1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Android phones and USB DACs

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nztechfreak, Feb 9, 2012.
First

Back
485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494
496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505
Next

Last
  1. take8

Yeah. The pop-up menu only allows you to select between charging in, charging out, MTP, PTP, or MIDI, nothing about whether it's a host or slave. And unfortunately, the OTG storage doesn't show up unless you plug in a storage device. But that's confusing to me, because some people have said they needed to check that box first, and some have said they didn't.

2. thejammonster

I use the USB-C to USB-C cable I bought directly from Google.  My motherboard has a USB-C port on it.  It is recognized without issue.

3. thejammonster

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qlxq6/6p_otg_not_working/cwkcsq4?context=1

4. take8
  5. thejammonster

Yeah, different issue, but there are indeed others having problems.  If you can do an RMA I would say to go for it so you know you have a fully functional phone.

6. take8

Yeah, definitely still considering it. The thing I'm afraid of is getting a flawed one back, with all the yellow screen issues etc. that I've been hearing about. Mine's great so far. Also because I have the same issue on the Nexus 5 as soon as I upgraded to 6.0, so I'm still questioning whether it has anything to do with the phone, cables, or device, and thinking it might just be a software thing.

7. DanBa

Charging out: a USB host supplies power to the other connected device.

Android USB audio
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
    The basics
    http://goo.gl/MCFY2x

8. DanBa

So, as far as I understand, you use the USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable when connecting / using your Nexus 6P to your PC / Mac, and you use the Cable Matters USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Micro B (Micro USB) cable when connecting / using your Nexus 6P to your USB DAC without changing the configuration of your Nexus 6P.

By the way, about Cable Matters USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Micro B (Micro USB) cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx2X3B6YZ58K26C/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00UUBRX0Y

"Hello Charles,
    Unfortunately this cable does not support USB OTG. Please contact tech-support@cablematters.com for more information.
    Thanks
    Cable Matters Support Team
    Cable Matters  SELLER  answered on October 27, 2015"

9. thejammonster

If I want to transfer files I just pull down the menu and tap the USB settings:

2015-11-1520.44.55.png

And then choose the File transfers option:

2015-11-1520.45.09.png

I don't really ever change this setting because I have everything sync automatically to Dropbox.  When I have the phone plugged in to a DAC it automatically shows up as Charging on the USB menu.  The DACs I have aren't made to provide current so the phone doesn't say that it is charging when plugged into them.  So in short, I don't ever really change the option from Charging.  If I do need to change it it takes all of 3 seconds.

Edit: As for the USB-C to Micro cable, I'm not sure.  I don't have a DAC with a Micro USB port to test, just my old phone (LG G4) and that is able to make a data connection between the two.

10. thejammonster
    Question on your post earlier, if there is no more OTG with USB-C is it just USB Audio?  I'm not really sure what the difference is but I knew that USB Audio was baked in to Marshmallow which is why I figured any cable meant for data transfer should work just fine (and has worked, so far).

11. take8

Yeah. I've tried all the options, none of them make a difference. It still plays in mono through all of them, even when it's set to MIDI or MTP.

12. DanBa

So, as far as I understand, the default operating mode of the Nexus 6 should be USB host, so that the Nexus 6P can work with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC; and when interworking with a PC / Mac operating as USB host for file transfer, you have to configure indirectly the Nexus 6P in USB peripheral mode.

Standard USB DAC operating as USB peripheral doesn't provide power to a Dual-Role Device Android device operating as USB host.
    Android-specific USB DAC (aka accessory mode USB DAC) operating as USB host does provide power to a Dual-Role Device Android device operating as USB peripheral.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5130#post_10762672

Anyway, no USB-C cable of your list is labelled as OTG cable.

Quote:

With USB Type-C, there is no more USB OTG cable to connect a Dual-Role Device Android device to a standard USB DAC (and a regular USB cable to connect a Dual-Role Device Android device to a PC / Mac).

With USB Type-C, there is only a regular USB-Type C cable to connect a DRD Android device to a USB DAC (or any other USB peripheral) as well as to connect a DRD Android device to a PC / Mac (or any other USB host) if the USB DAC and the PC / Mac have the same USB plug.
    And there should be a mean / mechanism to configure the DRD Android device in USB host mode or in USB peripheral mode.

13. DanBa

I am a bit confused with your problem.

Apparently, your phone, a Nexus 5 running on Android 5, can fully work with your USB DAC.

And the same Nexus 5 running on Android 6 can only work in mono with the same USB DAC using a native USB audio music player (i.e. your cable is still functional, and your Nexus 5 is still operating as USB host).

And the same Nexus 5 running on Android 6 can fully work with the same USB DAC using a third-party / user space USB audio music player (i.e. your cable is still functional, and your Nexus 5 is still operating as USB host).
    So, apparently, the native USB audio of the Nexus running on current Android 6 is bugged (i.e. it can't properly work with your USB DAC: incorrect interprteation of the USB desciptor of your USB DAC?).

14. take8

Yes, the Nexus 5 worked fine (native in stereo) before the upgrade to 6.0, at which point it became mono. I got a Nexus 6P a few days after I upgraded, and it has the same issue, only playing in mono. The Nexus 6P works (stereo) via a userspace USB audio player; I never tried it on the 5, but I would assume it does, too. This is why I thought it was a software-related issue, but it's been very confusing, since there are others here with very similar or identical setups that aren't having issues. When I posted over at XDA a week or two ago, there was another person that reported the same issue as me with a different DAC. I don't understand how it could be a software issue that doesn't affect certain devices running the exact same software. The only thing different here is the DAC hardware.

15. DanBa

What I understand about it ...

Android USB audio
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
    FAQ:
    http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

Q: How about compatibility of Android device with USB DAC?
    R: ...

First

Back
485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494
496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505
Next

Last