available on the new mobile VR platform."

Android smartphone with 4K OLED display: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (?)
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-tipped-prepping-a-6-4K-AMOLED-display-with-700ppi-for-next-August-just-in-time-for-the-Note-5_id62541

"Rejoice, 4K lovers, as that's the resolution you might be getting with the next edition of Samsung's Galaxy Note series. We got tipped that Samsung will start mass-producing a 5.9" Ultra HD Super AMOLED display with 700+ppi next August, which puts manufacturing plans just in the timeframe for the Note 5 release, if everything goes according to traditions."

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,947 of 9,526
Apologies if its been reported before, but the iBasso D-Zero MK2 is working flawlessly with my UK spec Note 3. In fact UAPP is reporting that my 24-176 files are being played by the Dac at 196, which is an unexpected bonus not even reported by the manufacturer. 
The D-Zero really is a wonderful little thing, sounds very good with my Hifiman RE-400's. I have done brief comparisons with my rPAC and its so close, I wont be using the Arcam much at all now. 

For £91.50, anyone with an Android phone would be silly not to get one. 

Jim.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,948 of 9,526
Hi there, a special request here! :)

As far as i know (i've tested it) the Audioquest Dragonfly still doesnt work with the Xperia-Z and i would like to ask if you have any recommendation for an USB-DAC that will definetelly work with the Xperia-Z and the buildin Players (be it VLC/Walkman etc.. NOT UAPP!)

And is there such thing as an USB-DAC with buildin Mic(jack) so that you have the possibility to take calls and answer them without the need to take out the Smartphone out of your Pocket?

Anyways not really necessary, would be an little extra!
So in short: Not too expensive (max. 100-150$/€); Working ootb with the xperia-z, not too exotic meaning readily available in Europe meaning UK etc... etc.. and and this is just an "nice to have but not needed" builtin mic?

Cheers

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,951 of 9,526
  What is UAPP? Thanks.

USB Audio Player Pro  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,952 of 9,526
The "E5" doesn't look that portable, it actually looks probably larger than my phone :D and its more expensive than my Dragonfly :)
I need something smaller really in the size of the Dragonfly, it doesn't have to be rectangular, it can be square as an Fiio E05(Its just an AMP and no DAC iirc?)

But thank you anyways for the suggestion! :)

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #5,953 of 9,526
DanBa,here is the shot of the Note 3 > D Zero > Re-400 playing some 24 192 Linn Christmas songs (thanks again for the heads up).

I couldnt get Foobar to play then through my laptop, so my thought is that the Note 3 may be doing something, upscaling maybe, if it can do that?

I di some extended listening last night, hotswapping out the rPAC and the D Zero and I have made some interesting findings.

The D Zero is completely neutral, no single tones are emphasised or stand out, which does make it easier to follow the track, it feels smoother, i find myself tapping to the music more. The rPAC does something to the music, it makes you feel like your next to the musician, more air and space, soundstage, better placement of sounds. Buuuut, and it is a Niki Minage But, that doesnt mean to me that the rPAC is better, just dufferent. The rPAC sometimes has a tendancy to overpower, meaning i miss subtle sounds, so while the instruments sound more detailed, i miss other subtle things that are part of the emotion of the track. Blimey it really is hard to describe sound and our perception of what we hear!

Anyway thats enough rambling from me.
Screenshot_2014-12-27-01-21-25.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #5,954 of 9,526

Just downloaded this one and had a quick test run. It works well enough with iFi iDSD nano, but still no volume control from the phone (Samsung Galaxy SIII). The LHlabs Geek Out is not recognised at all by the phone with the newer version, which was the case with version 1.01. I will charge the SIII and try again later.

Try this one please:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/iax9eltz3cp9wc0/HibyMusic_v1.1.apk

Thanks!

Hello fanoble,

I downgraded to v.1.01 of Hiby, but it keeps automatically upgrading to 1.1.1. Can you advise on how I can stop this?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #5,955 of 9,526

Hello fanoble,

I downgraded to v.1.01 of Hiby, but it keeps automatically upgrading to 1.1.1. Can you advise on how I can stop this?

i would make sure auto update is turned off in google play store settings, that might be one way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back