Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #3,676 of 9,526

Moto G and Moto X already have native USB Audio support, it's been verified here.  That's the frustrating thing, they are so close to pure Google and yet pure Google doesn't/won't provide the native support.  Kondik figured it out, Google's own company Motorola figured it out, so why not Google?  SMH

Haven't followed the whole thread so sorry if it's been answered, but if that's the case, why does a device like the AQ Dragonfly not work natively with the Moto X? I'm assuming it has something to do with the DAC itself because several other DACs work perfectly fine with the Moto X. I've tested the Headamp Pico and the Apogee Mini-DAC, both work perfectly with the X.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #3,678 of 9,526
I've got a few DAC/amps, the audio quest Dragonfly doesn't work with stock android on the Samsung s3 but does with USB recorder pro, I've got a ud110 on the way which as far as I've told the version 2  is fully s3 compatible, will confirm.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #3,679 of 9,526
  I think this is known, but I have a Nexus 7(2013) wifi. Just put the 4.4.2 software on it. When I take my USB OTG stack (ODAC amp) which works on my Note 2, and plug it into the Nexus, it don't work, nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Odds are CM11 will get there ahead of the, not holding my breath on the official ROMs.

Excuse me Toe Tag, English is not my Mother Language
frown.gif

From what I understood, You have the Wifi version, so I will buy THAT VERSION. ok. thats fine.
Later you stated "Just put the 4.4.2 software on it"...
MY QUESTION IS: SHOULD I INSTALL THE 4.4.2 SOFTWARE AND THEN THE CM NIGHTLY 2013/12/12 ?
confused.gif
OR ONLY THE CM? from what is my understanding, the N7 ships here with Android 4.3. OR IS THE NIGHTLY YOU USED ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH 4.4.2?

FYI: My sole Intention is to use the N7 with my USB Dac (Behringer UCA202) in my Caraudio System, and your previous Statement of having your N7 working in USB Audio mode after installing the above mentioned Nightly inspired my Curiosity...and Desire
wink.gif
of buying the same Tablet.
Oh boy, I should NOT surf Foreign language Websites...but then again, I'm learning so much with it!

Again, sorry for any trouble
Sincerely
Daniel

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3,680 of 9,526
@rdlhifi I can say this right away, there seems to be some confusion. You either use stock Android from Google (4.4.2) OR you root your device and start installing CyanogenMod "CM11" firmwares. It was not my post that mentioned CM11, I have not done that yet. (I say "start installing" because there is a new CM11 nightly. It has not yet reached "stable" or "release" quality (by their own internal standards). But for many, they feel its stable enough, and once you get good at it, its gets easier and easier to update your CM daily or weekly.)

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,681 of 9,526
Since the CM11 implementation of USB audio now seems to be reliable and consistent, maybe the list maintained by DanBa should include a section like "USB DACs 100% working on Nexus devices with CM11" until such time as Google get their **** together on this and add support to base Android? This way, any DACs not working with a known-good CM11 build on a known-good Nexus devices could themselves be deemed non-standard, perhaps requiring additional drivers or whatever. This would also be helpful for guesstimating which DACs would be more likely to work with non-Nexus, non-CM devices.

Bear in mind there's another element to it as well -- does the stock Nexus 7 support basic USB peripherals (try a mouse)? If it does, the next thing to try is a memory stick or SD card reader with StickMount or Nexus Media Importer. It may be that on some devices CyanogenMod is doing more than just adding audio device support -- it may be fixing a broken or half assed USB OTG implementation too.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3,685 of 9,526
  Since the CM11 implementation of USB audio now seems to be reliable and consistent, maybe the list maintained by DanBa should include a section like "USB DACs 100% working on Nexus devices with CM11" until such time as Google get their **** together on this and add support to base Android? This way, any DACs not working with a known-good CM11 build on a known-good Nexus devices could themselves be deemed non-standard, perhaps requiring additional drivers or whatever. This would also be helpful for guesstimating which DACs would be more likely to work with non-Nexus, non-CM devices.

I heartily encourage you or someone to create a list of USB DAC supported by CyanogenMod.
I will restrict myself to stock flagship smartphones: most people used to use stock devices, and Samsung’s flagship smartphones are most popular at the moment.
And I personnally avoid using devices like Nexus devices that don’t have an external memory card slot to store my preferred music so that it can be accessible anywhere, anytime.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,686 of 9,526
  ...It was not my post that mentioned CM11, I have not done that yet. (I say "start installing" because there is a new CM11 nightly. ...

Ok, sorry again.

Quote:

I heartily encourage you or someone to create a list of USB DAC supported by CyanogenMod...

I will restrict myself to stock flagship smartphones: most people used to use stock devices...

First off, I'm really gratefull DanBa to provide Us Your List of compatible USB-Dac's!
beyersmile.png
In fact, i dived in USB Audioland from there on, and enjoy my Music Collection even more since then!
Secondly, a list with CM supported USB Dacs would be really Interesting (and usefull) to all serious Music Aficionados...Hope someone consider to step in...

Lastly: DanBa, please continue to Update Your Stock Devices/ Dacs Support List! Thank You again
cheers
Daniel

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3,688 of 9,526
Could you guys summarize a bit everything said in this post for newbies (maybe on the first post?).
I received my new android smartphone (Wiki Cink Peax 2), running on android 4.1.2. I also have a little dot DAC, and would like to use the phone as DAP (maybe with a fiio dac/amp).
I am reading pages and pages of this topic for hours now and still didn't find answers to my questions :p
Maybe someone can help me out:
-is USB audio recorder PRO a must for some smartphones? Are there some newer android versions that can be used as DAP where you only need to plug the USB cable with every music app you want and some olders versions needing USB audio recorder PRO. (I would try, but the app costs 5€ and I don't want to waste money!)
-With the right android/dac, are there any configurations needed or do it just work like that?
-Is it sometimes worth upgrading rom? Can you give some example of android versions working, not working, working semi-well etc? 
Thanks!

EDIT: So in my case, android don't work with DAC when I plug it in. How can I know what to do? Other DAC? Other rom? Other OTG cable? Other android app?

EDIT 2: Wiki Cink Peax 2 working as DAP with USB audio recorder PRO and .flac file!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,689 of 9,526
Hey everyone, 

Just thought I would let you know that I am running my ODAC out of my HTC One playing FLAC files and everything appears pretty sweet. I'm using Poweramp and some PSB M4U2s. 4.3 is installed on this device as well, it's all just stock. 

In fact it's a bit too sweet, I am genuinely gobsmacked at the sound quality coming out of this set up. If ten years ago someone had told me you could get portable(ish) sound of this quality.... out of a phone.... I would have laughed in their face.

I just set this up to see what it would sound like and if everything worked properly so I don't have an all in one cable or anything, so there's wires everywhere but after this listening test I am considering going down that road. 

I think we're pretty lucky to be living in this day and age :). I seem to find myself thinking that every day lately.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3,690 of 9,526

Hi DanielP

Can I please ask you what version of the Nexus 7 (2013) you own? (the wifi only or the 4g?)
Reason I ask is because there are 2 versions of the rom available for download
confused.gif
, and was considering buying the new Nexus 7 for Caraudio duties, using the USB Audio out with a Behringer UCA202.
Thank You very much in advance
Daniel

Hey.  This was with a Wi-Fi only model.  

Just to reiterate (and to dot my i's); stock software for the 2013 Nexus 7 does not currently support USB audio.  To get this feature, on this device - unofficial, unsupported, software (Cyanogenmod 11, as of nightly 20131212) is necessary.  

Good luck with your car setup, that sounds like it'd be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back