Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #946 of 3,814
ultron df91 - ultron dl92 combo:

a niece surprise as this is a nice and sweet sounding combo. the only thing i miss a little bit is texture in general and in the bass area especially, bass goes not as deep as with the dream set.

i would prefer this combo to the valvo df91 - valvo dl92 combo.

the main downside is that i was told that ultron just bought whatever was available only branding it with the ultron label, so could be like winning the jack pot or not.

nevertheless much better than the stock tubes.

ultron df91 - philips dl92 combo:

bass extension and texture are back, but the sound is somewhat unbalanced, bass a little soft, i prefer the ultron - ultron combo.

p.s. i worked through nearly 20 combinations of tubes now to as fast as possible give you my impressions, so hopefully this will be a first decision base for one or another of you to buy or not to buy some of the german tubes i wrote about.

only the telefunken 1u4 is waiting to listen to, but the major work is done. 

i listened to all the tubes with my grado style headphone i posted a picture of before at medium impedance setting.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #947 of 3,814
to complement my postings about the different tube sets here are pictures of all sets not posted up to now (for the photography fans: out of camera, olympus E5, zuiko digital macro f3.5 35mm, camera set to high saturation and contrast to better see the printings on the tubes, WB set to 2700 kelvin, only resized, unedited):

lorenz:

valvo:

ultron:

telefunken:

siemens:

stock tubes:

all tubes together: 

p.s. while preparing everything for the photo shoots i got an impression of real tube rolling two lorenz tubes rolling from the desk falling down onto the floor, but good luck no damage.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #948 of 3,814
Quote:
Quickly, as I have precious little listening much less reading time.

GG, love the photos!! Nice!

Even happier to learn you like the valvos. I have a pair and will try them ASAP.

Apologies to all regarding lack of impressions. I have had a paucity of listening time this weekend, much to my dismay.

it's a honor to get this comment from a master of photography!

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #950 of 3,814
I don't yet (unfortunately), but am looking at getting a pair.

As the later models suffered from less treble roll-off, it will probably be the 25 Ohm DT48e, 1970s or later.

I just have a suspicion it might work with the ASP amps...

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #952 of 3,814
Quote:

As the later models suffered from less treble roll-off, it will probably be the 25 Ohm DT48e, 1970s or later.

i am sure you already have seen the nice article on innerfidelity about this headphone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/historic-beyerdynamic-dt-48-e-25-ohm

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #953 of 3,814
GermanGuy,

I'm still here, just been a bit preoccupied with work and a family illness.

Normal (posting) service will be resumed soon. 
L3000.gif

Andy.

Quote:
i just wanted to post 'nothing heard from smail1966 for a long time ?!' but as i see you are just online!!!!

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #954 of 3,814
inspired by the glowing ring around the tu-05's volume knob, i think of making an outer housing to protect the amp from any damage, could call it 'AMP 9000' based on a famous design one or another may have seen before (sample front design attached)
smile.gif
:

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #955 of 3,814
a quick'n dirty picture (taken with my tablet's camera) of my new 'play'-station:

i nearly forgot i made this short interconnect adjustable in length and more important it sounds better than all the cables i mentioned before!

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #956 of 3,814
Somewhere in here, I may be lucky and find another Ten 1T4SF :-

Otherwise here are my tube purchases for the day, Telefunken 1T4/DF91 & NEC 1T4-SF :-

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #957 of 3,814

i am sure you already have seen the nice article on innerfidelity about this headphone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/historic-beyerdynamic-dt-48-e-25-ohm

I'm not at all put off by this article, as I am quite aware of what this headphone can and can't do. On frequency range and dynamics, they are now clearly outdated. What keeps me interested is the promise of clear, detailed, liquid midrange. They are known to "do" some genres extremely well (vocal, instrumental, acoustic jazz), and to fail miserably (by modern standards) at others (orchestral, anything electronic). In some ways, this is similar to the strengths/weaknesses profile of the FAD Piano Fortes, which is why I thought that Ianmedium might be interested. It is certainly the reason why I am interested!

I would not suggest that anyone uses DT48s as their primary headphone any more than I would recommend anyone to use a 1962 Triumph TR4 as their only car!

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, as it is supposed to be about the ASP amps, not the DT48:).

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #959 of 3,814
Wow, I woke up Sunday morning to something I never thought I would see on this thread.. 14 new unread posts!! Wonderful!

GG, I love all the pictures of the tubes, thank goodness the rolling tubes survived! I must admit I am over cautious with these things but then my mind is cast back to their original intended purpose which was military radio sets and think how tough an environment they had to survive back then!

What is most fascinating it that it seems the stock tubes have been changed to what looks like GE's, is this correct GG and Woodcans? I have some GE's and they are very nice sounding tubes!

Anak, those tubes look wonderful, I am so looking forward to hearing what the NEC'S sound like and am really looking forward to you finding a pair of "Ten's"!

As to the inner fidelity link, well, he trashed my T5P's and I must admit I have lost all confidence in his reviews due to that as his thoughts made absolutely no sense to what I hear and what others who's ears I trust hear from these headphones.. Goodness knows what he would say about the PF's, I sure hope he never gets a chance to listen to them!

Last night I spent a wonderful 4 hours listening to so much music with the Marconi/ Lorenz set up, Got lost in Beethoven, Janos Staker, Dave Brubeck, Horace Silver and Sarah Vaughn, I went from full scale Orchestra to intimate Jazz club, from Audiophile recordings to simple Mono tapes made in the 40's transferred to digital. All were captivating, all engrossing!

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #960 of 3,814
Just reached home from neighboring country and successfully brought my third batch of tubes. 
size]

They occupied most of my luggage's space and fortunately I didn't face any trouble with the authority. 
size]

Once again, i would like to say thanks to my friend and his family who got lot of troubles because of these tubes shipments.

Btw, the progress in this thread is tremendously amazing and I have to trace few pages back soon to cover my trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back