Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,646 of 9,526
It is not Bifrost that must support USB OTG, it's the phone! For the DAC, it makes no difference what the source is. BUT! There is a very high probability that Bifrost would only work with UARP/UAPP, as it is a USB Audio Class 2 device, which is not supported even by phones, natively supporting USB audio out, like S3.

Both the phone, and the DAC, both need the right hardware, and the right software, for USB OTG audio to work. If you are saying "The right phones will drive every DAC" I cannot agree. First of all some phones require UARP (such phones have the right hardware, but their manufacturer did not ship an Android software in them with proper drivers). And second some phones, even with UARP, there are all too many DACs they will not drive. 

That said I am glad to hear your optimistic assessment of the Bifrost. Though I am still searching for any post that confirms Schiit working with USB OTG. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,647 of 9,526

It will play MP3s and such, which is the whole point of a Player app instead of a recorder app.  More of his replies can be found on page 237 of this thread.

True, I can currently play a whole mp3 album (gapless). I estimate there is still about 10 working days of work left.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #3,648 of 9,526
  This is the Schiit. Bifrost Uber. http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM

They state:
  1. USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant
 Have high-res music? No problem. Bifrost offers a full range of inputs: Coaxial and optical SPDIF, as well as USB. Bifrost's USB features a high-speed Gen 2 USB 2.0 interface and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176. No drivers are required for Macs and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

But I am not sure it supports USB OTG out of an Android phone. Anyone?

I can confirm it does,

Galaxy Note 3 >> USB OTG cable >> Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC >> Schiit Valhalla amp >> HD600

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #3,650 of 9,526
Hi Everyone, 

Firstly I wanted to say that this really is a fantastic thread, very good information. I have a couple of questions and would be grateful if someone could help. I am picking up a Galaxy Note 3 tomorrow, but unfortunately I don't think my Arcam rPAC will work (not even with USB Audio Recorder PRO and a hub), so I am in need of a portable DAC to drive my new IEM's. I can see on the list that someone got the Fiio E07k working, but there are a lot of conflicting reports. 

I would like a Microstreamer, as I know it works with the Note 3, but is there something else that would be slightly cheaper than that, I was going to try a HifimeDIY Android Sabre DAC, but the shipping is preventing me, as I am in the UK (and want to receive before Christmas) 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative? Has anyone got the original Fiio E7, how does that compare to the newer Fiio E07K, or the Microstreamer.  The Fiio E18 looks good but again no stockist in the UK has it until January. 

The IEM's will probably be the RE-400's, but could be Super.fi 5's as they are only £32 in the UK at the moment. 

Any help would be most appreciated. 
Jim.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #3,651 of 9,526
Bigjim, have you considered Leckerton?
What is your price range?

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,652 of 9,526
Bigjim, have you considered Leckerton?
What is your price range?

I have had a look at those products, but not considered them before. I have around £170 to spend, the Microstreamer seems to be very popular, however I will be getting the Snapdragon Note 3, so I think that may work with the E07K, which is £70, as this rig is going to be portable I am sure background noise will probably negate the need to get something pricier?

I have a Fiio E6, so perhaps the HifimeDIY Android DAC would pair well with that? I received an email to say that I could have it shipped in 5-10 days and its only £20. I hate making purchasing decisions.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,653 of 9,526
Bigjim, you might also consider the ODAC.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,654 of 9,526

True, I can currently play a whole mp3 album (gapless). I estimate there is still about 10 working days of work left.

Looking forward to this...........good stuff!

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #3,655 of 9,526
Hi Everyone, 

Firstly I wanted to say that this really is a fantastic thread, very good information. I have a couple of questions and would be grateful if someone could help. I am picking up a Galaxy Note 3 tomorrow, but unfortunately I don't think my Arcam rPAC will work (not even with USB Audio Recorder PRO and a hub), so I am in need of a portable DAC to drive my new IEM's. I can see on the list that someone got the Fiio E07k working, but there are a lot of conflicting reports. 

I would like a Microstreamer, as I know it works with the Note 3, but is there something else that would be slightly cheaper than that, I was going to try a HifimeDIY Android Sabre DAC, but the shipping is preventing me, as I am in the UK (and want to receive before Christmas) 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative? Has anyone got the original Fiio E7, how does that compare to the newer Fiio E07K, or the Microstreamer.  The Fiio E18 looks good but again no stockist in the UK has it until January. 

The IEM's will probably be the RE-400's, but could be Super.fi 5's as they are only £32 in the UK at the moment. 

Any help would be most appreciated. 
Jim.

If you are going to use IEMs, why not try the internal Note 3 DAC/amp and see how it performs first? It might sound good enough, it is worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #3,656 of 9,526
Stoner Acoustics UD110v2 & Android USB audio
http://www.inearmatters.net/2013/10/impression-stoner-acoustics-ud110-tiny.html
https://www.facebook.com/StonerAcoustics

"Good news to all of the first batch UD110 owners, we are now providing free upgrade from UD110 to UD110v2 FOC.
The UD110v2 is now work on android devices that support USB Audio Class 1.0 and comes with transparent heatshrink."

Galaxy Note 3 >> USB OTG adapter cable >> UD110v2 >> headphones

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #3,657 of 9,526
Apex Glacier working with the ZX1, all rates.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #3,658 of 9,526
A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with standard USB DAC:
stock Android device > digital USB audio out >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/BOnMDQ

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3:
stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/2fPYtk

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note2:
stock Galaxy Note2 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/4Nq4Y8

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samung Galaxy S4:
stock Samsung Galaxy S4 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/dIwrqp

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note3:
stock Samsung Galaxy Note3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/7Bvkhz

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly non-interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO:
stock Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
None, for the time being, with the latest versions of USB Audio Recorder PRO as far as I know.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3,659 of 9,526
Both the phone, and the DAC, both need the right hardware, and the right software, for USB OTG audio to work. If you are saying "The right phones will drive every DAC" I cannot agree. First of all some phones require UARP (such phones have the right hardware, but their manufacturer did not ship an Android software in them with proper drivers). And second some phones, even with UARP, there are all too many DACs they will not drive. 

That said I am glad to hear your optimistic assessment of the Bifrost. Though I am still searching for any post that confirms Schiit working with USB OTG. 

Nope, not quite. :) The DAC does not need to have anything special to be driven by an Android phone neither in its hardware, nor in its software. On the contrary, if a DAC is fully compliant with USB Audio Class specs, and is driverless for PC, it SHOULD be driven by ANY android phone that is capable of USB Audio.

However!!! Unfortunately, because Android phones, UNLIKE standard USB Audio Class devices (DACs), are all over the place in terms of their specs, the ability to provide current to its OTG port, implementation of USB audio by vendor, etc., there is NO WAY to tell in advance, if a given phone will drive a given DAC. But NOT because the DAC has to have special compliance with USB OTG, Anrdroid or anything, but ONLY BECAUSE of the phone itself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back