Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 8, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #5,178 of 9,526
Google posts updated Android L Developer Preview images for Nexus 7 v2 Wi-Fi and Nexus 5: Is there a new version of the native USB Audio feature?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/07/google-posts-updated-android-l-preview-images-for-nexus-7-razor-and-nexus-5-hammerhead/

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #5,179 of 9,526
Anyone happen to know of a battery case that works with S3 and supports OTG?!  

EDIT - Nope nothing I can find anywhere... looks like best bet is to get a larger battery (anker for instance) with new back cover if you want more battery and still keep synch/OTG ability

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5,180 of 9,526
  Google posts updated Android L Developer Preview images for Nexus 7 v2 Wi-Fi and Nexus 5: Is there a new version of the native USB Audio feature?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/07/google-posts-updated-android-l-preview-images-for-nexus-7-razor-and-nexus-5-hammerhead/

i think ill load this up tonight just to see if it fixed my UCA222 usb audio issues

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5,181 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

Apparently Samsung messed up on the USB hardware, when a USB device draws above a certain level of current the S3 can self destruct, hence the powered Hub protects the S3. 

Wow, surprised to read that, as I thought the Galaxy S range was one of the better handsets for usb audio.  At least that was the impression from occasional visits to this thread.

Anyhow, If I bought the S3, I would definitely want to install a custom rom (such as CyanogenMod) to improve the phones everyday performance.  Would that change usb audio in any way?

The Stock Android drivers for the S3 are very good, the USB hardware has that danger and I was struck by that lightning bolt.. Each custom ROM is an adventure in its own right, so do your homework on USB audio and other bugs before taking the plunge. A good place to look for ROMs and rooting is xda-developers. I've moved onto the Note 3 and its USB audio implementation is very good, although I haven't, for fear of frying, tested the USB power thing. I use either a powered HUB or a Y cable that connects to a battery pack (Juice Pack) or USB wall wart. I found a Hub that should the wall wart become disconnected or lose power, the Hub will not default to grabbing power from the device (phone). The Hub I got also has a power switch, which also does not fall back to getting power from the phone.
This is the Hub that I got.
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B004OBZ088/

I haven't felt the need to root and ROM a phone or tablet in the last two years as I've bought good devices and the quality of Android has greatly improved since then. If you decide to root and ROM , learn about the process, tools and software bits before going that route. Learn before doing and do not brick your device. Some devices can hard brick as in say goodbye. Learn how to recover from a soft brick before going on.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #5,183 of 9,526
In case anyone is interested, it looks like there's a newer version of the Ravpower FileHub (RP-WD02) now that has a larger battery, ethernet connection, and DLNA support, and it's only $5 more than the previous version. Haven't used the new one, but the old one sure has been handy for increasing the effective storage capacity of my devices.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #5,185 of 9,526
  The Stock Android drivers for the S3 are very good, the USB hardware has that danger and I was struck by that lightning bolt.. Each custom ROM is an adventure in its own right, so do your homework on USB audio and other bugs before taking the plunge. A good place to look for ROMs and rooting is xda-developers. I've moved onto the Note 3 and its USB audio implementation is very good, although I haven't, for fear of frying, tested the USB power thing. I use either a powered HUB or a Y cable that connects to a battery pack (Juice Pack) or USB wall wart. I found a Hub that should the wall wart become disconnected or lose power, the Hub will not default to grabbing power from the device (phone). The Hub I got also has a power switch, which also does not fall back to getting power from the phone.
This is the Hub that I got.
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B004OBZ088/

I haven't felt the need to root and ROM a phone or tablet in the last two years as I've bought good devices and the quality of Android has greatly improved since then. If you decide to root and ROM , learn about the process, tools and software bits before going that route. Learn before doing and do not brick your device. Some devices can hard brick as in say goodbye. Learn how to recover from a soft brick before going on.

Thanks for the info!

Think I'll try the non AOSP version of Neatrom.  It's based on Samsung 4.3 stock and gives you the option of what Samsung bloat to install or not install.  Also assume that usb audio will also be the same as stock but if anyone can confirm this??????.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-neatromlite-themed-aroma-mods-t2060403

So a y-cable and juice pack is mandatory?  Or how about just using a higher capacity battery (such as Zerolemon)?

Here's a list of non AOSP 'stock' roms for anyone interested:

AllianceROM____________:: v1.0
Android Revolution HD____:: 40
ANDROM3D____________:: v5.0
ArchiDroid 1.X___________:: V1.7.3
Avengers-N3_____________:: V1
BlackBox_______________:: 1.4
ChaosLegacy____________:: v1.0
CHRONOS______________:: v1.5
Fantasy HD_____________:: v11.0.1
FoxHound_______________:: 2.7 / 0.1
GlamourS4/N3 for S3______:: 4
Glance S4_______________:: v2.5
GORGOID_______________:: v2.6
GORGOID 4.3____________:: v3.3
Imperium________________:: v13.6/21.1
MS Team HD_____________:: 12.1
NeatROM________________:: v4.8|v6.1 
Nightmare________________:: v3.1
OMEGA_________________:: v52|v50.1 
Pardus HD_______________:: 4.3|08-11-2013|
Purelook HD______________:: v8.0
S4 Revolution_____________:: v12™
Smart Phone Revolution____:: V6.1
Sotmax Ultimate Stock_____:: V19
UltimaROM_______________:: v15.1
WanamLite_______________:: V7.2
XperianZe________________:: 0.9.9
ZDroid___________________:: v2.3

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #5,186 of 9,526
  My US version S3 worked with USB audio using the stock ROM. I used it with a FiiO E18 and a Schiit USB Uber Bifrost. The Bifrost required a powered USB Hub or else one would risk destroying their phone. When I first hooked up my S3 to the Bifrost my S3 burned out. Luckily it was replaced under warranty. Apparently Samsung messed up on the USB hardware, when a USB device draws above a certain level of current the S3 can self destruct, hence the powered Hub protects the S3. My Apple iPod Touch 5G warns you on the screen about too much current being drawn without frying. The FiiO E18 doesn't draw power from the phone and does not endanger the S3. I'm not sure how the Non-USA version of the S3 behaves.

This happened to last year when I attempted to connect a uDAC-2 to my old VZW GSIII via an OTG cable. Samsung ended up replacing my phone as well. The peoples should be careful.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #5,187 of 9,526
I'm not sure if there's a Moto X list in this thread, but I have used mine with a HotAudio DAC Destroyer and an Aune T1 (Mk1) without issue. Dragonfly (v1.0) wouldn't work without the USB Audio Player app. I'm scared to use it with my uDac-2 lest the phone get burnt out like my old GSIII. 

Further specs - I have a VZW Dev Edition, if that matters. I am not running a stock kernel so I'm not sure if this is a result of my running faux123's kernel or if it's already baked in to the stock 4.4.x kernel.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #5,188 of 9,526

Thanks for the info!

Think I'll try the non AOSP version of Neatrom.  It's based on Samsung 4.3 stock and gives you the option of what Samsung bloat to install or not install.  Also assume that usb audio will also be the same as stock but if anyone can confirm this??????.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-neatromlite-themed-aroma-mods-t2060403

So a y-cable and juice pack is mandatory?  Or how about just using a higher capacity battery (such as Zerolemon)?

Here's a list of non AOSP 'stock' roms for anyone interested:

AllianceROM____________:: v1.0
Android Revolution HD____:: 40
ANDROM3D____________:: v5.0
ArchiDroid 1.X___________:: V1.7.3
Avengers-N3_____________:: V1
BlackBox_______________:: 1.4
ChaosLegacy____________:: v1.0
CHRONOS______________:: v1.5
Fantasy HD_____________:: v11.0.1
FoxHound_______________:: 2.7 / 0.1
GlamourS4/N3 for S3______:: 4
Glance S4_______________:: v2.5
GORGOID_______________:: v2.6
GORGOID 4.3____________:: v3.3
Imperium________________:: v13.6/21.1
MS Team HD_____________:: 12.1
NeatROM________________:: v4.8|v6.1 
Nightmare________________:: v3.1
OMEGA_________________:: v52|v50.1 
Pardus HD_______________:: 4.3|08-11-2013|
Purelook HD______________:: v8.0
S4 Revolution_____________:: v12™
Smart Phone Revolution____:: V6.1
Sotmax Ultimate Stock_____:: V19
UltimaROM_______________:: v15.1
WanamLite_______________:: V7.2
XperianZe________________:: 0.9.9
ZDroid___________________:: v2.3

Currently the S3 is on Kitkat, but mine worked with 4.3 stock as well.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,189 of 9,526

This happened to last year when I attempted to connect a uDAC-2 to my old VZW GSIII via an OTG cable. Samsung ended up replacing my phone as well. The peoples should be careful.

I was pissed off when my S3 suicided. Verizon overnighted me a replacement. I'm not ready to experiment on my Note 3, but that works fine with a powered Hub so I know that much.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #5,190 of 9,526
I was pissed off when my S3 suicided. Verizon overnighted me a replacement. I'm not ready to experiment on my Note 3, but that works fine with a powered Hub so I know that much.

Heh, you know, I figured, what the hell, and plugged my uDac2 without a powered hub into my Moto X a few minutes ago. Ended up working like a charm! So I do hope this is in fact just a Samsung design flaw. But people should still be careful, in general, not to try DACs that have a power hungry reputation on anything irreplaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back