Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #8,701 of 9,526
I know most people probably won't cross-shop these two, but has anyone compared the Dragonfly Red to the iFi idac2?

I am swapping my iFi idsd micro for the Dragonfly Red, but I'm debating whether I should get the idac2 instead.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #8,702 of 9,526
I know most people probably won't cross-shop these two, but has anyone compared the Dragonfly Red to the iFi idac2?

I am swapping my iFi idsd micro for the Dragonfly Red, but I'm debating whether I should get the idac2 instead.

Why DFR?

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #8,704 of 9,526
I currently use the Encore mDSD.

It really is about what you're looking for from a DAC.

My DAC beats the DFR in bit depth, sampling rate, cost and DSD playback. It loses in output impedance (it has a higher output impedance than the DFR), battery drain and size. (DFR is smaller than the mDSD, but the mDSD is not big at all.)

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #8,705 of 9,526
I currently use the Encore mDSD.

It really is about what you're looking for from a DAC.

My DAC beats the DFR in bit depth, sampling rate, cost and DSD playback. It loses in output impedance (it has a higher output impedance than the DFR), battery drain and size. (DFR is smaller than the mDSD, but the mDSD is not big at all.)

Thanks for the information.

Is the mDSD more powerful than the DFR?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #8,706 of 9,526
You mean on the amp side? You'd have to check out a comparison / review.

The extra draw on the mDSD is from the XMOS controller, which gives you 32/384 instead of 24/96, but it doesn't really tell you about relative amp power between the two devices.

But native DSD is a beautiful thing. Michael Jackson - Thriller SACD is a beautiful thing when played in native DSD.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8,707 of 9,526
You mean on the amp side? You'd have to check out a comparison / review.

The extra draw on the mDSD is from the XMOS controller, which gives you 32/384 instead of 24/96, but it doesn't really tell you about relative amp power between the two devices.

But native DSD is a beautiful thing. Michael Jackson - Thriller SACD is a beautiful thing when played in native DSD.

As of now, I don't believe I can hear a clear difference past 16/44.1 files, so I'm okay without getting 32/384. Maybe once I can get ahold of more "hi-def" music, I can make a better assessment. 

In any event, it looks like the mDSD is a better dac than the DFB, but I need the extra juice from the Red. All my headphones are full-size, and my ZMF Ori needs the extra power.

Thanks for sharing this information, however. I'll keep it in mind if I need another portable DAC.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8,708 of 9,526
Try listening to a SACD version and a HD FLAC version of the same album. Another reason to go DSD is that the masters for SACD are usually of better quality, if not the same quality as the PCM / FLAC masters.

This only helps if you're into the music that made it onto SACD, which is quite limited.

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #8,709 of 9,526
Buying a S7 and chord mojo, is there anyway to charge the Samsung S7 while using the Mojo via usb otg cable? Like some sort of way to split the samsung port to enable charging and to connect to the mojo. I've been looking around the net for solutions but can't seem to find anything. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8,710 of 9,526
Buying a S7 and chord mojo, is there anyway to charge the Samsung S7 while using the Mojo via usb otg cable? Like some sort of way to split the samsung port to enable charging and to connect to the mojo. I've been looking around the net for solutions but can't seem to find anything. 

Not sure if it's possible, but I'd be afraid of the phone running too hot and shutting down if you charged it while running otg out to the Mojo.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #8,711 of 9,526

You could try using a wireless charger. I can do that on my S6.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #8,713 of 9,526
I don't have a Mojo. It works with the Dragonfly Red, but I rarely listen using this setup. I was just offering a possible solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back