And......my Grado SR80i's are ruined :(
Dec 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:
I don't need to be fair - I just plunked down $99 for a set of headphones (new record for me, btw) and they're broken within a week.  That just shouldn't happen.  I buy computers (much more complicated machines) and this doesn't happen.  It sure as heck shouldn't happen with headphones.

I don't know what computers you're buying, but in 6 years working in tech support and QA, I've seen every kind of absurd failure from every point in ownership/usage.  I have seen machines and even individual parts an order of magnitude more expensive than the SR-80s dead on arrival more times than I can count.  There are some things you should really keep in mind here:

1.  If the headphones are damaged or defective, Grado will most likely replace them free of charge.  You shouldn't even begin to question the quality of your purchase until you exchange it for a non defective unit.

2.  The defectiveness of the product could be the fault of any one of a number of agents.  It could be Grado's fault (defective product - unlikely due to quality control), it could be the couriers fault (damaged package or storage at temperatures unsafe for the drivers), it could be the vendors fault (damaged the package, or maybe knowingly sent you a damaged or refurb unit), and of course it could be your fault (through any one of a number of possible misuses).  Suffice it to say, you don't have anywhere near enough information to pin the problem on Grado, though I'd be very surprised to hear that they didn't help you any way.

3.  You seem to be under the impression you've purchased a high end piece of equipment.  You have in fact purchased what is essentially the lowest end product in this entire market (audiophile headphones).  If it isn't the lowest end, it is certainly in the bottom tier.It is simply a separate market than standard headphones, assuming a baseline allocation of cost resources to sound quality.  The SR-80's offer the sound quality of a more expensive headphone, but the build quality is crap.  If you were to buy the same sound in a better built housing, it would cost you around twice as much.  These cans are a great way to get the best bang for your buck in terms of SQ, but don't assume you purchased a premium product.  High end Grado's have very similar sound tech, and cost literally 10 times as much.

So yea, send them back.  It sucks that something is wrong with your unit, but you have no business being upset about it until they tell you they won't replace it free of charge.  The absurd modern day convenience of ordering niche electronic equipment over the internet and having it appear at your house on demand carries certain necessary overhead and risk.  Good luck getting this straightened out, SR-80's are incredibly kickass cans for the money, and you'll probably love them once you get a working unit.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #32 of 74

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a phone that WON'T turn to garbage after a week?  I'm seriously angry and don't want to spend my money on another set of cans that's just going to be worthless in a week.

:frowning2:

Grado has excellent customer service.  If you contact them and describe the issue they will take care of you.  No need for a different set of cans unless you just don't like the sound of the SR80 or suffering from buyer's remorse and looking for an excuse to jump ship.  Just saying. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 74
This is why I hated working customer service - people like you. After all your anger Amazon agreed to send a new pair - usually they will try to fix the product instead - and I bet you are still not happy. Sell the new Grados and move on dude.

Actually, after re-reading your tripe, it sounds like your rich enought to just throw these out and start again - after refusing to even deal with the seller or Grado for a refund or replacement and hanging up the phone on Amazon. Pretty nice of Amazon to step up for you. A+ for them.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #34 of 74

Quote:
You're right.  I'm over-reacting and really acting like a drama queen.  

I apologize for that.  I'm just seriously bummed about it and don't have the good sense to keep my fingers away from the keyboard until I get a little more perspective.

Amazon first told me that I'd have to deal with the third-party - I told them to forget about it - I'd just stop ordering from Amazon - and I hung up in disgust (still pretty angry at that time).  Then I got an email saying they were sending a new set no charge - next day air.  I hope it's true.  We'll find out tomorrow...

But now I'm really sorta gun-shy about these phones.  Is there anything I need to know to keep these things from blowing?  Do I need to EQ the bass out of them or something?  Nothing I was listening to sounded 'excessive', so I'm still struggling to figure out what the heck the problem was.

For those coming in late, the OP is getting a brand new pair from Amazon.

To disastermouse:

Good to hear you're willing to give it another shot. I had a pair of SR225i that could serve as little speakers if I needed them to. There is nothing special you need to do, just enjoy the music. Grados are known as excellent rock cans, and there's a genre that is rarely "polite" or "easy" on drivers (though of course this makes no difference whatsoever). You just got a bad pair. It happens with just about everything.

As you spend more time on Head-Fi you'll see the tremendous reputation Grado has accumulated. The company would scarcely have gained such respect if they frequently put out bad products. Plus, John Grado actually visits Head-Fi from time to time (he's not a member, though, as he's very busy) and is a member of the headphone community as well as a headphone maker. He'd be the last person I'd expect to knowingly make and market a shoddy product.

We can all understand your frustration. Hopefully your new pair will erase these unpleasant memories and you'll be able to enjoy the music. Happy listening!

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #35 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
I don't need to be fair - I just plunked down $99 for a set of headphones (new record for me, btw) and they're broken within a week.  That just shouldn't happen.  I buy computers (much more complicated machines) and this doesn't happen.  It sure as heck shouldn't happen with headphones.

I don't know what computers you're buying,

Macs only now.  True story - I actually hosed my iMac by logging in as root and trying to 'fix' some things - ended up rendering my entire HD inoperable.  I brought it to the Mac store and told them exactly what I'd done and how it was my fault - and I was prepared to pay for what was, in this instance, totally my fault.  They checked it out, tried to boot from external disk - no luck.  Now I thought I'd be paying a LOT for parts and labor.  He said, "Your iMac's still in warranty (by about a month, LOL) - no charge.  We'll have to replace the hard drive, though."

Just imagine trying to get that sort of support from a PC 'vendor'.  I can't see it EVER happening.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 74

Quote:
This is why I hated working customer service - people like you. After all your anger Amazon agreed to send a new pair - usually they will try to fix the product instead - and I bet you are still not happy. Sell the new Grados and move on dude.

Actually, after re-reading your tripe, it sounds like your rich enought to just throw these out and start again - after refusing to even deal with the seller or Grado for a refund or replacement and hanging up the phone on Amazon. Pretty nice of Amazon to step up for you. A+ for them.

Yeah...I acted like a child.  I still do that from time to time (personality disorders are a bummer, too).  I'm sorry if I offended - and yeah - I'm hoping that the new pair will not fall apart.

As for 'rich' - wow, I would never place myself in that camp - but few people probably do.  Still though, I'm really a working stiff - just no family or whatnot so I have a little bit more disposable income that some, I guess.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #37 of 74
Just to echo the Grado love, I've got a pair of SR80s (not 80is) that I bought at least ten years ago. I've had to replace the pads (and cushes are way easier on your ears for long sessions) but that's it.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 74
been blasting metal through mine, nothing wrong with um  I'm thinkging about upgradeing to the 325i anyone wana buy my 80i's?

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #39 of 74
ITT: the OP whines and doesn't want to help himself, instead he insists on spending more to fix the problem.

Keep throwing your money away OP, I'm sure you'll be happy someday.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #40 of 74
ITT:

Clueless late poster fails to realize that a solution is forthcoming - as has been stated.

Foolishly spending more money would be buying the same BRAND or same model. Buying new cans isn't foolish - as now that I've heard a sound I like, I can't very well go back to Bluetooth phones or my cheapo Senns.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #41 of 74

Stay the heck away from headphones period. Blow up some GI Joes instead.
Quote:

Stay the heck away from Grado phones in the future I guess. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 74

Stay the heck away from headphones period. Blow up some GI Joes instead.

Hey. You could read beyond the first two posts. I've apologized for being childish and throwing a fit - contrition is a rare thing on the Internet - so maybe read to the second page before sniping?

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #43 of 74
SoSpecial: OP is chill now no worries he's getting new grado's and will have audio bliss soon.

Funny thing is i've ABUSED my grados for over a year now and theyre still pumping out jams, its amazing. The y-slit part of the cable turned really hard and started cracking and one day my left side just died. I decided to open up and fix it myself. After trying to resolder with no luck i went into rage (much like the op) and took a soldering iron to the poor grados (atrocious i know). After the torture i left them for dead and bought some portapros. After about a month i started having grado-withdrawal and decided to try recabling them (also to see if i could recable) with some old speaker wire and a ratshack jack. I almost wet myself...they worked! And sounded awesome at that! I decided to tear off the crappy hard plastic on the y split of the old grado cable and cut down on it and found the problem: the hard plastic led to a cut in the wire down!
Grado-SR60i drivers built like a TANK

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #45 of 74
IMO, Grados all suffer from some poor build design that effects their durability. I had the same thing happen with my MS-1s constantly, as I have short hair it would often get stuck in the netting and cause annoying buzzing under any significant bass. Constantly had to clean off the foamies, and near-weekly I had to take a pair of tweezers to pick out the bits of hair stuck in the netting to stop the bass from buzzing.

Also the cables that they use with them when using them portable. The endlessly-spinning cans tangle the wires and constantly have to be straightened out or they put tension on the cable, this tends to cause them to eventually tear on the little Y divider around the neck and cause one of the channels to die until you recable them. I've had 2 pairs of grados that this has happened to, both just after a year. I just gave up and bought different headphones, no other headphone I've owned has given me these issues or required constant maintenance like the Grados have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back