Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #4,366 of 9,526
BubbleUPnP, a DLNA / UPnP streaming music player:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp

DLNA / UPnP:
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Introduction_To_DS_Concepts#Streaming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients

A UPnP media renderer / player, like the BubbleUPnP app, can stream music stored on a remote UPnP media server to the local storage of the Android device, play content and forward a PCM audio stream to the internal DAC or to an external USB DAC.

music files stored on DLNA / UPnP media server >> network >> BubbleUPnP media renderer / music player running on native USB audio-enabled Android device like Samsung Galaxy Note3 / S4 / Note2 / S3 >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4,367 of 9,526
  Yo,

In the past USB audio worked with my HRT Headstreamer, but now it doesn't. I use a Galaxy S3 on JB 4.3.1. The audio is mute and skips in 4-8 second intervals. The DAC works fine on my computer but not on the phone.

What changed between it working and not working?  I have experienced that mute and skipping 4-8 seconds behavior before on my Galaxy S3 (SGH-i747m).  It happened after I upgraded from Android 4.1.2 to 4.3 (all stock, non-rooted) while using an Audioengine D1 and PowerAmp & Samsung music players.  It used to work on 4.1.2 (assuming I powered the D1 with a USB OTG Y-cable with an external USB power pack) but 4.3 broke it.  BUT, it still works if I use UAPP.  On the flip side, 4.3 made my previously non-working Fiio E17 work on the S3 with PowerAmp so I'm more happy with that since the D1+S3+USB power pack isn't exactly a very portable rig.  

If you don't already have it, you can download the UAPP demo from the link in the Playstore to test if it works.  BTW, which carrier released 4.3.1 for the S3 in North America?  As far as I know, the newest official android is 4.3 for the SGH-i747.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,368 of 9,526

What changed between it working and not working?  I have experienced that mute and skipping 4-8 seconds behavior before on my Galaxy S3 (SGH-i747m).  It happened after I upgraded from Android 4.1.2 to 4.3 (all stock, non-rooted) while using an Audioengine D1 and PowerAmp & Samsung music players.  It used to work on 4.1.2 (assuming I powered the D1 with a USB OTG Y-cable with an external USB power pack) but 4.3 broke it.  BUT, it still works if I use UAPP.  On the flip side, 4.3 made my previously non-working Fiio E17 work on the S3 with PowerAmp so I'm more happy with that since the D1+S3+USB power pack isn't exactly a very portable rig.  

If you don't already have it, you can download the UAPP demo from the link in the Playstore to test if it works.  BTW, which carrier released 4.3.1 for the S3 in North America?  As far as I know, the newest official android is 4.3 for the SGH-i747.

Hi,

I had changed nothing, no new apps or mods of any sort, running all stock firmware.  I tried UAPP and it does not work at all with my S3. I still get skipping and no sound. I use Sprint and android is at 4.3, my model number is i9300.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #4,369 of 9,526
Thanks for reminding everyone about Bubble UPnP DanBa, huuuugggeee +1 from me on that (long time user).

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #4,370 of 9,526
A UPnP media renderer / player, like the BubbleUPnP app, can stream music stored on a remote UPnP media server to the local storage of the Android device, play content and forward a PCM audio stream to the internal DAC or external USB DAC

A word of warning here: note that in this scenario we are limited to Android audio limitations of 16/48, so playing hi-res files is useless in this case.

That is why we need so badly UAPP network streaming functionality! :)))

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4,371 of 9,526
A word of warning here: note that in this scenario we are limited to Android audio limitations of 16/48, so playing hi-res files is useless in this case.

That is why we need so badly UAPP network streaming functionality!
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

+1

Like I mentioned before.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4350#post_10369255

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,372 of 9,526
Hey guys, anyone know where I can buy a male to male, micro to mini USB, 6" or shorter (preferably with 90 degree connectors) OTG USB cable?

EDIT: JDSLabs has a perfect one.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,374 of 9,526
Mar 20, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #4,375 of 9,526
I've gotten a few questions here and over PM recently, and wanted to try to answer them: 

Quote:
A quick question relating to the FileHub Theogenes : can your smartphone access mobile network internet while also connected to FileHub wi-fi network ? I seem to recall that could be an issue with wi-fi storage and smartphones...

Supposedly, yes. That's actually the reason I went with this unit over other ones. I just tried it though, and it didn't work... But others haven't had any issues, so it's probably just me. Didn't put forth a ton of effort on it, so don't take my inability to get it going as indicative of an actual problem. 

@hoekeat asked if the FileHub can be accessed via samba from an application other than MobileFun, and it appears you can! On his recommendation, I checked out Solid Explorer, and (after monkeying around with it for a bit) got it to access the hard drive. I was able to browse the filesystem and play files, just like with the MobileFun app. (I believe you still need to use the MF app for changing some settings, however). Awesome idea, and it worked! Maybe somebody can find a way to use this to our advantage... Unfortunately, it still only plays one file at a time. Boo bears. 

@DanBa: I tried using MobileFun and Solid Explorer to open playlists from the hard drive, but no dice. I even tried to open them with apps other than USBPP, but I just got error messages. (Curiously, USBPP doesn't give an error message when trying to open a playlist, it just doesn't do anything). I tried it with 5 or 6 playlists and it was no-go on all of them. I should say that I never use playlists on my own, so I'm simply assuming the playlists work correctly. But I can't imagine why they wouldn't. 

Hope this helps somebody!

EDIT: And yes, it does work while charging. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #4,376 of 9,526
thanks @Theogenes for the update

to the question of accessing RavPower FileHub AND internet at the same time, the trick here is to set up the RavPower to work as a "router" and connect to another internet connection via WiFi. Then connect your device to RavPower directly, it will then route the internet connection from your existing WiFi hotspot through RavPower FileHub to your device.

The fact that UAPP + RavPower FileHub means i need to select each track one by one is a no go for me. After a bit of research, i find 2 potential solution if you are willing to limit to 44.1/16 and if your android device can work with your choice of DAC without UAPP. Neutron Player and XBMC both can play songs from a shared drive from a Windows PC without having extra things installed like DLNA or any other custom app.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,377 of 9,526
Ouch, learned an expensive lesson today re. importing to the UK. I ordered 3 usb OTG cables from Treeo using a link in DanBa's incredibly useful resource list:

http://store.treoo.com/main/nocturnal-audio-right-angle-mini-usb-to-right-angle-micro-usb-otg-interconnect-cable.html

Because of the high shipping costs on a single lead (approx. £16-17) compared to the low item cost (approx. £4 at time of purchase), I decided I may as well order 3 (either for spares or to sell on at cost price) as it made a negligible difference to the shipping costs. Total order cost £33, made up of £13 for cables and £20 for shipping.

Despite many years of importing goods from outwith the EU I'd always (incorrectly it seems) assumed that the value declared for customs purposes should be the price of the goods excluding shipping and that goods with such a low value would be exempt from VAT/ import duty. However, I got an invoice from the courier today asking for £26.50 in charges, made up of £11.50 VAT & a whopping £15 handling fee (cheers for that Amarex....). 

It seems that Treeo declared the full order value (65 Singapore dollars) for customs purposes and when I queried this with the courier they confirmed that shipping costs should indeed be included in the declared value. Seems it's a very common misconception although although I don't think any of the other places (and there have been many) I've imported from have ever added the shipping costs for customs purposes. End result £60 for 3 wee cables......eek. 

I should stress that I have no issues with Treeo and just wanted to make any of the EU/UK guys aware in case they had the same impression as I had.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,378 of 9,526
  thanks @Theogenes for the update

to the question of accessing RavPower FileHub AND internet at the same time, the trick here is to set up the RavPower to work as a "router" and connect to another internet connection via WiFi. Then connect your device to RavPower directly, it will then route the internet connection from your existing WiFi hotspot through RavPower FileHub to your device.

The fact that UAPP + RavPower FileHub means i need to select each track one by one is a no go for me. After a bit of research, i find 2 potential solution if you are willing to limit to 44.1/16 and if your android device can work with your choice of DAC without UAPP. Neutron Player and XBMC both can play songs from a shared drive from a Windows PC without having extra things installed like DLNA or any other custom app.

Thanks to Theogenes for taking the time to answer our questions as regards the FileHub.

I'm a bit mystified if you hoekeat are referring to using the FileHub as a router for an existing Wi-Fi broadband network, or as I had originally queried Theogenes ; will an Android phone allow itself to access it's own mobile internet (network providers' data connection) while connected by Wi-Fi to the FileHub (FileHub is NOT connected to a wider Wi-Fi network or hotspot).

Or or are you positing the following (nothing more than the phone plus RavPower) :

- enable wi-fi hotspot on phone
- connect RavPower to phones wi-fi hotspot, and set up RavPower as a router for the phones wi-fi hotspot
- connect phone to RavPower (to stream media from a connected hard drive)
- phone can also connect to it's own mobile data connection via the RavPower wi-fi

So the phone can broadcast it's data connection OUT via Wi-Fi and connect to the web by virtue of the fact it is connecting to the Ravpowers network (powered by the phones own network data) ?

If that is the case, how bad.

As for the one file at a time playback issue in USBAPP using the RavPower - I can't verify this at the minute but didn't iTunes used to allow a whole album be ripped as one continuous track ? Couldn't this be used a means to circumvent the one track at a time limitation...

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,379 of 9,526
  Ouch, learned an expensive lesson today re. importing to the UK. I ordered 3 usb OTG cables from Treeo using a link in DanBa's incredibly useful resource list:

http://store.treoo.com/main/nocturnal-audio-right-angle-mini-usb-to-right-angle-micro-usb-otg-interconnect-cable.html

Because of the high shipping costs on a single lead (approx. £16-17) compared to the low item cost (approx. £4 at time of purchase), I decided I may as well order 3 (either for spares or to sell on at cost price) as it made a negligible difference to the shipping costs. Total order cost £33, made up of £13 for cables and £20 for shipping.

Despite many years of importing goods from outwith the EU I'd always (incorrectly it seems) assumed that the value declared for customs purposes should be the price of the goods excluding shipping and that goods with such a low value would be exempt from VAT/ import duty. However, I got an invoice from the courier today asking for £26.50 in charges, made up of £11.50 VAT & a whopping £15 handling fee (cheers for that Amarex....). 

It seems that Treeo declared the full order value (65 Singapore dollars) for customs purposes and when I queried this with the courier they confirmed that shipping costs should indeed be included in the declared value. Seems it's a very common misconception although although I don't think any of the other places (and there have been many) I've imported from have ever added the shipping costs for customs purposes. End result £60 for 3 wee cables......eek. 

I should stress that I have no issues with Treeo and just wanted to make any of the EU/UK guys aware in case they had the same impression as I had.

Royal mail isn't it? When I used to live in the UK, I had the same problem. What pissed me off is the "handling fee" they charge. I sent a query on direct.gov and they advised me to tell the sender to mark the parcel with "Goods to be declared by the importer" or something like that. Most Asian sellers(ebay,aliexpress,etc) do get through this by marking it as a gift and misdeclaring the value. So no vat or handling fee is paid. 11.59gbp for VAT and 15gbp for handling is quite a lot! I thought VAT was like 12.5% + import duty, which was negligible at times. I used to pay Roya pigs/Parcelfarts 8gbp per parcel, regardless of the amount of the contents even if it's less than the handling fee itself. Bunch of pigs indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back