Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4,909 of 9,526
My friend was enjoying his Dragonfly 1.2 + Note 2 combo until the last UAPP update.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Seems fine here (Note 3 though). What's the actual issue they have?

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #4,911 of 9,526
Nice Dan!

I have a question for yall.  

So my most favorite DAC is the ODAC(hopefully you guys are familiar with it).  The problem is, the ODAC functions best if it gets sufficient current, and it sound great with my desktop computer.  I tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it doesn't sound the same.  I believe the phone is current limiting it, which makes sense as it would drain the battery in a short time if it didn't.  

So my question is, is there rechargible usb hub that supply sufficient power to the ODAC and also accept data from the Galaxy S4?  So the power connections from the usb go to the rechargeable usb hub(doesn't have to be a hub, but it has to supply sufficient power to the ODAC), and another separate cable that splits off that goes to the Galaxy S4 for DATA input to the ODAC.  

Thanks,
SE

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #4,912 of 9,526
  Nice Dan!

I have a question for yall.  

So my most favorite DAC is the ODAC(hopefully you guys are familiar with it).  The problem is, the ODAC functions best if it gets sufficient current, and it sound great with my desktop computer.  I tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it doesn't sound the same.  I believe the phone is current limiting it, which makes sense as it would drain the battery in a short time if it didn't.  

So my question is, is there rechargible usb hub that supply sufficient power to the ODAC and also accept data from the Galaxy S4?  So the power connections from the usb go to the rechargeable usb hub(doesn't have to be a hub, but it has to supply sufficient power to the ODAC), and another separate cable that splits off that goes to the Galaxy S4 for DATA input to the ODAC.  

Thanks,
SE

Why not get an OTG cable with a Y split for power and plug that into a USB battery pack (used for smartphones). Works for me with my S3. I can hookup my S3 to a Desktop Bifrost DAC that would otherwise cause my S3 to burn out.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4,913 of 9,526
  Why not get an OTG cable with a Y split for power and plug that into a USB battery pack (used for smartphones). Works for me with my S3. I can hookup my S3 to a Desktop Bifrost DAC that would otherwise cause my S3 to burn out.

redface.gif
  Thank you.  Hopefully, the usb will supply ample current to the ODAC from the USB battery pack.  Which usb battery pack do you use?  I'm lovin my ODAC, and I have a portable amp the Vorzuge pure ii, and to me there is nothing like it and would like to carry it around.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #4,914 of 9,526

redface.gif
  Thank you.  Hopefully, the usb will supply ample current to the ODAC from the USB battery pack.  Which usb battery pack do you use?  I'm lovin my ODAC, and I have a portable amp the Vorzuge pure ii, and to me there is nothing like it and would like to carry it around.

I have one made by Samsung, it has 9,000 mA capacity, far more than is needed to run a USB port. Originally I got it to charge my smartphone, which it can do several times before being depleted. I got this powerhouse for $75 USD.You can probably do with something with less power that is far cheaper.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EEB-EI1CBAGSTA?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,915 of 9,526
I have one made by Samsung, it has 9,000 mA capacity, far more than is needed to run a USB port. Originally I got it to charge my smartphone, which it can do several times before being depleted. I got this powerhouse for $75 USD.You can probably do with something with less power that is far cheaper.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EEB-EI1CBAGSTA?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

I have the same battery. While I haven't used it for anything audio related yet, I've found it to be incredibly useful in other areas, like keeping my phones and tablets alive while on the go. Great product!

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #4,916 of 9,526
I think I should get the wood case for my Note 3 tomorrow, that should allow me to have a cosmetically seamless way to integrate my 256GB SD card in the phone. Will post some pictures up when I (hopefully) have it all working.

For now all I have is this:

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #4,917 of 9,526
  I think I should get the wood case for my Note 3 tomorrow, that should allow me to have a cosmetically seamless way to integrate my 256GB SD card in the phone. Will post some pictures up when I (hopefully) have it all working.

For now all I have is this:

Nice, did you use a ribbon to do this? I'm currently waiting for mine as well and I got an extended battery pack that should be able to fit the ribbon without bulging out of the case. For now it looks like this but this should work regardless.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4,918 of 9,526
Yeah, the SD-microSD ribbon adapter.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #4,919 of 9,526
Just wanted to update, tried the Hifimediy U2 asynchronous on the S3, it doesn't work. I'm using CM11 KitKat. :frowning2: It does detect it and you can hear the click but no sound coming out of it at all. Just a heads up if anyone is planning to get this DAC. It's great though, it now belongs to my mac
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back