Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #8,686 of 9,526
LG's implementation might be finicky.

I predict everyone who has an LG and a DAC will run and find their nearest powered USB hub and then retry the connection.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,687 of 9,526
Did you know about the power draw before you bought the DAC?

That's the good ol' hub trick that I used to do on my iPhone with the Gen 1 CCK.

Saw the trick from on a forum 2 years ago using his Ipad with the same USB DAC. So I tested mine with a powered hub and it worked.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #8,688 of 9,526
Thank you for this information. I bricked my G5 last night trying to Root it, but it's back up and running. If this device works with your components, then I will try it out and not mess with the G5. It was a hassle trying to get it back up and running and only discovered at the last moment that some of the softare I installed was outdated which prevented me from installing an image to the phone. I never had this kind of madness when my Nexus 5 was my daily driver.

It appears that USB Host Mode was disabled when I installed a utility app, and to attempt to fix the issue, requires root access to the phone.

(note to self, get a Pixel phone next time)

Thanks again!!

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #8,689 of 9,526
Link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FMultiport-MOKiN-Delivery-Chromebook-Devices%2Fdp%2FB01IUXA9YK%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1486073471%26sr%3D8-2%26keywords%3DUsb-c%2Botg%2Bmhl%2Bhdmi

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #8,691 of 9,526
Thank you for this information. I bricked my G5 last night trying to Root it, but it's back up and running. If this device works with your components, then I will try it out and not mess with the G5. It was a hassle trying to get it back up and running and only discovered at the last moment that some of the softare I installed was outdated which prevented me from installing an image to the phone. I never had this kind of madness when my Nexus 5 was my daily driver.

It appears that USB Host Mode was disabled when I installed a utility app, and to attempt to fix the issue, requires root access to the phone.

(note to self, get a Pixel phone next time)

Thanks again!!

Pixel doesn't work with Hiby and USB DAC atm, UAPP works ok.

Nexus 6P, 5X would probably be better.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #8,692 of 9,526
The Adapter arrived today, but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I spent the day trying root the G5 but I got as far as unlocking the Bootloader. Something screwy is going on where I cannot install any images to the phone other than one that was dated around the time Nougat was made available for the G5.

So messing around with the DAC and a new pair of Sennheiser HD600s, I tried combination of settings and configs getting the DAC to turn on via the phone. The G5 just doesn't have the juice, or there is something that is being locked out which prevents me from powering on the E2, and possibly unless I root the device, I may configure a file to trigger USB Host Mode.

BUT....here is how I got the DAC to work. I had to pretty much "jump start" it by taking a second USB cable and connecting it between my power adapter, and the USB adapter itself. The DAC turned on and I was able to use UAPP to play music through the DAC. UAPP can give the headphones some extra volume, but the phone alone cannot. This was similar to what I found when I had the DAC connected to my Nexus 5.

So that is great and all, but if I'm at an Airport, I will need to find a power source to jump start the DAC or I'm SOL regarding its use. I can disconnect the power source and the DAC will stay on. I tried to power up the DAC using my Nexus and Samsung Tablet, but no go.

Thank you all for the tips!!!

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #8,693 of 9,526
  The Adapter arrived today, but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I spent the day trying root the G5 but I got as far as unlocking the Bootloader. Something screwy is going on where I cannot install any images to the phone other than one that was dated around the time Nougat was made available for the G5.

So messing around with the DAC and a new pair of Sennheiser HD600s, I tried combination of settings and configs getting the DAC to turn on via the phone. The G5 just doesn't have the juice, or there is something that is being locked out which prevents me from powering on the E2, and possibly unless I root the device, I may configure a file to trigger USB Host Mode.

BUT....here is how I got the DAC to work. I had to pretty much "jump start" it by taking a second USB cable and connecting it between my power adapter, and the USB adapter itself. The DAC turned on and I was able to use UAPP to play music through the DAC. UAPP can give the headphones some extra volume, but the phone alone cannot. This was similar to what I found when I had the DAC connected to my Nexus 5.

So that is great and all, but if I'm at an Airport, I will need to find a power source to jump start the DAC or I'm SOL regarding its use. I can disconnect the power source and the DAC will stay on. I tried to power up the DAC using my Nexus and Samsung Tablet, but no go.

Thank you all for the tips!!!

Get a battery powered USB charger,  a juice pack. Example, below.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9QVE4Q/

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #8,695 of 9,526
Like with my V20. It needs external power. Enjoy!
And maybe it's not software, the phone simply supplies not enough juice.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #8,696 of 9,526
Just thought I'd  post my experiences with the Moto G4, as I was not able to find this information prior to puchaing my USB DAC, and others in the same sitation may find this useful:

Here is the setup I have ended up with:
Streming from Plex Media Server > Moto G4 > USB Audio Player Pro (10$ android app from Play Store) > USB OTG cable > Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC > B&W P7 headphones

Here is what I did to make it work:
Before buying the DAC I used the app USB Host Checker to ascertain that the Moto G4 has limited support to act as a USB audio host. The Moto G4 will deliver audio thorugh the DAC when you insert it using a USB OTG connector cable - however, the audio sounds no different from what you get out of the normal headphone jack. In the instructions Audioquest supplied with the DAC it was recommended to get the USB Audio Player Pro app, as this has a built in USB device driver. And what a difference! Now the DAC gets to work and every aspect of the sound has improved. Georgeous details, lush bass, lovely separation in the high frequencies and the mids of the human voice and acoustic instruments really shine.

Best regards, Morten

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #8,697 of 9,526
Be sure to turn on the "Bitperfect" option in UAPP settings. ^_^

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #8,699 of 9,526
Yep you're right... But it sounds so good...

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #8,700 of 9,526
Enjoying this little set up. I'm also enjoying UAPP since I need something to add some power to these HD600s. Just need a power pack for my G5 and I'm ready to go. I had to redo my phone this morning and lock the bootloader because Android Pay would not work. No more messing with the Phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back