Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,036 of 3,814
within the two and a half hours of listening to the valvo red label df91 - tung-sol kenrad dl92 combo the sound and especially the bass extension has improved that much and to a level so amazingly good that the bass quality of the vp combo is maybe more than reached and the soundstage of the vp combo seems to be smaller in comparison.

i have to compare this two combos again tomorrow !!!!

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,037 of 3,814
Thanks GG, though reading the specifications it does say AC as well as DC.

Here is another from the same seller, what do you think of this one?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-Multimeter-Electronic-Tester-Digital-Clamp-Volt-Meter-Ohms-Large-Display-/400529001111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d41638a97

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,038 of 3,814
Quote:
Thanks GG, though reading the specifications it does say AC as well as DC. (*1)

Here is another from the same seller, what do you think of this one?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-Multimeter-Electronic-Tester-Digital-Clamp-Volt-Meter-Ohms-Large-Display-/400529001111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d41638a97

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-Multimeter-Electronic-Tester-Digital-Clamp-Volt-Meter-Ohms-Large-Display-/400529001111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d41638a97:

This is definetely the wrong type, it is made to measure big cables while voltage applied for example testing existing power installations or the power consumption of your dish washer!

(*1):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-LCD-Multimeter-Voltmeter-OHM-Meter-AMP-Meter-Volt-Meter-Bright-Display-/380678810812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item58a239acbc&_uhb

Yes, AC and DC voltage, but only DC current - nevertheless everything providing you need for your purpose so you can buy one.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,039 of 3,814
at the moment i use my lunch break time to relax, right now i am listening to Harmonia Mundi - 50 cd´s special edition - cd 28 - Cantors before Bach - with my now main setup (tu-05 - valvo red label df91 - tung-sol kenrad dl92 - DIY Grado style headphone), but whyever, i replaced the g-cushions switching to the l-cushions (bowls), maybe because it gets pretty hot today.

I am really blown away by the presentation and imaging and reality and live like presentation of the recording space, my position in the audience etc. .

while the g-cushions add some space but sometimes sounding a little bit thinner and sometimes something like a little bit how to say weird, with the bowls i have the feeling to sit first row, choir, singers and instruments slightly above and in front of me, a row from left to right, you can look around, but the echoes, the reflections give you the feeling they are placed just in front of the altar of an old church, you feel the dimension and size of the room behind, the ceiling height.

this goes hand in hand with even more clarity and precision, the soundstage can´t be called small or wide, but so realistic!

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,040 of 3,814
Just pull the trigger on TUR-06. Will be joining your discussion in a couple months. I ask Shikada san about how long do I have to wait if I'm ordering now and he say that it's 2-3 months wait time right now.

This is probably my setup for TUR-06.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,041 of 3,814
Welcome to the A2P Waiting Club. Mine was ordered 14th June. I was hoping to get it before my trip to Oz in 8th August but after my conversation with Shikada-san on Monday, I don't think he'll make it in time. Pity 'cos I'm organising a Perth Head-Fi meet to show the folks there some of Japan's offerings.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,042 of 3,814
Quote:
Welcome to the A2P Waiting Club. Mine was ordered 14th June. I was hoping to get it before my trip to Oz in 8th August but after my conversation with Shikada-san on Monday, I don't think he'll make it in time. Pity 'cos I'm organising a Perth Head-Fi meet to show the folks there some of Japan's offerings.

Hope it will arrive before my birthday at the end of September. It'll be a nice birthday gift to myself. 
biggrin.gif

Can't you borrow his demo unit and bring it to Oz? He probably can lend you both for the meeting.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #1,043 of 3,814
Quote:

Whoohoo! I hope you can get a loaner.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,044 of 3,814
Mtthefirst.

Welcome! I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the 06'. I know Anak was so impressed he purchased one. I have a feeling that it is the 06' that is really going to be the amp that places ASP firmly on the map. Much more affordable and at the price I think there is very little out there to touch it.

Are you going to succumb to tube rolling madness? :D The great thing with the 06's is that it is even cheaper to succumb and though I have yet to hear the 06' as you have probably read I have found and now GG and Woodcans the benefit to rolling tubes on these amps.

GG, I love your descriptions! I let my Girlfriend (the one who lives in Vienna) who was visiting last week listen to my set up. She sings in one of the oldest choirs in Vienna so is familiar with live performance.

Like many musicians she listens out of an iPod and buds, thinks there is no point in anything else.
She looked at my set up and said, "but what can that do, it can't possible give me the feeling of live, its a machine!"

She then listened. First I saw a smile, then it broadened and then her face turned to shock, she was listening to the HDTT recording of Beethoven's Mass in C. She took the T5P's off her head and started to babble! " How on earth is this able to show where all the voices are, how can it show them in depth as well as width, how can it feel they are layered in the hall like I can see them from a seat in the audience. How can it capture the sense of the space and occasion, its like a time machine taking me back to the moment it was performed!"

Honestly, this is true, I have rarely seen her so ebullient and a "thing", she is not into material possessions but she could not believe that music could be played back with such reality and a feeling of being there. She spent the next few hours going over recording after recording.. I think we have another convert!

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,045 of 3,814
I wrote all of that then saw other comments! AC, It would be great if you could get the loaners for the meet your going to, I doubt he will be going anywhere or have time to listen looking at the waiting list!

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,046 of 3,814
Guys, I should get my TU-05 this week. It has been shipped and arrived in custom now 
tongue_smile.gif

Also I received the tubes from the Ebay guy.  But... how can I be sure that they are the Mullard 3S4 That I ordered since it is not writen "Mullard" on the tube or on the case ? is it normal that the manufacturer name or brand does not show anywhere ?

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,047 of 3,814
Quote:
Mtthefirst.

Welcome! I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the 06'. I know Anak was so impressed he purchased one. I have a feeling that it is the 06' that is really going to be the amp that places ASP firmly on the map. Much more affordable and at the price I think there is very little out there to touch it.

Are you going to succumb to tube rolling madness?
biggrin.gif
The great thing with the 06's is that it is even cheaper to succumb and though I have yet to hear the 06' as you have probably read I have found and now GG and Woodcans the benefit to rolling tubes on these amps.

GG, I love your descriptions! I let my Girlfriend (the one who lives in Vienna) who was visiting last week listen to my set up. She sings in one of the oldest choirs in Vienna so is familiar with live performance.

Like many musicians she listens out of an iPod and buds, thinks there is no point in anything else.
She looked at my set up and said, "but what can that do, it can't possible give me the feeling of live, its a machine!"

She then listened. First I saw a smile, then it broadened and then her face turned to shock, she was listening to the HDTT recording of Beethoven's Mass in C. She took the T5P's off her head and started to babble! " How on earth is this able to show where all the voices are, how can it show them in depth as well as width, how can it feel they are layered in the hall like I can see them from a seat in the audience. How can it capture the sense of the space and occasion, its like a time machine taking me back to the moment it was performed!"

Honestly, this is true, I have rarely seen her so ebullient and a "thing", she is not into material possessions but she could not believe that music could be played back with such reality and a feeling of being there. She spent the next few hours going over recording after recording.. I think we have another convert!

I try it both at the portable headphone festival in tokyo with my Fitear MH335DW. Both are sound very impressive. TUR-06 seem to have quite a bit more bass than TU-05b. I'll starting with just standard tube. Tube rolling will definitely be the next step. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,049 of 3,814
Quote:

This perfectly describes the same experience i had today. a lot of how´s and why´s in the same way as for us sometimes this amp sounds unbelievable and exactly describing this fascinating live aspect of this wonderful amp.

To be on the safe side, whenever you borrow her your amp, don´t give her the charger !
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,050 of 3,814
Guys, I should get my TU-05 this week. It has been shipped and arrived in custom now 
tongue_smile.gif

Also I received the tubes from the Ebay guy.  But... how can I be sure that they are the Mullard 3S4 That I ordered since it is not writen "Mullard" on the tube or on the case ? is it normal that the manufacturer name or brand does not show anywhere ?

They are indeed Mullards. The lettering under "CV820" tells me that they were released to K spec which though not J spec which is military they still are military from what I can find out, though I am not sure the difference. The B indicates they were approved for use by the UK authority and finally the D tells that they were made in Mullards Mitcham factory (which was in Surrey, southwest of London)

The date code under the 3S4 indicates they were made in January 1959 (I think that is an N, if it is M then 1958!) The year is the first letter A was 1945 and the second letter the month, A=January

The arrow shows these were for military use as does the CV nomenclature!
Hope that helps! They sound lovely, will really go well with a German tube in the 1T4 stage for a balance of depth and weight and air and clarity

This is quite normal for Mil-spec tubes. I have purchased from the same seller and he has an excellent reputation so you have nothing to worry about, they look immaculate! I am so excited that your getting your amp this week, Yay, another joins the club and more listening impressions!

GG, she wanted to take the whole rig including my file of SD cards with her! Her thought was that I would not be away from them for long as she is back in September, I told her I loved her but there are limits! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back