Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,101 of 9,526
I have bought a half dozen short mini cables in the last few weeks and only one was labeled.  I wish all were and I wish the hardware makers noted their connection type somewhere in their documentation...How hard would it be to add "mini USB 'B' connection" if that is what they use??

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,102 of 9,526
Could anybody with a Note 2 chime in with the settings (if any) in the phone that are needed to pass the USB audio out? If there are none and it should just automagically work I'm off to root and install the kernel recommended earlier.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,103 of 9,526
No settings, should work automatically if a supported DAC is connected. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,104 of 9,526
Quote:
Nexus 4 working handsomely with ziddey's OTG kernel and jacknorris' patch (external power required ofc).

Rather good news for Google Nexus 4 owners!

"The first problem with getting OTG working on the Nexus 4 is that the kernel does not support it. This has been solved using a modified version of Franco’s kernel. The second problem is that the Nexus 4 cannot physically supply the necessary 5 volts. The way around this is to use a Y-cable, and supply the needed voltage from an outside power source such as a wall outlet or external battery pack. Some users have also reported success using a powered USB hub....."
http://newsheads.com/android-advanced-usb-otg-on-the-nexus-4/

Nexus 4 A-device > USB out >> Micro-A plug to Type-A receptacle Y-cable >> USB mouse B-device

Ziddey, the XDA modder, doesn't have a USB DAC to test with for the time being.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40081522&postcount=204

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,107 of 9,526
Apr 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,108 of 9,526
Quote:
Panvi is reporting some issues with it that Meizu is working with them to resolve, but I don't know if they will be phone specific issues.

Still, it's appealing to me that this might be the way I was looking for to turn my phone into a mobile Android HTPC as long as I've got access to a monitor and keyboard. Keep a little USB hub, the dock, and my audio gear in a little bag and bring that over to buddies' apartments instead of my busted ol' laptop (easier when your circle of friends ALWAYS has spare monitors and keyboards). Also breaks down and stores easier than a laptop, even if I brought a portable monitor and/or keyboard.

As a brief followup, I'm also game to snatch one of the suckers up and try it out if someone would be kind enough to assist with ordering and whatnot. Also, any word on the resolution to those firmware issues? 

This is the first dock I've seen with USB OTG capability, and that might be a very useful thing indeed. If I do end up being able to snag one, I think it would be perfect for running into a small DAC/amp combo (the Meier PCSTEP, in my case) for listening in bed. 

Back to the usual! Apologies for the intrusion. :)

EDIT: Well here's at least one other dock, although it's meant for the car (and seems a bit overpriced IMO): http://www.craigsdocks.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-car-dock/

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,111 of 9,526
I'm in the market for my first portable amp to use only with my phone.  At the moment I have an iPhone, but I want to switch to a Galaxy S4 when it comes out.  I dont know much about phone audio and was a little confused about compatability between iPhones and other devices like the Galaxy. 

Is there something I could purchase now to use with my iPhone that will also work with the Galaxy S in the future?  Is connectivity the main feature to look for in terms of making it compatable with the phone your using it with? 

Would an iPhone only be able to connect using the pin port on the bottom, and USB for other devices or is there a work around to make something like the FiiO e12 work on both?  

This amp will only be used with my phone.....I have a desktop setup for at home use.  Can someone recommend a sub $200 amp for both phones, or is that even a possibility without sacrificing quality?

Thanks for you input!

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,112 of 9,526
StringBoi, you have a lot of pretty common questions for jumping into this. In short, most devices in my experience work either with Android or with Apple. There are ways around this (you can get a DAC/amp combo that can be run as amplifier only and use an LOD until you get your S4, for example), but it appears to be generally true. There are a handful of devices that can work with both (the V-Moda Verza and the Go-Dap X [I believe] it was based upon come to mind), but they're pretty rare at this point.

What might be a good idea is to make sure you have May 4th off and attend the Canlanta get-together (link). There will be a lot of great gear there and plenty of opportunity to actually see and hear how these things work, instead of trying to decipher it all from articles and forum posts. Doing your research is almost always a good thing, but getting a chance to actually interact with the gear and the people who know the most about it would be just invaluable. 

If you aren't able to or interested in attending, I actually think this is the most useful thread I've come across on learning how to utilize Android devices to get excellent sound while on the go. While it might seem a bit daunting at first, I'd recommend starting at the beginning and working your way through. I've done that with this and numerous other threads, and I've yet to regret it. (I'm casually working my way through the 500+ page IE8 thread now... that one will take a while). You'll learn a great deal along the way, I guarantee it. 

Anyway, hope this was at least somewhat helpful. If you just want a brief off-the-cuff recommendation that meets your $200 budget, I'd say an inexpensive LOD (like this Fiio L9) and entry-level DAC/amp (like this iBasso D-Zero) would be a solid start. Although without knowing what headphones you're using, it would be tough to know for sure :wink:

Let us know how you get on, bud!!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,113 of 9,526
Quote:
Anyway, hope this was at least somewhat helpful. If you just want a brief off-the-cuff recommendation that meets your $200 budget, I'd say an inexpensive LOD (like this Fiio L9) and entry-level DAC/amp (like this iBasso D-Zero) would be a solid start. Although without knowing what headphones you're using, it would be tough to know for sure :wink:

Another affordable USB DAC/amp, $99 TCG U-SKIN
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655746/tcg-u-skin-the-portable-slim-decoding-amp-dac-one-machine

. bypassing the iPod/iPhone internal amp:
iPod/iPhone > line out >> TCG U-SKIN amp >> headphones

. bypassing the Galaxy S3 internal DAC & internal amp:
Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> TCG U-SKIN DAC/amp >> headphones

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #2,114 of 9,526
Apr 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,115 of 9,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back