Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #4,876 of 9,526
can anybody confirm successful use of an dac / amp with a sony xperia z1 comnpact?

Yes, my HeadAmp Pico works fine, no need for UAPP - just plug n play (via USB OTG cable of course).

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4,878 of 9,526
superb - thanks for this, however was hoping for something cheaper like a fiio eo7k

The E7 I had seemed to be one of the most compatible devices with Android phones, it worked on everything I tried it on. I'd be surprised if it didn't work here too. The Dragonfly 1.2 I have works with the Z1 Compact via UAPP, if local playback suits your needs (with a 128gb microSD card there is a reasonable space available for local playback). It's cheaper than the Pico, uber portable and sound good.

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #4,880 of 9,526
thanks again, apologies I should have added I'm looking for a dac/amp if possible

The Dragonfly is a DAC/amp all in one. Whether it can suit your use depends on whether you can live with local playback and UAPP limitations. I have a 128gb card, so I'm good. I'll have a 256gb SD card soon too, will be using that via an adapter with my Note 3 (with a wood case thinned a little it fits unobtrusively, no need for monster extended battery cases and such like).

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4,881 of 9,526
Ok, thanks again :)

By local playback I assume you mean what's essentially on the device (or sd card) itself? If so, no issues with that.

I'm not entirely sure of uapp? Essentially was aiming to use the micro USB as audio out to USB in on a day/amp - bit of a boost in Sq and volume

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #4,882 of 9,526
Hey guys just wanted to confirm that the Fiio E17 works with the Moto G stock ROM with OTG cable but only at 16/48 which frankly is all you really need. Haven't tried it with 24/96 and not planning on it. It makes a pretty noticeable difference in clarity and soundstage, maybe a bit more on the bright side compare to straight through the HP jack, probably because of the extra high freq extension that you get, also gets pretty airy at times with some tracks.

ehavabe6.jpg

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,883 of 9,526
Hey guys just wanted to confirm that the Fiio E17 works with the Moto G stock ROM with OTG cable but only at 16/48 which frankly is all you really need. Haven't tried it with 24/96 and not planning on it. It makes a pretty noticeable difference in clarity and soundstage, maybe a bit more on the bright side compare to straight through the HP jack, probably because of the extra high freq extension that you get, also gets pretty airy at times with some tracks.

ehavabe6.jpg

Nice.
The Moto G ,  although @ $200 dollars, still amazes me!!!
Can't wait to try the 4G version with microSD.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #4,885 of 9,526
Ok, thanks again :)

By local playback I assume you mean what's essentially on the device (or sd card) itself? If so, no issues with that.

I'm not entirely sure of uapp? Essentially was aiming to use the micro USB as audio out to USB in on a day/amp - bit of a boost in Sq and volume

Yeah, local playback being music stored on the device, rather than streaming services like Spotify.

UAPP uses its own drivers and bypasses the normal Android audio framework, it works with the Dragonfly (even including volume control on the Dragonfly's amp). For some DACs UAPP is needed for the DAC to work with the phone, the Dragonfly being one such DAC.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4,886 of 9,526
How do I get poweramp to go through the USB and not speaker? I have a u control behringer?

Do you have an OTG cable?

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,888 of 9,526
  How do I get poweramp to go through the USB and not speaker? I have a u control behringer?

It's possible that the UCA202/222 don't support Android OTG playback.

Only other possibility I might think of is the power drainage from the 202/222. You might want to try running it through a powered USB hub, or power Y OTG USB cable like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261396796309?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,889 of 9,526
Yeah, local playback being music stored on the device, rather than streaming services like Spotify.

UAPP uses its own drivers and bypasses the normal Android audio framework, it works with the Dragonfly (even including volume control on the Dragonfly's amp). For some DACs UAPP is needed for the DAC to work with the phone, the Dragonfly being one such DAC.

thank you for confirmation

so is uapp a downloadable app or program? If the case then would any amp/dac probably work?

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4,890 of 9,526

It's possible that the UCA202/222 don't support Android OTG playback.

Only other possibility I might think of is the power drainage from the 202/222. You might want to try running it through a powered USB hub, or power Y OTG USB cable like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261396796309?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

I believe I saw a photo in a thread with someone using an S3 and this DAC. I just bought a FIO 6. 

THe light on the DAC  goes green so it's getting juice, just maybe not android supported :-s

I do have a custom ROM on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back