Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #4,159 of 9,526
Feb 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,161 of 9,526
Just because Google and the Android folk have not decided to support music lovers with proper digital outs (or decent hi-Rez DAC's) does not mean one has to suffer. The USB Audio Player folk have freed us from crappy sound. They opened the door, it is up to users to walk through it.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,162 of 9,526
  Hello everybody

galaxy S4 + OTG + HiFimeDIY Sabre

Is there´s any idea for simultaneous DAC + charging phone - I would be so grateful.
bigsmile_face.gif

May be it´s posible with an 100K Ohm resistor across the ID/Sense (pin / pin 4) and Ground (pin 5) ? Any experience?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2160#post_9367752

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,163 of 9,526
Okay guys, I have some pretty exciting news to share: it looks like there's a way to share external hard drives with an Android device and have the files stored on the hard drive play through USBPP and output to a USB DAC!!! I just got it working and wanted to share! (If someone has already done this before, then please excuse my excitement-- but this seems to me to be a method of getting access to vast quantities of music at high quality while on the go, and unless I've missed it this hasn't been accomplished yet). 

Current Setup: FLAC files on a WD 1TB external HD >>[standard USB]>> Ravpower FileHub >>[WiFi connection]>> Nexus 7 Tablet (USBPP & MobileFun) >>[micro-to-mini USB OTG cable]>> iBasso D-Zero DAC/amp >> ASG-2 IEMs

Basically, the Ravpower FileHub allows you to plug an external hard drive into its USB port and it will both power the drive and read its contents. The MobileFun app then allows you to access any files that are stored on the hard drive wirelessly-- which is critical for our purposes, as the USB port will be used by your DAC. At that point, after you've set up and connected the Ravpower (which takes a few minutes and isn't dead-stupid simple, but isn't super difficult), you can browse the files on the hard drive, select USBPP as the default application, and (assuming you've already plugged in and connected your USB DAC), you can play the files stored on the hard drive through your external USB DAC. 

As I'm a bit excited and somewhat scatterbrained at the moment, I'm going to try to break everything down into steps to make it easier: 

Things You'll Need
Android device compatible with USBPP
Ravpower FileHub (Amazon link)
External USB hard drive (and USB cable to connect to FileHub; I'm using a WD 1TB external HD [model WDBABM0010BBK-00], although I believe you could use any number of USB hard drives, not just this model)
External USBPP-compatible DAC
USB OTG cable for connecting DAC to Android device
USB Player Pro Android App (Play Store)
MobileFun Android App (Ravpower Site)

Steps
Download and install USBPP on your Android device
-Connect it to your USB DAC and ensure it can play local files from your device
Download and install MobileFun on your Android device
-Connect your FileHub to your Android device via WiFi (there is a manual that comes with the FileHub that walks you through most of it)
-Complete the setup process and make sure you're able to browse files stored on your hard drive via the MobileFun app
Open up the files you want to play in MobileFun, choose "USB Player Pro" as the media player you want to use, and voila!

We now have the ability to use our Android devices as media renderers and sources for terabytes of externally-stored high-resolution music while on the go, and can listen to music via pretty much any damn DAC or amp we want!!! 

Again, please excuse my excitement and the disorganized nature of my post-- I've just been wanting to try this for almost a month, finally got a chance to do so, and am just STOKED that it's working!! 

I'm going to cross-post this in the USBPP thread as well. Looking forward to seeing how it works for others!!!!  

beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4,164 of 9,526
 Originally posted by Wigwamclan : Can anyone point me towards an inexpensive mini-micro-standard OTG Y cable?

I picked one up on ebay ( UK ) from here :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300976195373?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It took quite a while coming from Hongkong, but I've just tried it with a 320gb portable external drive attached to my tablet and it works fine. Only cost £1.35 including postage !

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #4,165 of 9,526
Hello, i bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400548410241&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and i connect it my Fiio e7 (in order) then to the galaxy note 2, and when i try to listen to music, the sound come out from the phone speaker.

Why ?
It is the good cable ?

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4,166 of 9,526
  Hello, i bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400548410241&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and i connect it my Fiio e7 (in order) then to the galaxy note 2, and when i try to listen to music, the sound come out from the phone speaker.

Why ?
It is the good cable ?

It doesn't seems to be a USB OTG cable. You will need a OTG cable not just a standard USB cable.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #4,168 of 9,526
You can certainly use it as a chain but if you want to use the DAC and Amp separately/independently you might not be able to. Something you should contact JDS about and word that very carefully. If you want to use it as a chain then you're in business as that's the common use.
Thanks a lot. Relief to know that it works both dac and amp on my galaxy s3. Since people say galaxy s3 has to be rooted or something like that to enable usb audio. Now things have been clear, I guess they enabled it in the jellybean update.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #4,169 of 9,526
Okay guys, I have some pretty exciting news to share: it looks like there's a way to share external hard drives with an Android device and have the files stored on the hard drive play through USBPP and output to a USB DAC!!! I just got it working and wanted to share! (If someone has already done this before, then please excuse my excitement-- but this seems to me to be a method of getting access to vast quantities of music at high quality while on the go, and unless I've missed it this hasn't been accomplished yet). 

Current Setup: FLAC files on a WD 1TB external HD >>[standard USB]>> Ravpower FileHub >>[WiFi connection]>> Nexus 7 Tablet (USBPP & MobileFun) >>[micro-to-mini USB OTG cable]>> iBasso D-Zero DAC/amp >> ASG-2 IEMs
:beerchug:  

You can also use a portable USB hub and a USB memory stick. I tested this today with an old 2-port hub, Dragonfly, and a 16GB Kingston stick. I tested the power consumption during 7 hours, at home and on a cartrip, and found that it consumes about 250-300mAh (overall power consumption with screen mostly off and no SIM - only WiFi when at home. A larger USB stick might consume more. Whether you can live with this power consumption is dependent on your battery size and how long you want to listen without a need to charge.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,170 of 9,526

Thanks!

I've been trying to get the app's dev to confirm this; are you sure? I was hoping that I could dongle a usb dac off my new Nexus 5 while streaming a TB of flacs off of one of the new wireless hard drives like the Seagate.

I was wrong!
I only knew UPnP/DLNA streaming and proprietary streaming services like Spotify or Google Play Music.

RavPower Wi-Fi disk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back