Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 15, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,426 of 9,526

What I understand about it ...

Android USB audio
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
FAQ:
http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

Q: How about compatibility of Android device with USB DAC?
R: ...

It seems that all that is a bit outdated now, though; the list doesn't include more modern devices like the 6P, and the software on Android's side has clearly changed from 5 to 6. The information about OTG isn't applicable to USB C, either.

If I look at the fact that it worked on Android 5 and via an older USB cable, I'd say that maybe they changed the device type detection in a way that's incompatible with my DAC. The product page specifically mentions that it uses USB Audio Class 1.0, so maybe they removed compatibility with Class 1.0 in Android 6.

I compared everyone here that said they got it working. The Chord Mojo that another user here said they got working mentions that the Android device must have OTG support. But the user that got it working with the Behringer UCA222 - that product page mentions USB Audio, but not what class. The user presumably using a JDS Labs C5D, that product page mentions OTG too, and not USB Audio. Overall, all this data doesn't really point to anything in particular, sadly. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7,427 of 9,526
  The Chord Mojo that another user here said they got working mentions that the Android device must have OTG support. 

That's because Chord's information is out of date. OTG not needed for the new Nexus phones - as I mentioned I was using the Mojo with a Nexus 6P in Google Music, no user-space apps involved.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7,428 of 9,526

That's because Chord's information is out of date. OTG not needed for the new Nexus phones - as I mentioned I was using the Mojo with a Nexus 6P in Google Music, no user-space apps involved.

Yeah. It seems that a lot of information is out of date now. I'm not sure how we can get newer, more up-to-date information. Google doesn't seem interested in helping me with this, the support personnel there have no idea what I'm talking about with this kind of thing, sadly.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #7,429 of 9,526

Yeah. It seems that a lot of information is out of date now. I'm not sure how we can get newer, more up-to-date information. Google doesn't seem interested in helping me with this, the support personnel there have no idea what I'm talking about with this kind of thing, sadly.

Like with USB audio and USB OTG with older Android phones it'll probably be us users, over time, who get it reasonably well-sorted.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #7,431 of 9,526

Like with USB audio and USB OTG with older Android phones it'll probably be us users, over time, who get it reasonably well-sorted.

I'm in the process of downloading the Android source code right now, in the hopes that I can find where USB audio is implemented and maybe read a changelog or something and see what might be causing this. If it comes down to trying to decipher the actual code, though, that will be a lost cause. I just want to do something about this, I hate sitting around waiting for someone else to solve my problem for me.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,432 of 9,526

I want to buy this kind of usb otg cable to use with my Note 4 and fiio E17. Do i have to use the female micro usb port every time too? Or i only use it when something requires extra power? 

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #7,433 of 9,526
You do not need to use the female port unless you wish to.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #7,435 of 9,526
  Hey guys.

I cannot get my C5D to work with Nexus 6P.

Help please. T_T

Do you get any sound when you plug it in, or is it in mono (that's my issue)?

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #7,439 of 9,526

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWN64RS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

+ USB A to Mini USB that was provided by JDS. 

Could be the cable, not sure. Is the phone detected properly when you plug it into a PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back