And......my Grado SR80i's are ruined :(
Dec 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #61 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
I think the main reason I was so upset is...well...aside from being so bright, I was really digging the clarity and dreaded going back to something less.

Oh, it will pull you in. I'm guessing you haven't heard about the dreaded Upgrado? In case you haven't, it's a disease that afflicts particularly those who hang around Head-Fi for too long. It's an inexplicable and inexorable desire to purchase a higher end Grado in order to explore what a further refinement of the Grado sound might be like. You'll be wanting the SR225i next, and then the RS1i, and then....

i have it...... want the 325i,but not sure if worth it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #62 of 74
Great elitist attitude, the obvious solution to getting a defective product is to throw it away, complain, and spend twice as much on something else.

My comment on Dell was about their customer support, what does your comment even have to do with what I said? All your friend had to do was call Dell and they would have had everything sorted within a week. It's great that you've had such good experiences with Apple's support service, mine hasn't been so great.. That didn't stop me from buying an iPhone 4. 

This thread probably should have proved to you that defective products exist, bad luck, try again. No need to get dramatic, it happens. 

Quote:
Had a friend get a refurb Dell. It (shocker) broke on day 2. She asked how to fix it. I told her to unplug it and shove it out a window and then buy a Mac like I suggested in the first place.Yeah...I know Sony makes better high-end stuff - but I've only tried the low-end stuff.I think the main reason I was so upset is...well...aside from being so bright, I was really digging the clarity and dreaded going back to something less.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #63 of 74

Great elitist attitude, the obvious solution to getting a defective product is to throw it away, complain, and spend twice as much on something else.

My comment on Dell was about their customer support, what does your comment even have to do with what I said? All your friend had to do was call Dell and they would have had everything sorted within a week. It's great that you've had such good experiences with Apple's support service, mine hasn't been so great.. That didn't stop me from buying an iPhone 4. 

This thread probably should have proved to you that defective products exist, bad luck, try again. No need to get dramatic, it happens. 

My friend didn't get any help from Dell. First they told her it was a software problem and made her contact one of the software component companies (I forget if it was MS for the OS or one HD manufacturer for firmware or antivirus support). I don't remember the exact details - the bottom line was that there never was a satisfactory resolution to her problem. Each place she got bumped to blamed it on someone else. After awhile she just ate the loss and resolved not to buy a Dell refurb ever again.

The reason I told her what I told her was that before she got the refurb, she specifically asked my advice and I told her to buy a Mac. She ignored it and then wanted further advice.

Imagine that someone asked your advice about Dre Beats vs a better can for similar money. You advise against the Beats, they get them. Beats break and/or suck - friend asks your advice to fix or whines about the problem.

I bet you'd get 'elitist' in a hurry.

Also, it's darned funny being called elitist in an audiophile headphone forum. Just sayin'...

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #64 of 74
. . 

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #65 of 74

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
For the cost and the reputation he puts on these things...

I really shouldn't have to do that.  They should have been built right to begin with.

To say this fairly you really need to know how frequently the drivers come out new and fail. The fact of the matter is that you dont. With only very rare exceptions Grados come off the line working fine. Swap them out for a different set.

I don't need to be fair - I just plunked down $99 for a set of headphones (new record for me, btw) and they're broken within a week.  That just shouldn't happen.  I buy computers (much more complicated machines) and this doesn't happen.  It sure as heck shouldn't happen with headphones.

ok, i must say i skipped past everything merely to comment on this little tidbit you put in.

you buy computers.. I BUILD COMPUTERS. and i will tell you, the failure rate on any given piece of hardware is stupidly higher than any headphone (i'd bet my house on a random pair of skullcandy vs corsair ram, PSU's etc. (top of the line brand with lifetime warranties) any day of the week.

i just had a 2 year old graphics card that was $600 new, worth about $450 now fry on me, and they replaced it.. with a newer model. did i go crying that they screwed me over because it broke? no. i RMA'd it and got a new one in 2 weeks.

heres the thing. be happy ti was only a week, and not outside the warranty. the majority of the time, computers break soon after warranties are up (there are conspiracy theories about certain companies hard-wiring kill dates on hardware)

a recenty study showed that within 2 years, an average of 3% of all harddrives fail. 3%. think of how many harddrives there are, and most have 1 year warranties.

dont go crying foul if you dont even begin to understand how all of this works.

love and kisses
~Z

edit: i see your a mac fanboy.

"it just works"

mhmm.. did you know macintosh has the highest failure rate of any computer company right now? i used macs since performa 550's, and switched in about 06, 07 when they started turning out mass produced overpriced crap.

remember when they first released the imac 20"? year.. that had a 31% failure rate in a case study of 1730 imacs at a university.

take a look at the chart here from the survey:
http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #66 of 74
Actually, I don't know why the OP was so pissy.  Electronics will fail usually at one of two times.  Very early in the lifespan or very late in the lifespan.  Warranties are there to cover early failure and DOAs.  The fact that it died earlier means he's covered and shouldn't have to worry, that's exactly what the warranty is intended for.  Now that I've seen you calm down OP, get a grip on reality and realize this applies to about all electronics.

Equally, Macs and computers DO fail.  I personally wouldn't recommend Dell either because I had a really bad experience, but that's me.  The only time I buy vendor is when I need a laptop, otherwise I build.  I remember one nothing seemed to go right, four or five parts failed in  a week.  The one before it went for four years without so much as a sniffle.  The parts used in the systems were identical make and models too - crap happens.

As for the Mac's "intuitive" interface just feels neutered to me.  The advanced stuff is usually buried in places I'm not used to.  They aren't smooth and slick to a seasoned Windows (or probably Linux too) user, they're counter-productive and cumbersome.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #68 of 74

Quote:
Actually, I don't know why the OP was so pissy.  Electronics will fail usually at one of two times.  Very early in the lifespan or very late in the lifespan.  Warranties are there to cover early failure and DOAs.  The fact that it died earlier means he's covered and shouldn't have to worry, that's exactly what the warranty is intended for.  Now that I've seen you calm down OP, get a grip on reality and realize this applies to about all electronics.

Equally, Macs and computers DO fail.  I personally wouldn't recommend Dell either because I had a really bad experience, but that's me.  The only time I buy vendor is when I need a laptop, otherwise I build.  I remember one nothing seemed to go right, four or five parts failed in  a week.  The one before it went for four years without so much as a sniffle.  The parts used in the systems were identical make and models too - crap happens.

As for the Mac's "intuitive" interface just feels neutered to me.  The advanced stuff is usually buried in places I'm not used to.  They aren't smooth and slick to a seasoned Windows (or probably Linux too) user, they're counter-productive and cumbersome.

A well tuned Linux system is a thing of beauty, once I got my Ubuntu all configured and got my drivers all in order it was so nice and things were so much faster.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #69 of 74
Wow. I know it sucks to have something go bad on you that quickly, but reading the OP's posts have me quite annoyed. This is the summary of the thread.

OP: My headphones broke. Grado is garbage.
Poster 1: That sucks. Are they new? You can get them replaced.
OP. Yes, they are new. No, I don't want to fix them because I have to pay for shipping, even if the headphones cost 10x more than shipping would ever be. Grado is garbage.

REPEAT.

Guess what, OP, electronics break all the time. Deal with it. Actually, it's quite easy for you to deal with it since they're freaking new and are covered by the warranty. If you're so adamant about the "principle" of not paying shipping, contact your seller to cover it. If they won't, cry me a river. There are thousands of people who have Grados and they work just fine, me included.

Everyone on Amazon is selling the SR80i on Amazon for $99. Why would you not buy from a seller where the order was fulfilled by Amazon? Free printing label for returns.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #72 of 74
@OP

I would take the pad off your "broken" pair of sr80is and hold them up to a bright light, vertically so that you can see any tiny hairs poking out. I've pulled out a 4 1/2 inch long hair from behind the driver silk material. Also, grattle is more common than you think, and the people in this thread shouldn't have asked you to suck on the headphones so soon. On my pair, wrinkles developed on the driver after 2 years of abuse. All your driver has is a loose hair.

If you don't see a hair, let me know.

Also, people need to chill in this thread. If I had this happen to me in the first week of ownership, I would have destroyed someone.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #73 of 74
everyone also seemed to miss that OP calmed down. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back