And......my Grado SR80i's are ruined :(
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
Sounds like there's hair stuck in them - in a certain part of the mid-bass.

I'd been listening to some really heavy bass songs, but didn't imagine they'd get this screwed up this quickly.  I'm seriously bummed now.

And so the lesson becomes - 

Stay the heck away from Grado phones in the future I guess.  Sucks to have blown $100 bucks to learn that though.

(Yes, I've blown in the mesh - it's the actual speakers....what the heck?)

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 74
Can anyone recommend a phone that WON'T turn to garbage after a week?  I'm seriously angry and don't want to spend my money on another set of cans that's just going to be worthless in a week.

:frowning2:

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 74
Are you sure its not your source/program material clipping?

Despite my best efforts to destroy grado drivers with excessive SPL (includes laying headphones flat on a desk pads down, covering ports with business cards and playing "smack my bitch up" by The Prodigy at levels adequate to lift said buisness cartds) I have been unable. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 74
Yep.  It's not the source - I've listened to the same music with the same source and the same set-up before and no buzzing - it's actually getting WORSE.

Sennheiser 497s (YEARS OLD, mind you) have no problem.  Never again, Mr. Grado - never again.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 74
For the cost and the reputation he puts on these things...

I really shouldn't have to do that.  They should have been built right to begin with.  I didn't pay shipping from AMAZON to have them sent to me, but now I have to pay shipping (and dig out the invoice, wherever that is) and send it to them?  Really?

How about...I dunno - build a product that doesn't fall apart in A WEEK??

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 74
Sounds like the occasional Grattle, almost every Grado owner has this issue once in a while, even on the high end models. 
Pull off the pad and gently suck on the driver, make sure not to suck too hard or create a vacuum though, or you'll damage the driver!
Also check the earpads for hairs, they love getting stuck in there and stick out into the driver housing.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 74

Quote:

I really shouldn't have to do that.  They should have been built right to begin with.

To say this fairly you really need to know how frequently the drivers come out new and fail. The fact of the matter is that you dont. With only very rare exceptions Grados come off the line working fine. Swap them out for a different set.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 74

Quote:
Sounds like the occasional Grattle, almost every Grado owner has this issue once in a while, even on the high end models. 
Pull off the pad and gently suck on the driver, make sure not to suck too hard or create a vacuum though, or you'll damage the driver!
Also check the earpads for hairs, they love getting stuck in there and stick out into the driver housing.

No good.  Can anyone suggest a phone that won't break in a week?  Seriously?

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 74

Quote:
Quote:

No good.  Can anyone suggest a phone that won't break in a week?  Seriously?

You mean excluding the very remote possibility that you get a bad one? unfortunately no. Nobody is perfect, every mfr of pretty much everything puts a bad one up for sale every now and again. This is what warranties are for.

Rather than playing a drama queen on this, why not try to let the vendor make good on his warranty? Do you have an agenda against Grado?

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 74

Quote:

Quote:

I really shouldn't have to do that.  They should have been built right to begin with.

To say this fairly you really need to know how frequently the drivers come out new and fail. The fact of the matter is that you dont. With only very rare exceptions Grados come off the line working fine. Swap them out for a different set.

I don't need to be fair - I just plunked down $99 for a set of headphones (new record for me, btw) and they're broken within a week.  That just shouldn't happen.  I buy computers (much more complicated machines) and this doesn't happen.  It sure as heck shouldn't happen with headphones.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #14 of 74

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't need to be fair - I just plunked down $99 for a set of headphones (new record for me, btw) and they're broken within a week.  That just shouldn't happen.  I buy computers (much more complicated machines) and this doesn't happen.  It sure as heck shouldn't happen with headphones.

I have had computer parts break within a week of buying. IME its more common than with headphones. The vendor has never given me any trouble swapping the part out for a different one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back