Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #8,671 of 9,526
Thanks... they are the current versions and I've made sure they're not defaults, but if I do use either one then I have to restart the dac before Tidal etc can see it..... I also have the same on another phone - Nexus 6P running Nougat....  I'll keep digging!

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #8,672 of 9,526
Does anyone know how to get an app that has direct access to a USB DAC (like UAPP or HF player) to release the USB port so that another app can access it (such as iplayer radio or Tidal)?  I find I have to restart the DAC (Mojo) and make sure I don't allow UAPP or HF player to access it to allow anything else to use it.
fyi I'm using a Xperia Z3C "downgraded" to 4.4.4 Kitkat (rooted stock)  to be able to use Sony's "Hi-res to USB"  which prevents android upsampling - improves things like Tidal locally stored files.... All in all this is an awesome portable rig!
I always have to release the DAC first.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #8,674 of 9,526
No, sorry, I mean physically disconnect and reconnect.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #8,675 of 9,526
can i ask which is the best smallest android phone with amazing specs that works amazing with mojo and is rootable so i can install v4a 

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #8,676 of 9,526
can i ask which is the best smallest android phone with amazing specs that works amazing with mojo and is rootable so i can install v4a 

Hmmm. I am afraid in this day and age most, if not all phone manufacturers who produce Android based phones tend to save all their awesome specs for their largest phones. You may have to go back a few generations to find a flagship phone that has a screen size smaller than 5 inches and then you run the risk of not being able to run Viper.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #8,677 of 9,526
Probably Samsung Galaxy S7 mini?

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8,680 of 9,526
Sorry, yes i remembered it was canceled.

Google Pixel or Lenovo ZUK Z2 are 5inches...too big?

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #8,682 of 9,526
Any have luck on LG V20 on a USB DAC. Was not able to connect my LH Geek Out on it. On Samsung Note 3 it was solid.

First time post for me here.

I have an LG G5 that I was able to use for a short period of time alongside a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC using an AIVN USB 3.1 Type C Male to USB 3.0 Type A Female OTG Host Cable Adapter Converter. The connection was very unpredictable. The Cable itself will Quick Charge the Phone with no problems but trying to get it to work with the DAC was a pain. When the cable is inserted, the G5 will Recognize that a USB Device is inserted. Choosing the options to Charge the Device, MTP, MIDI, PTP will not make any difference. The phone is not rooted and Dev Mode is enabled.

I also installed USB Audio Player but again this did not fix the issue.

The Phone and DAC will work together I can't but I can't count on it working when I want it to. Sometimes switching between the USB Options mentioned above will allow for the DAC to work, but I could not repeat a specific sequence to get it to work again. Sometimes simply hooking up the adapter to the phone will power on the DAC, but it won't happen the during the next attempt. I've also attempted to get a good charge on the phone itself to see if this may facilitate the problem, but again, it's an unpredictable connection.

When the Explorer 2 is attached to the G5 it works great, a and I can use Spotify, Tidal, BubblePNP to play music.

Since I'm seeing a high success rate with Samsung Devices, I will say that the DAC connected with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 with no problems whatsoever. 
As for as LG Devices go, the DAC connected to my Nexus 5 with no problems, using the same USB OTG Cable I used with the Galaxy Tab S.

Since I know that it is possible to get this DAC to work with the G5, I'm going to research other OTG Cables to see if I can find some consistency regarding the communication between the DAC and Phone.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #8,683 of 9,526
Hello @groove93! And welcome to Head-Fi!

Well found out that it needs a bit of juice to access my USB DAC.

Found this in Amazon. A USB-C OTG with HDMI and charger plug:

From the charger port It will supply power to your USB peripherals.

Now my USB DAC works fine! Having 4K video is an added bonus.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #8,684 of 9,526
Hello @groove93
! And welcome to Head-Fi!

Well found out that it needs a bit of juice to access my USB DAC.

Found this in Amazon. A USB-C OTG with HDMI and charger plug:

From the charger port It will supply power to your USB peripherals.

Now my USB DAC works fine!

Did you know about the power draw before you bought the DAC?

That's the good ol' hub trick that I used to do on my iPhone with the Gen 1 CCK.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #8,685 of 9,526
Nope....Was working with all my Sammy Phone/Tablets: Note3, Note 10.1, Tab S 9.1 both on USB 3.0 and Usb 2.0

Wondered why it wont work on my V20...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back