Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 1, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,026 of 9,526
  Does anyone know if you can use your android phone (note 3) paired with an astel and kern player, specially the new AK120 ii?

Why? The AK120 is a DAP already...

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5,029 of 9,526

Isn't the AK120 MKII an Android device?

Android-based perhaps, but like a bunch of other Android-based devices, they only used that as the starting point for the firmware. It doesn't necessarily mean that it actually works like an Android competitor to the iPod Touch. Even the bulky DX100, which uses an OS that is nearly unchanged from whatever version of Android that is, doesn't work the same way as a Galaxy S player. You have to hook it up to install player apps, instead of accessing the Google Play Store directly (others can't even get apps).

I do however see your prior point about the AK120 being a DAP already - considering you can load two mciroSD cards in there on top of its internal 32gb memory, I also cannot see the need for Spotify. Then again, half my music probably isn't even on Spotify.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #5,030 of 9,526

Good point! I just ordered a AK100 II new model.

Well, the AK 100 II is a USB DAC, so maybe that will work. I'll let you know.
I'm currently running Galaxy S5 + E18.

Also, the AK100 II supports Bluetooth and WiFi audio streaming, so maybe those can be used as well.

Greetings,

Casper

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5,031 of 9,526

Android-based perhaps, but like a bunch of other Android-based devices, they only used that as the starting point for the firmware. It doesn't necessarily mean that it actually works like an Android competitor to the iPod Touch. Even the bulky DX100, which uses an OS that is nearly unchanged from whatever version of Android that is, doesn't work the same way as a Galaxy S player. You have to hook it up to install player apps, instead of accessing the Google Play Store directly (others can't even get apps).

I do however see your prior point about the AK120 being a DAP already - considering you can load two mciroSD cards in there on top of its internal 32gb memory, I also cannot see the need for Spotify. Then again, half my music probably isn't even on Spotify.

It looks like just a heavily skinned Android. As long as it is using Android as a base then it will still be capable of every that Android can do. Don't forget that Android is open source and is quite easily modifiable because of that fact. It's not about the player app, it's about the ability to stream music through the audio out like every other Android device does. The only difference is that the AK 120 uses extremely overpriced and capable DAC and amp section that normal Android devices don't have. It's probably as simple as installing Spotify as a standard app and running it via WiFi. If it's block from doing so, you could change the permissions and allow it to install all the apps.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #5,032 of 9,526
  I've got an Audioquest Dragonfly and would love to use it with my Nexus 5 that's running L. What exactly do I need to get this working? I know I need a USB OTG cable, does any otg cable like this one work?

Yes.

When a micro USB OTG plug (i.e. pin 4 connected to pin 5) of such a cable is inserted into a USB On The Go-capable Android device like the Nexus 5, the Android device is configured to USB host mode, able to drive a USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB DAC.

PC or Mac > USB audio out >> regular USB cable >> DragonFly >> headphones

Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> headphones

Quote:
  I was also wondering if I'm going to need a portable amp with it or if the Dragonfly will be enough.

It depends on your headphones.
People used to select an amp allowing the best matching / synergy with their headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #5,033 of 9,526
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's interesting with Geek Out (like Dragonfly) is that it has indicator lights.

When playing with Neutron, Poweramp, BS Player indicator lights are always 48K, unlike UAPP it reflects the sample rate correctly.

Does these mean Neutron, Poweramp, BS Player (or other players) outputs only at 48K regardless what is the source's sample rate??

Contrary to USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP), music players like Neutron or Poweramp are interfacing to the Android media player framework.

And the current Android media player framework can only output 16/48.

Apparently, the Android media player framework is improved in Android L: the native USB audio of Android L can play 16/44.1 music file and output 16/44.1 PCM stream towards an external USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5010#post_10669296

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,034 of 9,526
  With that in mind, I believe the cable will be the problem. Does anyone make a OTG cable from the USB port on the phone to a type B USB at the iDSD?

Android USB Audio - A list of USB OTG cables
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5010#post_10669282

". USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded)

Android device > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

.. micro USB OTG (ID pin grounded) plug to micro / mini / standard USB plug cable:
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=55

.. micro USB OTG (ID pin grounded) plug to standard USB plug cable:
http://m.dckina.com/mobile.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1587
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-micro-usb-to-usb-b-usb-otg-on-the-go-cable.html"

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #5,035 of 9,526
Thanks Danba!

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #5,036 of 9,526

Good point! I just ordered a AK100 II new model.

Well, the AK 100 II is a USB DAC, so maybe that will work. I'll let you know.
I'm currently running Galaxy S5 + E18.

Also, the AK100 II supports Bluetooth and WiFi audio streaming, so maybe those can be used as well.

Greetings,

Casper

If you could do that it would be very much appreciated!

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5,037 of 9,526

It looks like just a heavily skinned Android. As long as it is using Android as a base then it will still be capable of every that Android can do. Don't forget that Android is open source and is quite easily modifiable because of that fact. It's not about the player app, it's about the ability to stream music through the audio out like every other Android device does. The only difference is that the AK 120 uses extremely overpriced and capable DAC and amp section that normal Android devices don't have. It's probably as simple as installing Spotify as a standard app and running it via WiFi. If it's block from doing so, you could change the permissions and allow it to install all the apps.

My point about the AK120 being a DAP already, Android or not, is that even if you can do all that and install Spotify on it, does it even have WiFi to access Spotify on its own? 

Since it won't, then you won't need to get into the guts of its firmware. It doesn't even matter what firmware it uses, or the streaming transport device's, as long as it can work as a USB DAC for it. The question really is that, given the AK120 is already a DAP with an internal 32gb of memory and has two microSD slots, why the need to strap a phone onto it and make it awkward for taking calls, which is what that phone is for? At least if you have nothing strapped to the phone while using it for Spotify, it'll still be easier to bring it up to your lips, in case you're not using a headset. I mean, if you can afford an AK120, what's the problem with getting the largest capacity microSD cards it can use, or actually purchasing the albums (as I assume people got used to torrents, and will prefer $5 a month for 320kbps instead of $9 to $15 per legal FLAC download or CDs) and archiving them into back up HDDs?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #5,038 of 9,526

Yes.

When a micro USB OTG plug (i.e. pin 4 connected to pin 5) of such a cable is inserted into a USB On The Go-capable Android device like the Nexus 5, the Android device is configured to USB host mode, able to drive a USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB DAC.

PC or Mac > USB audio out >> regular USB cable >> DragonFly >> headphones

Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> headphones

Quote:

It depends on your headphones.
People used to select an amp allowing the best matching / synergy with their headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

Thanks for answering! I'm pretty new at this, and trying to learn as much as possible by my self but information from people like you makes it much easier.

I'm currently using Sony MDR-V6 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. So I wasn't sure if I needed to add an amp in so it'll be
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> AMP >> headphones

I've also been looking at the FiiO E18 DAC & AMP. Although I'm not sure how well it works with the Nexus 5 on Android L.
If I was to get it would it be better to go
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> FiiO E18 >> headphones
or just
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >>  FiiO E18 >> headphones
and drop the DragonFly since the Fiio E18 seems to have a dac built into it?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #5,039 of 9,526
  Thanks for answering! I'm pretty new at this, and trying to learn as much as possible by my self but information from people like you makes it much easier.

I'm currently using Sony MDR-V6 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. So I wasn't sure if I needed to add an amp in so it'll be
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> AMP >> headphones

I've also been looking at the FiiO E18 DAC & AMP. Although I'm not sure how well it works with the Nexus 5 on Android L.
If I was to get it would it be better to go
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >> DragonFly >> FiiO E18 >> headphones
or just
Nexus 5 > USB audio out >> USB OTG adapter cable >>  FiiO E18 >> headphones
and drop the DragonFly since the Fiio E18 seems to have a dac built into it?

Hi Dark,

I've owned a E18 for a couple of weeks now.
I combine it with my Galaxy 5S and own a pair of Pioneer DJE-2000 IEM, AKG 551 and Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm).

The E18 delivers great for me. Works as PC/MAC DAC+Amp, Android DAC+Amp and iPad DAC+Amp (with camera connect kit).
It can also function as an external battery pack for you phone to recharge it.

On the FIIO site you can see that it runs with your Nexus 5.
Google
Nexus5(CM11 4.4.2)​
 ​
http://www.fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002
(specifications page of the E18)

I've got "the" Android setup running ...
L3000.gif

My Android Setup, in detail:
         - Samsung Galaxy S5
         - 128 GB microSD
         - FIIO E18 (via USB OTG, DAC + AMP)
         - PowerAmp Pro app for listening
         - iSyncr (bought full version), this has a PC and Android part/module.
         - iTunes + other + Loss-less CD conversions + FLAC Downloads

Total cost for all this great software: 3.49€ + 3.99€ + 2.99€ .... all bases covered for 10.47€!!

I hope this can help,

Casper

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #5,040 of 9,526

Hi Dark,

I've owned a E18 for a couple of weeks now.
I combine it with my Galaxy 5S and own a pair of Pioneer DJE-2000 IEM, AKG 551 and Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm).

The E18 delivers great for me. Works as PC/MAC DAC+Amp, Android DAC+Amp and iPad DAC+Amp (with camera connect kit).
It can also function as an external battery pack for you phone to recharge it.

On the FIIO site you can see that it runs with your Nexus 5.
Google
Nexus5(CM11 4.4.2)​
 ​
http://www.fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002
(specifications page of the E18)

I've got "the" Android setup running ...
L3000.gif

My Android Setup, in detail:
         - Samsung Galaxy S5
         - 128 GB microSD
         - FIIO E18 (via USB OTG, DAC + AMP)
         - PowerAmp Pro app for listening
         - iSyncr (bought full version), this has a PC and Android part/module.
         - iTunes + other + Loss-less CD conversions + FLAC Downloads

Total cost for all this great software: 3.49€ + 3.99€ + 2.99€ .... all bases covered for 10.47€!!

I hope this can help,

Casper

That really does help a lot, thanks mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back