Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5,897 of 9,526
Or it could be psychological - like an awful lot of perceived differences in sound reproduction.

Or both - a lot of SACD and DSD "compatible" players for example don't actually decode the DSD directly. They just convert them into PCM in their processor then run them through a PCM DAC. Then you still get people raving about how much better the SACDs are even compared with basically the same album in PCM of any bit depth when they're playing them through one of those $200 Pioneer or Philips universal disc players, or some of the newer DAPs (I mean, why not just convert them to PCM before putting them into a player that will do it on the fly and just drain more of the battery?).

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,898 of 9,526
  i don't know when i play the same song 192/24 bit from the iPod using onkyo player it sounds different than when i use uapp on android when connected to idsd, with iPod i don't know why i find more warmth in the sound

That is because software DOES make a difference and you hear it.  Believe your ears, not what you are told!

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5,899 of 9,526

That is because software DOES make a difference and you hear it.  Believe your ears, not what you are told!

By that logic, we should not believe you telling us that software makes a difference.

Personally, I am more inclined to believe something if it has objective, reproducible evidence to back it up. I'm just odd scientific that way.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #5,900 of 9,526

By that logic, we should not believe you telling us that software makes a difference.

Personally, I am more inclined to believe something if it has objective, reproducible evidence to back it up. I'm just odd scientific that way.
happy_face1.gif

Sir Knight, until the 1600s there was no scientific explanation for the colour white.  Newton offered the first plausibe explanation, which was questioned by people like Goethe until the early 19th Century. Does it mean that until that day people should doubt the evidence of their senses, i.e. the existence of the colour white simply because scientists could not explain it?

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5,901 of 9,526

Sir Knight, until the 1600s there was no scientific explanation for the colour white.  Newton offered the first plausibe explanation, which was questioned by people like Goethe until the early 19th Century. Does it mean that until that day people should doubt the evidence of their senses, i.e. the existence of the colour white simply because scientists could not explain it?

This is the different time, almost 2015, and we're not talking string theory or Higgs boson here. This is easy science and psychoacoustics is well understood.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,904 of 9,526

Psycho-acoustics is not well understood. Most of the best and most thorough research in psycho-acoustics occurred in the 1930s, for the U.S. Navy Sonar and anti-submarine warfare programs.

Exactly how the human brain perceives sounds (plural) at various frequencies and volume levels, is a work in progress.

So too are the testing methods by which any theories are tested. ABX, for instance, is largely useless.

I ask the army of ABX zealots to please refrain from attacking me, I won't engage you any further so try to save it, especially since this whole thing is now off-topic for the thread.

wow it seems my question started a big debate, psychoacoustics or not i feel that the sound changes by changes the transport so until only of the two debate teams wins or comes up with a winning explanation i will hold on to my thoughts, but keep the debate peaceful 

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,906 of 9,526

Psycho-acoustics is not well understood. Most of the best and most thorough research in psycho-acoustics occurred in the 1930s, for the U.S. Navy Sonar and anti-submarine warfare programs.

Exactly how the human brain perceives sounds (plural) at various frequencies and volume levels, is a work in progress.

So too are the testing methods by which any theories are tested. ABX, for instance, is largely useless.

I ask the army of ABX zealots to please refrain from attacking me, I won't engage you any further so try to save it, especially since this whole thing is now off-topic for the thread.

Lighten up, I don't remember ever attacking you or forcing you to believe anything, There's plenty of research available from many sources, again, nobody is forcing any of it on you.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,907 of 9,526
HRT dSp USB DAC/amp:
https://www.facebook.com/HighResTech

"The new dSp can connect to an Android smartphone or tablet and doesn't require any extra cables or adapters. Just use the included USB micro B to micro B cable and its ready to go.
With its ultra low power consumption, the pair will play for an extended period of time. [under 50 mA]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/1020#post_11012523
If you have a notebook or computer, the included USB A to micro B cable is all that is needed. 

The dSp is a digital Sound processor which includes a high performance DAC and a powerful amplifier. No matter what headphones you listen to, the dSp will make them sound their best."

"The $69-suggested HRT dSp connects to Android devices and PCs."
"The dSp’s UAC (USB Audio Class) interface receives USB audio (PCM) from the host device, including from Android devices running the latest Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS, which offers native support for USB audio via accessories such as the dSp, said CTO Kevin Halverson. The dSP supports all USB Audio Class 1.0 sample rates and bit depths including up to 96 kHz and up to 24 bits."
http://www.twice.com/news/audio/hrt-readies-portable-sound-processors/55268#sthash.Ym7uu2jh.dpuf

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5,909 of 9,526
Onkyo reveals HF Player Android version.
Same functionality to iOS version PLUS app internal driver like UAPP that ensures hires output. That is call ONKYO USB HF Driver. This internal driver allows 352kHz/24 PCM and native DSD via DoP.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5,910 of 9,526
  It depends on the USB DAC.

The hardware volume keys of a Galaxy S3 / Note3 can modify the volume of the active audio stream of HibyMusic player when driving an ODAC or a C-Media CM119 chipset-based sound card.
When driving a FiiO E17 or a XMOS USB 384K/32bit PCM5102, they cannot.

The USB descriptors of ODAC, C-Media CM119 chipset-based sound card, FiiO E17 and XMOS USB 384K/32bit PCM5102 can be found at the following link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUeZXNUYmF2SG5WNWs/edit?pli=1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5760#post_11076260

Here is the new version which fixed some issues (for internal testing and will be published in the next week):

1. More USB DAC (such as Dragonfly U2, Audioengine D1/D3) supported
2. Hardware volume control for USB DAC added(without UI display, just press Volume+/- button while using USB DAC)
3. Graphic equalizer added
4. More Languages added
5. Layout optimized for performance issue
6. Cover art scaling optimized
7. Tiny bugs for media files supporting fixed

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iax9eltz3cp9wc0/HibyMusic_v1.1.apk

Thanks for your support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back