Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #3,691 of 9,526

I heartily encourage you or someone to create a list of USB DAC supported by CyanogenMod.
I will restrict myself to stock flagship smartphones: most people used to use stock devices, and Samsung’s flagship smartphones are most popular at the moment.
And I personnally avoid using devices like Nexus devices that don’t have an external memory card slot to store my preferred music so that it can be accessible anywhere, anytime.

I actually think there shouldn't be a list of DAC's supported by CM, simply because putting CM on your phone involves unlocking bootloader and what not, and IMHO, if someone comes here trying to find out if their phone (or a phone) will work with their USB DAC, but not stock ,they should ask, learn and research before doing something like unlocking the bootloader and rooting, including plenty of reading on XDA.

I think DanBa's list as is is great and well-appreciated, except, as I've mentioned before, the suggestion that I think the list should take into account different versions of phones.  It's not enough to simply say "stock Note 2" supports something because there are different versions of "stock Note 2", some with different CPUs, and depending on which version you have, you may not have the functionality the list says you should if you have "stock Note 2."

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,692 of 9,526
Each compliant USB DAC has a link to the source of reporting information.
If the source text doesn’t mention the version of the O.S. of the Android device, it (as well as other information) could be asked by interested people.
Hopefully, people, who report the interworking, will include a maximum of information.

Usually, if an Android device is mentioned working with a USB DAC, this Android device running on the latest version of O.S. should work with this USB DAC due to upward compatibility practices.

Concerning different behaviors of Android device having different System on Chip (SoC), as far as I know there is only "one" case: the Galaxy S3 / Note2 with Snapdragon have apparently some interworking issue with the FiiO E07K. So, "to be confirmed" is added.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,693 of 9,526
USB Audio Player PRO (test version with cover art, playlists) is working on my setup (Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> ODAC >> Neco V3 amp >> Mad Dog headphones).

Same great sound quality than USB Audio Recorder PRO, i.e. the best sound quality music player to my ears for the time being!

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #3,696 of 9,526
eXtream will surely give us some news about that.

Native USB audio & eXtream USB audio:

I am wondering if the great sound quality of USB Audio Recorder PRO / USB Audio Player PRO is due to the "source direct" architecture like the audiophile Audirvana music player for Mac OS X.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/players/4.html
http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_OSX-Integermode.html

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,697 of 9,526

Hey.  This was with a Wi-Fi only model.  

Just to reiterate (and to dot my i's); stock software for the 2013 Nexus 7 does not currently support USB audio.  To get this feature, on this device - unofficial, unsupported, software (Cyanogenmod 11, as of nightly 20131212) is necessary.  

Good luck with your car setup, that sounds like it'd be awesome!

Thanks for the promt Reply
wink.gif

Sadly, I keep reading endless Posts about Owners complaining for Touchscreen and Gps Issues in the Nexus 7 (2013)
frown.gif
AND I WAS SO EXCITED TO FIND IT ON SALE IN MY COUNTRY!
Guess I've to change Brand and/or Model?

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #3,699 of 9,526

I really hope to release it just before Christmas, but it's going to be a close call.

Davy,

It will be a great Christmas gift (Well a purchase)

Please take our money
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the great work.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,700 of 9,526
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,701 of 9,526
Re: The Motorola Moto G.

There has been a bit of discussion on here about the Moto G working with Dacs ( or not ).

I've just bought one ( my 1st smartphone ) and I have tried it with an Audinst HUD-MX2 which it does not work with.  I have a Stereolink USB dac which it works with in a fashion but there is something wrong in that it sounds as if it's being played ever so slightly slow ( bit like the old pitch controls on some cassette players/recorders being reduced   - if you remember them ! ) and there are regular jumps in the sound as if it's suddenly realised it needs to catch up so it just misses out a bit of the stream ! -  Not really listenable to, in my opinion.

I also have a couple of USB sound card/adapters - a Behringer UCA202 and an Edirol UA-1EX and it does exactly the same with those as with the Stereolink, so in my experience it does not work satisfactorily with dacs.

I understand we should get updated to 4.4 ( Kitkat ? ) next month so I will try again after that to see if it makes any difference.

Apart from that, it appears to be a very good phone for the money. The audio out of the 3.5mm jack is not bad either although not quite up to the sound from my Samsung tablet.

Don't forget, though, that it does not have a micro SD card slot although I can confirm that it will work with a 32gb USB drive connected with a OTG adapter.

Hope that helps anyone pondering on a possible purchase.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,703 of 9,526
Dec 21, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #3,705 of 9,526

Apparently the best compatibility USB Audio stack is the USB Audio of USB Audio Recorder PRO (UARP) / upcoming USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP).
The UARP app is available on Google Play store.
UARP / UAPP can run on stock Android device with USB host feature enabled (i.e. on a lot of stock Android devices).
And last but not least, UARP is the best sounded music player on my setup (Galaxy Note 3 - ODAC - Neco V3 amp - Mad Dog headphones) to my ears.

Apparently, the second best compatibility USB Audio stack is the one of Android 4.3. running on Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3645#post_10058871

Quote:
  I've got an update for the Telus Galaxy S3 (SGH-i747m).  The official android 4.3 update was just released today (build JSS15J.I747MLVUEMK5) and it has flipped around the working DACs I have.

Android 4.1.2 (stock unrooted)
Audioengine D1: works with PowerAmp and Samsung music player
Fiio E17: does NOT work with PowerAmp and Samsung music player
UARP works with both DACs

Android 4.3 (stock unrooted)
Audioengine D1: does NOT work with PowerAmp and Samsung music player
Fiio E17: works with PowerAmp and Samsung music player (limited to 16bit/44kHz)
UARP works with both DACs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back