Android: Neutron Music Player
Aug 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #526 of 1,374
External refers to both the SDcard in the phone's SD card slot and USB storage drives, whether they're thumb drives or card readers. Click on that and let it scan - Neutron should scan both the SD card in the phone and the SDcard in the USB OTG card reader.

Nope, still scans only the phones sdcard.
The USB's sd card is of course the same format as the phone's one (both formatted by the phone: in the meantime by HTC 10).
Strangely the phone's browser reads the usb sd card.
Maybe Neutron has a tricky option which I missed?

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #527 of 1,374
Try this setting:

EQ

Band 1
Center frequency - 30hz
Type - Low Shelf, Q
Width - 1.0
Gain - +2.0dB

Band 2
Center frequency - 2000hz
Type - Peak, Q
Width - 1.8
Gain - +2.0dB

Band 3
Center frequency - 11250hz
Type - Peak, Q
Width - 1.8
Gain - -2.0dB

Note:
Make sure subsonic filter is enabled (this is elsewhere in the DSP options
Q refers to width, there's another option there but I don't use it as I'm more familiar with how Q works

Crossfeed
(This is what I use on my HD600 so YMMV)

Center freq - 1250hz
Gain - +6dB

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #529 of 1,374
I am new to Neutron and I am not able to play the DSD files, need help as to what I need to do for the settings.
Thanking you in advance. Burt

If dsd no sound on ext dac, then set vol max on Neutron. If you got no sound on Neutron, I have no help

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #531 of 1,374
Any opinions regarding neutron vs foobar ?

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #532 of 1,374
Any opinions regarding neutron vs foobar ?
I have tried both. Foobar interface isn't to my like. Neutron isn't great but still better. And I prefer sound of Neutron.
Last versions of Neutron has hi-res but there is a long way before it works as intended. I can't get hi-res from my HTC 10 - tried all combos of Generic driver options. Still 48/16.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #534 of 1,374
I own every single Android app that counts and only two of them are really worth buying, without having another thought are Neutron and UAPP.
UAPP is nice and has good/very good SQ, as long as you're purist hating DSP/EQ.

But if you're not: go for Neutron, IMHO and to my ears it beats any other player including PC Foobar2000, JRiver and HQplayer (though to be fair I never got the time and nerve to setup EQ in the last one).

My 2 rigs used for evaluation:
Mobile: DragonFly Red or Mojo ->modded AKG K7XX, B&O H6 2nd Gen and Sennheiser IE800.
Bedroom: Gustard X20Pro->LST TS->Abrahamsen v2.0up->Stax SR-007MK1 and SR-009

Basically if you have any kind of external DAC, Neutron (or UAPP if youre purist) is way to go.
If you dont - just buy one already!

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #535 of 1,374
I own every single Android app that counts and only two of them are really worth buying, without having another thought are Neutron and UAPP.
UAPP is nice and has good/very good SQ, as long as you're purist hating DSP/EQ.

But if you're not: go for Neutron, IMHO and to my ears it beats any other player including PC Foobar2000, JRiver and HQplayer (though to be fair I never got the time and nerve to setup EQ in the last one).

Mobile: DragonFly Red or Mojo ->modded AKG K7XX, B&O H6 2nd Gen and Sennheiser IE800.

Basically if you have any kind of external DAC, Neutron (or UAPP if youre purist) is way to go.
UAPP now has parametric EQ but no evaluation version as long as I see.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #536 of 1,374
UAPP now has parametric EQ but no evaluation version as long as I see.

Yes it does, it's not expensive and I bought it of course, but there is nothing to write home about. EQ interface (while not he worst one I've seen) leaves something to desire and above all EQ sq is just on par with standard band eq included with the app: not in the same league as Neutron's eq.
AFAIR UAPP uses external eq plugin by some other software company.

If I may digress: I have yet to find equalizer software with comparable quality (to Neutron's) for my Foobar on PC, as this is still something I am really missing.
I've tried to convince Dmitry to sell PC version of Neutron, but he thinks it will be too easy to find it on torrent sites so the answer is no :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #538 of 1,374
I own every single Android app that counts and only two of them are really worth buying, without having another thought are Neutron and UAPP.......

When connecting to your Mojo/external DAC, does Neutron output in native (eg DSD output will show white color) or does it limited to 48khz like some other app?

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #539 of 1,374
When connecting to your Mojo/external DAC, does Neutron output in native (eg DSD output will show white color) or does it limited to 48khz like some other app?

Native up to the hardware limits. You gotta enable direct output driver in config though and then it shines. Using Mojo with android system drivers is pointless, really :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #540 of 1,374
I have tried both. Foobar interface isn't to my like. Neutron isn't great but still better. And I prefer sound of Neutron.
Last versions of Neutron has hi-res but there is a long way before it works as intended. I can't get hi-res from my HTC 10 - tried all combos of Generic driver options. Still 48/16.
Where can I see if hi-res is working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back