Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,861 of 9,526

In the app's setting (top-right button), you can enable it. IIRC, the FiiO's do not have feedback information.

Thanks, I suppose I might get the E18 to fix this but I can't say I'm happy since I really like the iBasso. :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,862 of 9,526
I have been thinking about the best setup for using my android phone and my DAC and I think this is what I want. Is it possible to both use the harddisk for my music collection and the DAC to repoduce the music in the same time?

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,863 of 9,526

Temporary solution I suppose :frowning2:...

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,864 of 9,526
  I have been thinking about the best setup for using my android phone and my DAC and I think this is what I want. Is it possible to both use the harddisk for my music collection and the DAC to repoduce the music in the same time?

Yes, it is!

Non-stop folder playback: Music files stored on a 2TB portable hard drive
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4845#post_10617719

Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> battery-powered USB hub connected to a 2TB USB hard drive >> ODAC >> Neco Soundlab V3 amp >> Alpha Dog headphones

From left to right: Alpha Dog headphones, Neco V3 amp, ODAC, WD My Passport hard drive, Veho Pepple battery pack, Galaxy Note 3
At the bottom: Belkin 4-port USB hub

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #4,865 of 9,526
I guess that portable doesn't really apply here. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #4,868 of 9,526
That's not the kind of miniaturization I've seen in James Bond movies.
biggrin.gif
 That's more like what appealed to Maxwell Smart.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #4,869 of 9,526
Hm I asked over the Android reddit and it seems like like other CM11 rom users are having issues with FLAC playback as well, a few pops and whatnot. So it might not even be hardware. I will still most likely get a Hifimediy to use for my mac and hopefully my phone but if it doesn't work for my phone then it's a mac exclusive device. Just letting everyone know if anyone has any issues with CM11!

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,871 of 9,526
  I just ordered one of these for $109 shipped. Not that it would work for this, but still a cool device.

https://meetlima.com/#

It seems like a unified cloud of some sort? Please update when you get it! :) But I'm assuming it's with wifi :frowning2:... what about offline DAPs.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,872 of 9,526
Hm I asked over the Android reddit and it seems like like other CM11 rom users are having issues with FLAC playback as well, a few pops and whatnot. So it might not even be hardware. I will still most likely get a Hifimediy to use for my mac and hopefully my phone but if it doesn't work for my phone then it's a mac exclusive device. Just letting everyone know if anyone has any issues with CM11!

I'm not, BUT I play 16 bit FLACs via Tonido (free app, which streams them at full quality from tonido server running on a desktop for me) and not a regular player, and when I have 24 bit FLACs, I load them onto my Nexus 5 and play them off UAPP. (Yes, I bought UAPP! I figured maybe the day will come soon that stock android/aosp will have native USB audio support, but I think it'll still have the 16 bit limitation, so might as well invest in UAPP for 24 bit playback.)

Also, the people you asked, were they using USB DACs? I suspect not.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,874 of 9,526

I'm not, BUT I play 16 bit FLACs via Tonido (free app, which streams them at full quality from tonido server running on a desktop for me) and not a regular player, and when I have 24 bit FLACs, I load them onto my Nexus 5 and play them off UAPP. (Yes, I bought UAPP! I figured maybe the day will come soon that stock android/aosp will have native USB audio support, but I think it'll still have the 16 bit limitation, so might as well invest in UAPP for 24 bit playback.)

Also, the people you asked, were they using USB DACs? I suspect not.

I understand but I have a Galaxy S3, which another user has said can't handle the information feedback from certain DACs. I don't really know much beyond that but that's mainly why I'm switching the DAC and I'm using the phone outside/offline so streaming won't really help either. But this is what they said:

I don't really need 24 bit playback right now so I'll wait until I need it and buy UAPP if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back