1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Android phones and USB DACs

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nztechfreak, Feb 9, 2012.
First

Back
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194
Next

Last
  1. FlySweep

This is normal.. it's just like using WASAPI out w/ your PC and still being able to control the volume of the digital output.  keep your S4's volume at 100%.

2. AladdinSane
    Quote:
    Now that is good news. It solves a couple challenges on my PC setup and should work with my HTC One and Asus Transformer tablet (crosses fingers). Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

3. VeXun
    Can someone please help me build a cart on amazon with what I need to use an amp / dac for my HTC one I'm not sure what usb otg cable to get or which dac amp to get, should I get the old e7 or the new e7k or whatever it is, I would like to keep the budget under 100$ if possible , if the sound quality won't be better I'm willing to spend a little more but not too much.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

4. VeXun
    Also forgot to mention I use only iems. My collection consists of "hf3's, x10i's, re-400's, tdk ba-200's, ue500's, e10's, gr02 BE's, s4's".

5. satwilson
    I have been following this thread for a while and it seems to be a constantly evolving technology. I have an Xperia TL, and recently purchased a Clip Zip. Will Xperia>OTG>DAC/ provide a significantly better source for my E12 and modded T50RPs than the Clip Zip? I listen to FLAC CD rips. Thanks, satwilson

6. SV_huMMer
    Update on Sola/USB OTG Power Consumption Error:

I think I have a faint clue as to why a cheap USB DAC inserted between Xperia Sola and a USB Device may solve the Power Consumption Error.

I checked Windows Device Manager properties/Power tab for USB devices connected to my laptop, and here are the findings:

1) A USB Flash Drive, that was rejected by Sola if plugged straight into the OTG cable:

500ma_flashdrive.jpg
    I know it's cyrillic, but the highlighted item is Mass Storage Device, and it claims it needs 500mA. 

2) Another USB Flash drive, that was accepted and mounted by Sola, plugged directly to USB OTG:

flashdrive_200ma.jpg

As you can see, the USB Mass Storage Device claims it needs only 200mA!!! Which means that Sola is willing to provide 200mA, but not 500mA. I guess the threshold is somewhere between these two values, but I have no way to tell the exact value.

3) RSA Predator - rejected by Sola if plugged directly into USB OTG:

RSA_Predator_500ma.jpg

The highlighted item says USB Composite Device (which is how RSA Predator reports itself to the host PC), and (unfortunately) it claims it needs 500mA of current. I know for sure that this is not true: Ray Samuels, while not going into specific details, told me that the Predator's USB power consumption is "far less than 100mA", and I have no reasons not to believe him. The Predator only uses USB to power the DAC cirquit, the entire amp section is powered by the built-in Lithium battery. And this is a very sad thing, because not only it reduces Predator's compatibility with power-avarious android devices, but I also think this is one of the reasons why it is incompatible with Apple CCK, because it calls the same error message: "the device consumes too much power". Which it does not in reality...

And finally, the icing on the cake: 3$ generic USB hub!

genericUSBhub_0ma.jpg

Bingo!!! The highlighted item says... well, you see what it says, it's in English :) But look at the right column value: 0!!! The device tells the host that it needs no current at all!!!

This brought me to an emperical, not science-backed conclusion that a USB hub (or at least certain types of USB hubs) is not transparent for Android USB OTG host device, such as Xperia Sola, and, in case it reports 0mA power reqiuirements, you can plug a coffee machine into it, and still have it accepted by your phone.

Disclaimer: a coffee machine was a joke. And if you burn something plugging things all over the place after reading this post - don't hold me responsible! :)

drSeehas likes this.
  7. Guru59
    Hello people thank you so much for this thread i became a member just to reply

I tried usb dac on my Galaxy S3 and it works awesome sound both from Steelseries Siberia Usb and Asus Xonar u3

Also i tried using USB sound recorder on a Hyundai T7 (chineese tablet with samsung exynos) and it sounds great thanks alot folks....Respect

Here is an image of it

20130730_223613.jpg

DanBa likes this.
  8. DanBa
    Welcome!
    Thanks!

9. DanBa
    Quote:

Quote:

How about a HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC with some headphones driving capability?
    http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/646969/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac-with-android#post_9431482

HTC One > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC/"amp" >> IEM

or 

HTC One > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC >> amp >> IEM
    Amp:
    http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

10. DanBa
    Quote:

Dr. Bott T3 USB 2.0 hub:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/dr-bott-t3-usb-2-0-hub/1448

"iOS 4 changed the power limits of the USB DACs via camera connection kit, i.e. broke things.  With iOS 4 you can use a Dr. Botts "T3" portable hub to fool the iPad into thinking it is using a powered hub, and then you can use the DAC fully portable without power."
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/375#post_8255249

11. yellobie
    Hi everyone, a newbie here but had been lurking around for a long time in head fi :p

Firstly, thanks to those who contribute to this great thread! I was researching for a reasonably priced, high performance portable player for some time, from Sansa Clip+ to iBasso DX100 (ya it's out of my reasonably price range) to Sony Walkman Z/F series, and I finally stumbled upon this thread. I think using a source, in this case an Android based device, that outputs digital signal is a really good move as this allows flexibility in setting up one's portable or even home rig. Anyway, please keep up the good work guys!

Danba, I came across this post by Sony Support in their forum, think it might help? It was posted recently, Jun 20, 2013.

I think in short, all the Sony devices listed here can be used with USB Audio Recorder? For official support, the Xperia Z, ZL and Tablet Z allows direct USB to DAC, and you can play songs with native player or players like poweramp?

12. SV_huMMer

Don't make my mistake though, buddy! :) bear in mind two things: first, UARP requires at least 800x480 screen resolution. Otherwise the app will simply refuse to install. See my Xpera Go "no go" post http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2700#post_9647443

Second, don't forget the OTG power consumption error problem that Xperias have. Again, see some of my posts here recently.

13. yellobie
    Quote:
    Thanks for your warning notes hummer! I was looking at Xperia V till I saw the problems you faced. Hope you can get them work out soon. By the way, do you intend to try custom ROM for your Sola? I was thinking, maybe a custom USB driver might help in your case? Maybe DanBa or someone who knows more can help. [​IMG]

14. VeXun
    Would that dac be better than say a fiio e7 or e17?

Thanx

15. DanBa
    Some reviews of the affordable HiFiMeDIY Sabre:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/RIXL3WSR02G6/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AOH5JTQ&nodeID=11091801&store=musical-instruments

First

Back
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194
Next

Last